Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Need advice. This house is gonna rock...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Need advice. This house is gonna rock...

I've got the scars of nine stitches in my finger to prove two things, beavers can bite dang hard, and fingers can be reattached. Next time i'll let the dogs handle things while I get a gun rather than trying beaver to hand combat with a buck knife. I got him though, he just got a mouth full of me to take with him.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:15 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any chance this drilling they're doing is nothing more than taking core samples so they can find out what they're dealing with??
Old 09-29-2003, 07:22 AM

That's possible Hoss, and I hope to find out more today. But the way the backhoe guy suddenly stopped working is what's got me wondering. I examined the piece of equipment yesterday. The drilling machine is a tracked, Japanese named model, and has a bit about about 10 feet long, and about 2 inches in diameter. It's been initally placed in one corner of the proposed foundation, but no holes have been drilled yet.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:05 PM
Banned

Well if blasting is going to go ahead do make sure they use blasting mats. I have worked in subdivisions where blasting is a daily occurrence and no problems were reported to any of the homes in the area. But just in case take pictures of your foundation all around (video may be even better) to show on a certain date all was well. Two months (or whenever) down the road if you have a stress crack you will have evidence. Unfortunately any of the blast techs I have talked to seemed to be...how shall I say this nicely....nuts... Best of luck, and park the CTD way down the road to prevent "hail damage"..
Old 09-29-2003, 09:49 PM

Well, I took a video of the house this afternoon including one existing stress crack in the poured wall of the garage. The wife missed em so didn't talk to anyone over there. The backhoe is gone, and the drilling machine appears dismantled and ready to be removed. There are bore holes on approximatey 8 foot centers across the entire footprint of the house which have a little tar paper collars that are folded over to form a little cap. I don't see any blast mats yet, but I know they're used all over up here; made from tires. No notice in the mailbox yet. We'll wait and see.....
Old 09-30-2003, 05:46 AM
Banned

(in best bugs bunny martian cartoon voice)

"Where's the kaboom???? There should have been an earth shattering kaboom!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2003, 06:45 AM

[quote author=spots link=board=10;threadid=20201;start=15#msg190879 date=1064918762]

"Where's the kaboom???? There should have been an earth shattering kaboom!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

Old 09-30-2003, 08:50 PM

[quote author=spots link=board=10;threadid=20201;start=15#msg190879 date=1064918762]

[/quote]

It's coming...soon. Today I found a faded business card and basting notice that some Nimrod stuck in the window of my old Chevy pickup that I drive once every 2 or 3 weeks. How about the front door of my house? Nah! Too obvious.. : They have an independent survey firm that needs to inspect the exterior and interior of my home prior to the kaboom! I guess thats good insurance for me though. I'll add an epilog after it's over. :-
Old 10-01-2003, 05:49 AM
Banned

You should take some video of the kaboom and put it up here. Just to make it DTR legit mebbe have a couple of shots of the CTD running for cover.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:55 AM

Duct Tape. Around everything. That'll hold everything in place til the blasting is done.....
Old 10-06-2003, 06:18 AM

Re:Need advice. This house is gonna rock...(epilog)

On Thursday a representative of the blasting firm came out and videotaped the entire house inside and out, noting any stress cracks in the floors, walls, and drywall (there were a few). On Friday they trucked in several dumptrucks of sand and covered the the entire blasting area. The sand is used as backfill later around the foundation. My wife was home all day Friday, and heard nothing, so decided to go shopping late in the afternoon. That's when they decided to blow it up. : My neighbor across the road said it was pretty loud, and rumbling as each of the dozen or so charges went off milliseconds of one another. I inspected the house, and saw no new cracks and the old ones are still hairlines that they were before the KABOOM!, so I guess were OK. Digging starts today (swell : ), so I guess we can look forward to the drone of heavy equipment for the next month or so.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:36 AM

I have the perfect cure for future neighbors out where my house is being built, cast iron 2 inch bore cannon with 30 grams of gun powder. Now I just need to get my spud launcher fixed. ;D
Old 10-06-2003, 04:58 PM
Banned

Re:Need advice. This house is gonna rock...(epilog)

[quote author=Commatoze link=board=10;threadid=20201;start=15#msg193291 date=1065439103]
On Thursday a representative of the blasting firm came out and videotaped the entire house inside and out, noting any stress cracks in the floors, walls, and drywall (there were a few). On Friday they trucked in several dumptrucks of sand and covered the the entire blasting area. The sand is used as backfill later around the foundation. My wife was home all day Friday, and heard nothing, so decided to go shopping late in the afternoon. That's when they decided to blow it up. : My neighbor across the road said it was pretty loud, and rumbling as each of the dozen or so charges went off milliseconds of one another. I inspected the house, and saw no new cracks and the old ones are still hairlines that they were before the KABOOM!, so I guess were OK. Digging starts today (swell : ), so I guess we can look forward to the drone of heavy equipment for the next month or so.
[/quote]

Glad the blast went well. I am into the same sort of situation now but I'm the builder. Infill lot in the oldest part of town. Neighbors are not happy with the noise but what can I do?? Mason is cutting natural stone for the exterior so now it is a dust storm. Every time I get outa my truck I look for that lazer dot from a gun on my chest....
Hope you get good neighbors. All the best.