Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Need tips on inheriting a gun collection

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Marine
Did I mention I'd be interested in the Glock's?
No, but I am if they end up being sold.

If you're worried about transporting them across state lines (personally, I'd do it without even giving it a second thought), the easiest thing to do would be to take them to a gun dealer in New Jersey and have him ship the guns to a gun dealer near your home. There is usually a small fee associated with the transfer, but not much.

If it were me I'd just load them in the trunk and drive on down the road, but I'm also in Texas where doing so would be perfectly legal.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hoss,
I mentioned it twice, so I get both of them...
Mike
Old 09-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoss
No, but I am if they end up being sold.
Ahhhh, another fan of Tactical Tupperware...........

Amazing how the topic changed from Tips On Inheriting A Gun Collection to offers to help him lighten the load.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Marine
Hoss,
I mentioned it twice, so I get both of them...
Mike
True, but this is one of those situations where mentioning it the second time kind of cancelled out the first time...so that means I get at least one of them.

How's that for a stretch??
Old 09-11-2005, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Amazing how the topic changed from Tips On Inheriting A Gun Collection to offers to help him lighten the load.
Hey...anything to help the man out.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm licensed in Massachusetts to carry concealed and I don't even know the latest firearms law(s). Last time I learned a new one and complied was when I heard (they don't offcially inform anyone of any changes in gun laws) that trigger locks were now required by law, so I bought a gun safe instead, which is an acceptable alternative. I prefered the safe because you can keep other important stuff in it, so it was worth it IMO.

Anyhow, I'd just call any gunshop in the state you're in and ask them about the latest laws.

If you're not licensed to keep them (pistols included) and you *want* to keep them, hide them as best as possible (buy a gun safe and stick them in there), get licensed, then do an ownership transfer.

But if you don't want to keep them, or just want the long guns and not the pistols, call a local gun shop and ask them what to do.

Or, you can get the ownership transfer and sell what you don't want on Ebay.

There's a big firearms trade on there.

It all depends on the state laws. Some states are very restrictive and other aren't.

Mass won't even sell Ruger revolvers because of the light trigger pull, even though in NH you can buy them no problem.

There's nothing in the Constitution that say's anything about the amount of trigger force required and yet the Mass AG can force gun retailers to not sell "Ruger" revolvers because they're too easy to pull.

I wish someone would challenge it.

BTW, I wouldn't worry about carrying them over state lines. After all, most hunters in Mass do so in NH and Main, mostly Maine tho.

Wrap them up and put them in the truck, unloaded of course, and leave any ammo at home.

Good luck.

DT.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:37 PM

On second thought, call a reputable gun shop in Mass., I used this one 20 years ago to sell a gun/do a transfer:

Roach's Sporting Goods
1957 Massachusetts Ave - Cambridge, MA
617-876-5816

They'll know all the current laws.

Make sure you tell them all the models (especially the handguns) you have and find out which ones have been blessed by the Mass AG. They may tell you one or more cannot be brought into the state.

I just don't know the latest rules (some aren't laws, just rules the AG has handed down and are enforced by the state, again I wish someone would challenge them).

Whatever questions you have the shop can answer. They can also arrange for transport (from shop to shop) across state lines but won't surrender them to unlicensed people once they get there.

DT,
Old 09-11-2005, 10:08 PM

Massachusetts? Oh NO!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed a lot more people than my gun!

And he is concerned about transporting guns? Kennedyville ought to be concerned about vehicles entering the state that aren't equipped with personnal flotation devices!!!

I know - that was bad - I ought to be ashamed, but I am too old to forget!
Old 09-11-2005, 10:44 PM

In Oklahoma you wouldnt have any trouble as long as they wont loaded or stolen. But if you had your concealed weapon license you wouldnt even have to unload them. The more guns you have the better.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:24 AM

My opinion. Take them home then worry about the rest after the fact. Also the only suggestion on top of locking them up unloaded, is to take the slide off (bolt out if easy to do) the weapon rendering it unfireable (is that a word??) and don't take any ammo with you.

Mike
Old 09-12-2005, 01:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Being from California I would have nooo idea as to what you all are are talking about

Rick
Old 09-12-2005, 09:10 AM

Hey Tillett,

I forgot to respond.

Don't worry about it. I don't like Kennedy and have never voted for him. I wish he'd step aside and let someone else have a chance at being senator. He's a good case for term limits.

A friend of mine has three uncles (all brothers), all retired Boston detectives. Man, they have some stories to tell. They know all the dirt on these guys and believe me they've gotten away with alot more than Ted's infamous car ride with Mary Jo Kopechne.

The bad behavior isn't limited to Ted's generation either. Alot of them have gotten away with things that would have put most other people in jail.

Now, you can say that the rich always get away with whatever they do (OJ Simpson, Michael Jackson, etc.) so what's wrong with the Kennedy's doing the same? Well, those people aren't public servents.

Public servents shouldn't be doing things that require them to pay off others to keep out of trouble. There should be a higher standard for them.

DT.

Originally Posted by N_Tillett
Ted Kennedy's car has killed a lot more people than my gun!

And he is concerned about transporting guns? Kennedyville ought to be concerned about vehicles entering the state that aren't equipped with personnal flotation devices!!!

I know - that was bad - I ought to be ashamed, but I am too old to forget!
Old 09-12-2005, 11:00 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

You're probably not much different there so,
Here, without a CCW permit, you need to obtain a purchase permit (even if inherited), to take psession of any handgun (not longgun). Apermit will be issued for each gun, which gets taken to be signed by the previous owner, then brought back where the guns gets a safety inspection and the permit is now signed off as the registration to be kept with the gun. You would have to check the states you travel through for reciprosity with your state's permits, and you should be set with them locked in the trunk. I'd be real hinkey and check everything when messing around in the NY, NJ area though. Good luck.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:47 PM

Get your guns, take them home.
Not required to be registered in Mass.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:51 PM

Chris would just lock them up in the back of the truck, or trunk if I took the car and take them home - no muss, no fuss. No need to be paranoid about anything.

BTW, I'd be interested in the Browning.

Quick Reply: Need tips on inheriting a gun collection