Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Need some Ideas on how to stay awake for the next 24hrs

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i work nights and get tired sometimes. just go to the poo-house and take a power nap. it may sound gross but its refreshing in the end. in there no one can "see" you sleeping and that way you dont get cought. other than that alot of coffe or cokes
Old 11-08-2007, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm an over the road truck driver and am accustomed to staying awake for prolonged periods of time. My suggestion is to have a steady supply of black coffee (if there isn't a pot handy, bring a thermos bottle). As another poster suggested, have a supply of your favorite tunes. Tunes that you know all of the words to, so that you can sing along. Also, if you're able to, wash your face every so often. Sometimes splashing some soap and water on your face is worth an hour of sleep. And one more thing, if you find yourself knodding out and just can't keep your eyes open any longer, sneak off somewhere and take yourself a 15 minute power nap. If you don't have an alarm that you trust, have a co-worker come and shake you. The Boss should allow you to do this if you need to. Fatique is a killer and is as powerful as any drug. Be careful, be safe.

Bananas!
Old 11-08-2007, 09:44 PM

Walk around .... do pushups .... poke yourself in the butt-ocks with a stick pin ... eat things that require you to crack them open (pistachios, walnuts, sunflower seeds) .... do jumping jacks.

Or ... just go to the crapper and catch a power nap .

PISTOL
Old 11-09-2007, 07:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Kevellis did you make it? Are you still up?????????????
Old 11-09-2007, 07:43 AM

Fresh cope works wonders, I've worked some really busy 36's lately where we only saw the station for like 45 minutes or so the entire time, Fresh cope and copious amounts of caffine, a really good book, (one that keeps you on the edge of your seat) and some upbeat music (i usually listen to country, but a little rob zombie or metallica or somethinh like that works great for staying up) usually does the trick for me.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:02 AM

Stay moving, keep the blood flowing. Caffine only helps for a while.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by roughstock
Stay moving, keep the blood flowing. Caffine only helps for a while.
My thoughts exactly. Keep your body and mind working. Ive done a few 40-50 hour streches this way.

You make it?
Old 11-10-2007, 12:17 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
My thoughts exactly. Keep your body and mind working. Ive done a few 40-50 hour streches this way.

You make it?
he said a buddy from a rig nearby come by to relieve him for a nap...
Old 11-10-2007, 11:08 AM

Uh....Nasonex is NOT ephedrine it is a steroid, and won't keep anyone awake. Read the label.
OTC bronchial inhalers have epinephrine. Just makes you jittery. Take enough to keep you awake, and it might just put you down for good. It irritates the nerves in the heart.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
he said a buddy from a rig nearby come by to relieve him for a nap...
I read that and it didn't click
Old 11-11-2007, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by tbarbee1
Hey Kevellis did you make it? Are you still up?????????????
Yea I definitely made it, I got a couple hrs of a cat nap in. Then they started trippin pipe at the last bit of my shift, that was most entertaining though when we were getting 5000 unit gas kicks and oil sittin on top of the mud pits during the trip and circulation every 90 to 180ft. BUT the investors were here at that time and insisted on me answering all the questions as to where the oil came from, and all i could say was well... from this depth to this depth (a range of about 500ft). They didn't get why i could give them an exact depth. It should be illegal for people of that level to hold such positions without knowing didly squat about drilling. All i could tell them was; Because we were trippin pipe and circulating and conditioning mud every 90-180 ft, I can really only give you a vague estimate. So they kept me up for an extra 4 hrs or so, and by that time I had drank so much coffee i couldn't even sit down. In total I was up for 46hrs with 2.5-3hrs sleep...that was something I don't ever wanna do again.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:17 AM

OHHH...completely forgot to mention the best part of that day....
So, if you remember my last thread of how to freshin up some dry cope, i took the idea's of many and realized that I always needed to have a lil shooter of JD just in case I leave my can in my truck and it gets hot in there (which happens even in cold weather because if my truck is facing towards the sun, the tint on my truck (5% or limo tint) will hold all the heat in that came from the sun beating through my windshield.) and drys out my can a bit. Well my chew was a lil dry so I got the lil shooter from my truck, brought it into my trailer, put a few drops in to my can and forgot that I left the shooter on the counter top right by the fridge. Needless to say, my company man saw the shooter, pocketed it and once everyone else got out of the trailer he closed the door and asked what I was doing with it (not so nicely though.) I told him the truth and his face went from red back to normal then he just laughed and tossed it back to me and said he used to do that all the time too until it got him run off of an Exxon site.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:38 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

You know that a persons position in the company is determined by how much they know...

if they are too stoopid to be in the field, they are corporate.
If they are smart enough to be in the field, they are never allowed out...

ya gotta watch where you leave your shooter bottles...
Old 11-11-2007, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
You know that a persons position in the company is determined by how much they know...

if they are too stoopid to be in the field, they are corporate.
If they are smart enough to be in the field, they are never allowed out...

ya gotta watch where you leave your shooter bottles...

They're are a few of us who have started in the field and worked our way up.

Heres something to think about (The people who know how always work for the people who know why.)