Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

need help on street bikes....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jumpinj

Will all due respect for you a seasoned vet. Do you pay your own insurance? Because anybody that shells out hundreds of dollars for insurance will swallow their pride like what was slung all over the place in the above statement and take a one day course to lower their premium.

Now I can only hope you ment you will not learn anything new, but it is still bad advice because the no-nos you speak of are not always common sense.

Remember it only takes one ah crap to get you kill.

Well actually I DO pay my own insurance on both my truck (full coverage) and my bike (liability).

I am sorry but when the "instuctor" starts telling me I should set myself up for a highside while stopping fast in a turn is just about the most INSANE thing he could have said. If you were able to stop then thats great but if you couldnt I would much rather go down by just laying it down and just sliding then by risking going off the road into you have no clue what is. Which would you choose? And it was things like these throughout the whole class that just made me wonder why they are teaching all the "new riders" how to ride.

And I didnt say NOT take it at all. I said if you have ever riden a motorcycle of any type.

And I know that it only takes one time, but that is also why I DO NOT ride in town. So your chances of being cut off by some <edit for language> or pulled out in front of are alot less likely.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:37 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
It's nice that you can pick and choose where to ride,
Others like myself, ride whenever possible to commute to work.
Giving advise to a new rider based on your very selected riding habits could very easily get that new rider in deep trouble quickly.
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.
If the situation presented itself and you found yourself unable to avoid a "Highside" get-off,.....I'll bet that "Useless" info would be moved much higher on your priority list.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:49 AM

Twenty years old or not riding 120 miles is a hike. Then there is the 120 mile trip home to consider. I expect you will be riding there, and taking her for a ride, then home. I think more than your *** is going to be numb. For those kinda miles I am going to suggest you look into something other than a crotch rocket. If you want her to be comfortable a backrest for her seat is a plus. The more cylinders the less vibration is usually the case. A windshield will come in handy for those not so nice out days, and those cool evening trips back home......Listen to me and you will be on a Goldwing tho. Enjoy whatever you get.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:05 AM

my opinion

I have been reading all you post and replies and I agree with the others-If you want cruising comfort,dont by crotch rocket. A sportbike for cruising is I think is like a sports car with an automatic-it shouldnt happen!Just my opinion!I have been out of the riding scene for about 5 years and I am not entirely up to date on what is available now.In the late '90s I worked part time as a mechanic at a bike shop so I have ridden a lot of different bikes.I have always prefered yamaha or suzuki but any of the big four are good all are pretty reliable.I had a 600 yamaha and loved it.I loved riding the twisties.If you get a bike for the curves my first suggestion in upgrades would be suspension,tires ,and brakes.As dirt rider,you already know this.Your bike can have all the power in the world but if it cant handle it,it doesnt make much difference.I briefly gotta into and around the roadracing scene but then I crashed and burned hard on the street(or so they tell me-dont remember 3 or 4 days)After the pins were out of my wrist and I could twist a throttle halfway back I got back on one and wasnt nervous at all.I have probably ridden 20 or 30 since then while working at the bike shop but I have only ridden mine once since the wreck.Not that I dont miss it,I just dont have the time that I did back then.It still needs some work but I currently dont have anywhere to work on it.Sorr .I am rambling again.I also rode dirt and I think you will really dig street riding.They all are dangerous but just remember that they are only as fast as you make them go.So go get one and get out there and stand it up!I hope that I may have helped.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:20 PM

Cool thing about the 1000cc stuff and new riders-

Guys like me can buy low mileage engines from wrecked bikes and build one of these- Yes, it's mine...

[IMG][/IMG]