Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

need help on street bikes....

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im actually very cautious. and the wrist hurting thing will be good, itll build up my stamina. one thing ive always done is i dont go and do stupid things out of the box. i work on getting comfortable on bikes until i know what my own limit is. and i never push that. whats everyones insurance like on their bikes by the way?
Old 11-17-2005, 09:11 PM

For my FZ1 it is $300 a year through progressive. That is full coverage, I couldn't touch and R series with full coverage for less than $1500 a year.

Take a good look at the SV650, one heck of a bike.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:24 PM

then im screwed in the butt. i live in cali. specifially nor cal in an ag town. do the math. o well. i may actually register it at my gf house if its cheaper. i dunno. its alot of unknowns that i have to figure out before i take the plunge. also how hard is it to get the lience? how much? if you dont have a bike yet do they have one you can use?
Old 11-17-2005, 11:11 PM

Hey Surfer, I bought my bike (in my sig) in May, I'm 20 yrs old also. It's bone stock, and it is the more streetable version of the cbr, the 600rr being the 'racetrack' version. The r6's are pretty comparable, any 600 you look at is going to be a great bike, comparable in most categories. Honestly, stay away from the bigger bikes for now, or you will definitely hurt yourself. The newer 600's all make upwards of 100 hp, and at around 370 lbs, they are plenty quick, most run around 10.70 through magazine tests. I have had mine over 130 many times, often still in 4th gear. If you want wheelie power, just drop a tooth on the front sprocket, and it will be better geared to have fun. If you outgrow it, fine, sell it and get a bigger one, but don't buy a bike you are afraid of. There's always the aftermarket to make any 600 faster.

Good luck
Old 11-17-2005, 11:25 PM

that works for me. what is your insurance per month on your bike? also, how is your record?
Old 11-18-2005, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by surfer5567
then im screwed in the butt. i live in cali. specifially nor cal in an ag town. do the math. o well. i may actually register it at my gf house if its cheaper. i dunno. its alot of unknowns that i have to figure out before i take the plunge. also how hard is it to get the lience? how much? if you dont have a bike yet do they have one you can use?
I don't know what it is like in other states but here in GA you can get a limited permit without having a bike. It is a book test and will allow you to ride but not on the expressway, at night or carry passengers. You can then go take a ride test that almost everyone I know failed it the first time. A few of us passed it the first time around. Here in GA it wasn't hard at all.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:26 AM
Chapter President

I own many bikes from big motor custom built to a little 1949 125cc Harley Hummer

To be frank the one I like the best for weekend putting around on is a VW trike....my girlfriend has back problems and can't ride some days....but the VW trike gives her lots of room to get comfordable with good back support

I picked this trike up cheap from the guy that builds them because my girlfriend is very short I thought this would be a ez bike for her to ride also.....she does ride it but prefers for me to drive so she can enjoy the ride

Some weekends we take the VW trike and hook a small trailer on it (the trailer has a dog box) and put the dog in the box and just head out to a new town to explore many times we stay in a motel overnight.....can't do that with a 2 wheel bike

A VW trike cost about $1000.00 to $10000.00 and theres alot of good deals on these trikes....just thought I would give you a differant option
Old 11-18-2005, 07:25 AM

There is a lot of good advice on this post. You need to take a rider safety course first. If you are going to go the route of the R6 or similar, please buy the appropiate safety gear. You will need an excellent helmet, good leather motorcycle gloves, some type of motorcycle boot, and leathers or the nylon riding gear, top and bottom. Also, if your gf is going to ride with you, she needs to have the same type of protection. Do not do her any favors of road rash, it is not fun. Having said all this, do not buy a race replica for your first bike. I am a former owner of an R6 and let me tell you, they will get you in trouble as fast as anything out there. This is coming from personal experience. Go buy a more mundane bike and ride it for a season and then go get what you want. The experience will pay off big time. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a lot of good info in this post. I dont mean to bust your chops here, but if you are like 93% of other 20 year olds I know you will listen to it but not take it. You DEFINANTLY DO NOT need any racer replica bike as your first bike. And you already talk about riding wheelies and such...on public streets

You need to get a good starter bike. I would recommend looking at an SV 650. Great bike to learn on, and much more forgiving of the mistakes you will make. Also 2 up riding on this bike is gonna be more fun and comfortable. One other thing I dont see an allowance for here is gear. I would at the very least invest in a good quality jacket/pants/boots/gloves/helmet.

