Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Neighbor refuses to move her shed off my parents property. What should we do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 05:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That's what I was thinking in all this.

That phrase about "possession being 9/10th of the law" doesn't just apply to the shed from the landowner's perspective. It could also apply to the land from the shedowner's perspective.

A lawyer (or just as good, a PM to Heidi) is the best course here.

jmo
Old 10-13-2008, 05:57 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
here is washington, if someone encroaches on your property(fence, shed, etc) and it goes uncontested for 7 years... it is THEIR property. there is no legal way to fix it, other than have the county readjust the property lines so that THEY are paying property tax on that chunk that they took.
Also known as squatters rights.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
There is a real cheap fix but I would use it in last resort.

yup what he said fire sale ... you gave her a chance... its on your land BURN it
Old 10-16-2008, 11:11 AM

I see no real issue with emptying the thing out and putting her items on her property.

I would video tape the whole thing. Hopefully she comes out while you are removing her items and you can get it on tape that you are putting her items on her property allong with her shed. Take down the shed or move it onto to her property. If she has an issue and calls the cops (who else is she gonna call) They will not really have a quick answer and probably side with you as she will say that it is all on your property. Go for it. If you tape it and it goes to court she won't be able to say you damaged her items or took anything etc.

Further more. Who says any of it is hers. Does she have something in writing?
Old 10-16-2008, 12:35 PM

I'd burn it. We burn/teardown anything found on our property. Deer stands.. tents... it all gets trashed. If someone built a shed on our property, my g-pa would probably drag it up to the house if it was nice though.. and use it just to prove a point. If not, he's found my old Cummins oil starts a nice fire...
Old 10-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Don't listen to all these guys telling you to burn it down unless you want to face Arson charges. Do the right thing and do it in a manner that keeps you from legal action later on.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Don't listen to all these guys telling you to burn it down unless you want to face Arson charges. Do the right thing and do it in a manner that keeps you from legal action later on.
Aww Top, you're no fun.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
Aww Top, you're no fun.
I know but Arson is a major crime and they do not play around with that one.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK. Call the local fire department and have THEM burn the shed down as practice.

Is that better?
Old 10-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
OK. Call the local fire department and have THEM burn the shed down as practice.

Is that better?
Sure that works fine as long as you fix things legally first
Old 10-17-2008, 10:03 AM

If it is legal to burn in your area then 5gal gas, 1 box Graham crackers, chocolate bars, marshmellows. Invite the neighbor over and ask them to bring the beer.

What do you estimate the value of the shed? Junk it and be prepared to pay for it might be cheaper than a lawyer.

Sue them in small claims court?
Old 10-17-2008, 11:26 AM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
As I said earlier talk to a lawyer or your county assessors office.

Adverse Possession Issues

If the piece of property in dispute has been used by someone other than the owner for a number of years, the doctrine of adverse possession may apply. State laws vary with respect to time requirements; however, typically, the possession by the non-owner needs to be open, notorious, and under a claim of right. In some states, the non-owner must also pay the property taxes on the occupied land. A permissive use of property eliminates the ability to claim adverse possession.

Prescriptive Easements

Most litigated easements are those created without permission. An easement by prescription is one that is gained under principles of adverse possession. Prescriptive easements often arise on rural land when landowners fail to realize part of their land is being used, perhaps by an adjoining neighbor. Fences built in incorrect locations often result in the creation of prescriptive easements. If a person uses another's land for more than the STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS period prescribed by state law, that person may be able to derive an easement by prescription. The use of the land must be open, notorious, hostile, and continuous for a specified number of years as required by law in each state.

The time period for obtaining an easement by adverse possession does not begin to run until the one seeking adverse possession actually trespasses on the land. Thus, a negative easement cannot be acquired by prescription because no TRESPASS takes place. The use of the easement must truly be adverse to the rights of the landowner of the property through which the easement is sought and must be without the landowner's permission. If the use is with permission, it is not adverse. There must be a demonstration of continuous and uninterrupted use throughout the STATUTE of limitations period prescribed by state law. If the use is too infrequent for a reasonable landowner to bother protesting, the continuity requirement will probably not be satisfied.

Subsequent parties in the same position to the land using the right of way adversely can add up the time to meet the required statute of limitations. This situation is known as tacking. Thus, a prescriptive easement need not be exclusive; it can be shared among several users.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Chapter President

I'd be talking to codes as well to find out if a permit was required to build something of that size, if no permit was pulled it should not have been built. The other thing is something of that size should not have been that close to the property line in the first place. It's that space within your property line, I guess it's being called the easement?

I'd do some code leg work, talk to the lawyer with your info from codes. The whole they built a turd on my land and now after seven years they own that piece of land is a bunch of rubbish....meaning I think that law is stupid. Guess I need to put a barn on my neighbors property and hope she keeps her mouth shut for 7 years then I'll have an extra 1/2 acre......
Old 10-27-2008, 11:32 PM

funny thing is if you have a fire pit embers fly ... arson is so hard to prove...kids with matches, a bum living in the shed, combustable materials kept in the shed became unstable, so on and so forth. but i tell you what if i lost the land because she built somthing on it wow ... there would be Crimes commited can you say Hatfield-McCoy
Old 10-28-2008, 07:59 AM
TAS

This happined to a friend of mine. She rented the house for years then bought it. When she had the survey done, she found out the house behind hers had their driveway and shed "partially" on her property. Since the guilty party bought their house already like that, she had to get lawyers involved. The judge ruled that my friend could remove the encroaching driveway at her expense and the guilty party had to move the shed over on their property.

Quick Reply: Neighbor refuses to move her shed off my parents property. What should we do?