Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Need Powdercoating advise

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Powdercoating advise

I think I'm going to powder coat my My polished aluminum Wheels I like the look. I have a place here in ohio but, I gotta figure out what type of black. I think I want a glossy black because they seem to look the best. I need opinions.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:35 PM

Is Patriot the light or dark. If it's light, this will help. It's not mine, but I know him from another forum. He won't mind.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...n%26safe%3Doff
Old 02-19-2008, 05:21 AM
D45

Does powdercoating the wheels hold up over time?....not only to road debris but also when installing tires onto the wheels..........
Old 02-19-2008, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by D45
Does powdercoating the wheels hold up over time?....not only to road debris but also when installing tires onto the wheels..........
You should do a base coat and then a thick clear coat over them also to help prevent chipping and scratches.

Powder coating is not indestructible but is alot stronger then regular paint.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by bluechrome
I think I'm going to powder coat my My polished aluminum Wheels I like the look. I have a place here in ohio but, I gotta figure out what type of black. I think I want a glossy black because they seem to look the best. I need opinions.
It really all depends on what you personally want. i like flat black on a beat up style rock crawler/farm truck or just plain rugged look. But if your truck is really clean and never sees off road then i would do the gloss.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:46 AM

There is epoxy powder coat paint, that would be my recommendation. Also you might want to go through the outgassing process first before the paint is applied. That is where they will heat the wheels in the oven to a higher temp than they would when painting. This heats the wheels and expands the pores and allow trapped gas to escape. If this process is not followed, you may (not always) end up with small pimples in your paint as the gas escapes but cannot get past the melting paint. (Hope that makes sense)
Also remember that what makes powder coating so tough to get off, is that as the pores of the metal expand the melting paint sinks in, and as the part cools the pores contract and grip the paint. Powder coating can cover and smooth over small imperfections. That said, you might want to consider a very fine sand or media blast prior to the painting, this just gives it even more bite. Find a good competent powder coating facility, they should have a sand blaster and can assist you in the choice of color/texture for your wheels. I would also do an overcoat of clear.