Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Need some advice, opinions, etc.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 11:09 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Need some advice, opinions, etc.....

Need to talk this out....I could ramble a bit....

Been thinking a lot lately of selling my 48 Desoto 2dr Sedan. I feel I have too much on my plate with House, family, wagon, and my DD cummins crewcab. The 68 T/C wagon pretty much gets neglected, and only the bare minimum in repairs and upgrades to keep it on the road. Most of my spare time I do have gets split between the desoto, and into the general maintenance, and upgrades of the crewcab....which I love more then any of my vehicles, past or present.

I only have a single car garage, and enough room for one additional car on the driveway. Currently the truck is parked on the road. I had been keeping one of the cars in storage that I rented from a local fellow. But he finally had to ask me to leave, it was not unexpected. So now the wagon gets parked in the driveway, and the desoto is in the garage.

I have discussed, and got the OK from the wife, to buy an Enclosed car trailer to store one of the vehicles in. But I don't know if I want to commit to that expense or not. Also I really don't know if my heart is in the Desoto or not. I like the car, but I don't know if I can see myself keeping it long term. I was passionate about it when I got it, but the long term time frame on getting this car back from the dead I think is wearing on me.

It's not like I need the money from the sale of the Desoto....but it sure could come in handy with building a fresh 440 for the wagon, and a few other things. Or I could buy the car trailer, load up the desoto and all related parts and lock the doors and forget about it for a few years....concentrating on the wagon and other more pressing responsibilities. I just don't know if I will fall back in love with the car after that time or not?

I would appreciate any thoughts, opinions, points of view, or similar decisions you've made.

Thanks for listening.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Kim of a tough one.. If you can swing the deal, keeping the 48 would be nice. Very few of them around. Picking which one gets the care and feeding is hard. We have a 49 F-1 sitting in the barn where it has been since my Son inherited it. The only time it has been touched in 16 years was to move it from one side to the other. Can't help with your decision, but wish you luck. I did have an old 65 Ford, bought for my wife, that we sold when I got my Dad's old Magnum. The saving grace on that one was the guy I sold it to was a guy with special needs kids. He had wanted an old car for years but couldn't afford one. I made a special deal with him. Now his whole family enjoys taking it to parades and car shows.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:33 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Trailer the Desoto. If it's still not something you want to restore, pull the trailer to some car shows, swap meets and attempt to sell it complete, trailer included. There are lots of folks looking for a project like that.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:16 AM

Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
Time for a garage sale. I know from experience how hard it is to let go of things, but you have already turned that first corner. Your loosing interest. Time to get it out of your way for the things you want to do.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:46 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Was discussing things with the wife last night and maybe it's due to the fact that over the years I've brought a few cars back from the dead, and I just don't want to do it again. Been there, done that, and would prefer to have a car I could get in, drive and enjoy. Maybe this also comes along with age too...in my 40's now.

I think I'm leaning more towards selling, and if in a few years I want another vehicle, then I can pick one up that is road worthy, and mostly complete. Then I can enjoy it, while making it my own.

Also I got to thinking about some of the others cars I've had, and sold over the years. I had a lot more love, and history with my 69 Charger, 68 Coronet 500 convertible, 73 340 Roadrunner, and my 70 Sport Fury...but I let them go because it was the right thing to do at the time. Do I miss them...yup, but I don't regret selling them. Will probably be the same with the Desoto.

Thing is there will always be another old car to buy out there. Might not be a 48 Desoto....but I'm sure if/when the bug hits me to buy another vehicle I will be able to find something that tickles my fancy.

Thank you for the the advice so far....
Old 06-13-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
You just wait till your tripping over 60. The power to dream never goes away, the will to make it happen dies a quick death.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:19 AM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
I'm torn for you. I have had a stable of muscle cars over the younger years, all pretty nice, and sold/traded them away when interest waned or finances intruded. Boy, I wish I had a few of them back....69 GTO, 70 SS Chevelle, 69 El Camino, 70 Challenger R/S all were in good shape and mostly stock. To find one in that condition now the prices are crazy!

However, as Cougar said, I'd love to have a complete car to tune and mess around with, but don't really want a "project"...sheet metal, body/paint, etc.....

Decide what you want and what level headache is worth it!

Then pull the trigger and don't look back.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
First off, how old are you?

I'm in a worse position, right now I have the Nova, to run the 8's I need to twin turbo it $$$, a 83 C10 shortbed totally rust free that needs paint and drivetrain, 1978 Riveria that just needs paint, one owner car, 1979 Impala 2 door that is halfways converted to what GM should have made in 79 for a 9C1, the poor 79 GMC 4Bt truck that is rusted in half, the 77 Pontiac Catalina with 33,000 original miles begging for something, anything other than the 301 that is in her, and the 69 Black/Black 350/300Hp 4 speed Chevelle that I absolutely won't sell......

Bottom line, I'm 55 years old, high stress/long hours job, and something has to go ( more than 1 )...........

If I were 15 years younger, I might be able to get most of them done, but realistically I have to trim all but about 3 of them now.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:02 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Geez
I wish I had your problem of only being 55 again, now it seems like birthdays come every 6 months.

Originally Posted by patdaly
First off, how old are you?

I'm in a worse position, right now I have the Nova, to run the 8's I need to twin turbo it $$$, a 83 C10 shortbed totally rust free that needs paint and drivetrain, 1978 Riveria that just needs paint, one owner car, 1979 Impala 2 door that is halfways converted to what GM should have made in 79 for a 9C1, the poor 79 GMC 4Bt truck that is rusted in half, the 77 Pontiac Catalina with 33,000 original miles begging for something, anything other than the 301 that is in her, and the 69 Black/Black 350/300Hp 4 speed Chevelle that I absolutely won't sell......

Bottom line, I'm 55 years old, high stress/long hours job, and something has to go ( more than 1 )...........

If I were 15 years younger, I might be able to get most of them done, but realistically I have to trim all but about 3 of them now.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:20 AM

That's a nice stable you got there patdaly....

Still wishin I would've kept just one!!
Old 06-15-2015, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
That's a nice stable you got there patdaly....

Still wishin I would've kept just one!!
Sell you one.......or six........ I forgot the 1972 K5 Blazer setting there accusing me of neglect.

Too big on dreams, too short on time.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:28 PM

A 72 Blazer, OOoooooo, the last of the classic lines C/K series have got to be the best looking trucks ever made.

Just finished up a driveway for a Vet. In his garage sits a 72 Cheyenne Super, orange and white, loaded. Bought it new and still tows his travel trailer with it..beauty.