Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Need HELP/Advise on home/farm electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shocks

Smokin,

(And please, someone correct me if I'm wrong....) I think it is the current disrupting the hearts internal electrical impulse that "kills", not by going through the brain. I believe that's how pacemakers work; they give a "shock" to the heart muscle to jumpstart the rest of the impulse needed to make the heart pump.

However, as I stated above, I could be wrong. LOL, sure wouldn't be the first time.

Houndog, sorry about the loss of your 4 legged friend. I know in some instances, it's as bad, or worse, than loosing a "human" acquaintance .

Dewey
Old 01-26-2006, 01:40 AM

I've had MANY horses and have 25 head now.That big roan gelding I had 18years and in the past rode everywhere MANY MANY weekends was never for sale and never thought of selling(folkes asked many times in the past)has TORE me up loosing him like this.He hunted me if I whistled to him or called HIS name even in new pastures,which were a lot for a few years after a divorce.Its torn me up.I never would have imagined a HORSE hitting me so hard.Been easier if he had just died on his own or even lightling which can happen etc.But due to human interaction killing him.The deicer by the test the manufacture told me to do checks out ok.The wiring has not checked ok with a mertz?? Plus the heavy rain and box not being properly grounded etc.The water was HOT with current Saturday until I unplugged deicer.Shipping it to manufacture today for them to check.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:45 PM

Doing my own test on the stock tank deicer.Its been floating in water since last Thursday in a building plugged into a GFCI that I monitor and have been checking with a volt ohm meter. .5 of a volt in water so far.Have frozen it,splashed it,turned it upsude down etc.Nothing from IT so far.Pipeline company claims wiring now chjecked ok.It was MISSING(did not have) a ground at the outlet and no GFCI etc.Any thoughts guys why water had CURRENT in it which I felt!
Old 01-30-2006, 02:36 PM
Banned

I sure can't answer your electrical question, but this whole things got me paranoid enough that after 20 years of electric heaters I pulled all mine. Hopefully they are done for this season and come next year I will go to LP fuel heaters. I have had electrical current in my water several times over the years. When I put them in this year and plugged it in the first horse in my main pasture got zapped, when I saw this I tracked the problem to the wire spring wrapped around the outside of the cord. It was touching the hot wire fence and charging the water. Guess I've been lucky.