Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Need some advise on a video card for PC

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advise on a video card for PC

Lookin fer a computer geek, or at least someone who knows about graphics controllers for computers. I have owned the game Doom 3 for a few years now, but I need a different graphics controller so my computer can run it well. The game is awesome, but I haven't got to play it the way that it should be played. I don't really need anything better than what I NEED, as I am not willing to spend much on it, but I just need something that works. If memory serves me correctly, an NVIDIA GE Force 5900 was the recommended for the game. At that time, it was very expensive, since it was one of the most powerful. Doom 3 was a very high tech game at its time of release. This might not be the place to ask, but it is the only forum that I am very active in. Oh yeah, I dont need a lecture about how there are better things to do than sit around and play computer games, I'll just be sitting around anyway!

Thanks for any advise!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:59 PM

You need to include your pc in your sig block...

I'm not a gamer, but it helps to know what kind of computer you're running - CPU, speed, RAM (PC and video card), OS, video card slot type, etc.

Depending on what you're running, there might not be any video card that will help some computers - the old "polishing a turd concept".
Old 11-30-2006, 09:07 PM

I think you need at least a geforce 6800 to run it well, or two 6800 or higher to run it at highest settings, just to give you an idea.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:13 PM

I used an ATI Radeon 9600XT with 256MB memory and it played well on high. Any midrange graphics card will probably do well. I would get one with at least 256MB memory though. I like ATI cards myself, but Nvidia is good too.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, I'm a computer technician. I can help you with this. I can pick a card out for you, but not right now. I'll be back.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:37 PM

I'll throw this in... why not get something more than you 'need' now because it won't be long before you'll have to upgrade again.... you'll thank yourself for it later.

I haven't played Doom 3 but my 512 MB GeForce 7950GT ran Half-Life 2: Episode 1 flawlessly on the highest video settings... running a dual core processor and 2GB DDR Ram helps too...
Old 11-30-2006, 10:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i play doom 3 on my puter with the n vidia geforce 6600 and it works just fine.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:46 PM

If you are looking to upgrade I would assume you have a AGP slot and not a PCI-E. I have the ATI X800 GTO card with 256 MB. Good card and a lot of extras. It comes with software for overclocking also (but be careful). It's an AGP X8 card and is compatible with most newer motherboards.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:03 PM

Some thoughts from a Network Administrator & Hardware guy:

Are you just going to game? You need different manufacturers for different things. My company uses Professional Grade Matrox video cards for example for ACAD & Microstation (Civil Engineering).

If you want one for pleasure I would highly suggest ATI as the one to go with. I personally play online games and I have a ATI Radeon X800xl 3D w/ 256mb. Plan on spending about as much if not more on your video card as you will on your motherboard or processor if your building a box. Figure $299-$500 on a good quaility card. And definately go for the PCIe version!

Also, go to CNET or Amazon for pricing and don't forget, DO YOUR RESEARCH! Read some manufacturer and consumer reviews, however read mostly CUSTOMER reviews. They're the ones who aren't trying to 'plug' that model video card. The customers mostly give real world experience and can help identify potential conflicts and problems with similar equipment! At, last but not least - if you online game, and chat with those your gaming with - don't be embarrassed to ask them what kind of cards they have. most are happy to boast what they got!

Hope this helps!

John
Old 12-01-2006, 01:13 AM

Gateway. Pentium 4 Processor 2.6 Gigs. 512 megs of RAM. 80 gig hard drive...If that helps anyone! The primary reason that I do not want to spent too much is because I do not know how long I will have the computer, and I might be entirely uninterested it playin games in a few years. I cannot spend too much money on it, so I have been lookin on Ebay for a used card. It is not the most reliable source, but I must emphasis that I cannot spend much.....at all. "I would assume you have a AGP slot and not a PCI-E", not really sure, as I am not a computer wiz or anything close, but I have been told (by an "unreliable source") that a video card must be plugged into the back of the tower, like a network card. I hope that this helps everyone!

BTW. Thanks for the advise so far!!!
Old 12-01-2006, 01:19 AM

You will have an AGP slot.. That limits you greatly.

A good, for the price, video card will be a 7600GS ($150) or 7800GS ($240).

Everyones opinions on acceptable gameplay will differ. My old 7900GT card was no "acceptable" performance.. x1950xtx however runs it nicely now.

You can use this site to compare cards... id probably say half life 2 or prey is the closest benchmark for what you can expect with doom 3 on those cards.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html
Old 12-01-2006, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by MJDiesel
Gateway. Pentium 4 Processor 2.6 Gigs. 512 megs of RAM. 80 gig hard drive...If that helps anyone!
The first thing you need to do is double your RAM to 1GB. RAM is pretty cheap, which helps because you stated you cannot afford much. You will see a definite improvement in PC operation with that addition. You're probably running XP, and XP is a memory hog.

I still don't see what the issues are with your current video card - "you need a new one so your computer can run it well?" I don't buy Gateways, but will guess that it has a built-in video card on the mo-board? Again, put some more RAM in it first to permit your computer to "run well" and you will may not even have to buy a new video card. That would be the most cost effective move for now.

BTw, I'm curious - how big of a monitor are you using that requires a new video card? Unless its real big and you're running a very video intensive game requiring lots of processing, a 256MB video card would be ok. I run ATI Radeon's/256MB in my machines.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:28 PM

I agree, some more ram (additional 512mb) will help a lot. Since you aren't looking to spend much and don't sound like a hard core gamer. I would recommend a sub $100 ATI Radeon card with 256MB video memory. I know there are much better cards out there, but it sounds like you don't need or want the higher end.

Nick
Old 12-01-2006, 01:32 PM

use this link to tell us what type of slot you have. 2gb of memory is better than 1 if you play games a lot. For doom you want an nvidia based chip because they are better for opengl (what doom runs on) so they are faster. Also, how much do you want to spend? Graphics cards run from $30 up to $650. Let us know.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:17 PM

My suggestion is to hit up Circuit City and see what goes on sale/clearance/rebate. I got an ATI X1600 Pro card for $199 - $50 rebate, 2 weeks later they had a GeForce 7600 GT card for $80 or so, had a $110 rebate!!!

Quick Reply: Need some advise on a video card for PC