Go to a track day, take the motorcycle safety class, get some instruction on how to really ride well, and it will be 100 times more enjoyable!!

I dont want you to get the idea that I am down on sportbikes. I have an 03 RC51 and an 03 CBR600RR, and hold a CCS and WERA racing license. I love to ride!! But I had alot of help getting into it from some really knowlegable folks. Just want to see the same thing for you! The last thing we need is another wheelie poppin' squid. Learn how to carry corner speed and you can embarass riders on liter bikes in the twisties...and that is where the real fun lies. Blowing by them on a 600.

Please go HERE . This board has a ton of useful knowledge, no matter what bike you ride...Check it out, it is just like here, great people that love to help people out!
Old 11-18-2005, 11:21 AM

Very good reminders on the gear. GOOD gear will cost as much if not more than a cheap bike. My suit alone cost over a grand. Then you have a good helmet that will be in the $500 range and dont go cheap on boots or gloves they are a must.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by surfer5567
...this is goin to be my first bike so i want it to be easy to manuver. i mean if i want to(of course when im comfortable and in a safe place to do so) pop a wheelie, pull a stopie do stupid stuff like that....
I was going to make a recommendation. After this, I've reconsidered.

Rusty
Old 11-18-2005, 01:03 PM

If you are looking at R6's you need to go with a 2003 or new for EFI. I wouldn't recommend a carbureted bike at this point. Reading what you are doing with it, I would also suggest looking at a VFR800 Honda. It is comfortable for passengers and a great all around bike. It is very sporty but has enough tour feel to it to be comfortable and they handle very well and are very smooth. If you want pure performance, the GSXR1000 probably has the best power to weight ratio out there and the aftermarket is huge for these bikes.

In any event, I would suggest an AMA or other sanctioned rider safety and awareness course. You will learn a lot from one of these courses and it could also help in your decision making process on what bikes to look at. You typically ride the course bikes or a friends to take the rider course.

Good luck in your decision and be careful.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:10 PM

Listen, I understand that you won’t listen to those of us who would tell you to get a more reasonable bike (BTW the SV650 is rad), but do your girlfriend a favor and keep her off that bike for at least a year. Not only do you not have the experience to ride two up safely but the bikes you are talking about are particularly hard to ride with two. She'll be sitting a lot higher than you and will be very uncomfortable ... that means she's going to be shifting around and looking for a better position.

Take the advice of a guy who road-rashed his entire back and right side and broke both legs - take the rider's coarse. Buy a semi reasonable bike (again the SV650) and keep your G/F off of it for a year. You might be comfortable in the seat, but you're going to get surprised and that always leads to trouble.

I'm 27 years old, I have 122,000 miles under my belt and have had two offs. Both of my offs were from situations that were not 'my fault.' Now - they weren't my fault, but I could have been better prepared to handle the situation when it came up. If I had the skills that I have now when I was faced with those crashes I can almost guarantee that I wouldn't have gone off.

If I can help convince you, or give you any advice - please PM me.

Walt_Mink
Old 11-18-2005, 03:34 PM

wow thats a ton of info! i am deffinately lookin at some good riding gear. the last thing i want is to get road rash. ive had it on my dirt bikes and even goin that slow it sucks! im deffinately going to look at the sv650 from what everyone says it seems like it might be the best. and a driver safety course is a must. any more info is awsome and thanks for the info already given!!!!

Quick Reply: need help on street bikes....