Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Need Advice on building an engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 09:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice on building an engine

Ok. I recently acquired an old 454 Chevy. It's missing all of it's front accesories but that doesn't really matter. I want to build this engine for my chevelle that I'll eventually get. This engine will be built to handle big boost. I plan on twin turboing it. I don't have any experience building an engine like this. I want to go fuel injected so I can drive this car whenever I want. It must be reliable and half way streetable. I can live with 8 to the gallon since the car will be a weekend cruiser. I'm looking for about 600 or so horsepower. If it lopes big time at idle, so be it.

How do I go about building something like this? I'm gonna have the block checked out and honed as soon as the money gets here. I'm not gonna skimp on anything. Even if it takes me all year or more to build, it will be built right. Is there anything else I should do? Summit magazine is probably gonna get a lot of my money here shortly. What size heads do yall recommend? How about o-ringing? Rods? Crank? Oil pump? I know what is good from reading magazines and stuff but I want to here from people with experience. Valve springs? Valves? Any help yall can give me will be greatly appreciated. Like I said, about 600 hp and streetable enough to where I can drive it an hour to the track and back or cruise around town. I know I'm asking a lot but I know it can be done. Money is no object. If yall know of any engine builders in the houston area I should talk to then by all means, please let me know. Thanks a lot yall.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:40 PM

Re: Need Advice on building an engine

Originally posted by BigBlue

Money is no object.

HAHAHHAHAHAH LOFL
Old 12-16-2004, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I'm glad you said MONEYS IS NO OBJECT because 600hp from a 454 and streetability is First off is the block you got a 4bolt main? the crank forged?
Toss those heads away unless there rectangular intake ports
I ran a few BBs in the 550 -680 range and they were not really what I call streatable (but I did ) but I didnt do the turbo thing. A 600hp short block needs a lot of work to hang together so if your block is a 4 bolt you should be able to go .125" over and get a crank with a 1/8 or 1/4 stroke that will get you up to 502-540ci. For this the only stock chev rod that will do is their 7/16 Dimple rod. Compression / cam /valvetrain will all need to be taylored to the boost levels you want to run (any of the big manafacturers will work with you on that) As far as heads chev had some that will work but they will need a fair amount of work and its usually cheaper to get a set of aftermarket ones if you dont have a good set to start with. All my stuff was naturally asperated (good old dominaters) but that kind of HP needs good parts and care no mater how you stuff it in. Ohyah you did me 8 GPM right
Old 12-17-2004, 12:58 AM
Banned

I'm serious on the money is no object. Hence the amount of time I set aside to build the engine.

ratsun, I don't know much about it. I haven't seen it yet. If it's not 4 bolt main, then I'm probably not gonna do much more than heads/cam and a small shot of giggle gas (small being at least a 100). I want to keep the stroke and bore down cause I want it to rev to 6000 rpm. I planned on going with aftermarket aluminum heads. Ported of course. The reason I think 600 is reasonable and streetable is because of the boost. Oh yeah. Did I mention that this is all on 93 octane. I love a challenge.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:13 AM

BigBlue, if you are going with twins 600hp would be at the low level for this combo,you should be able to pull double that easily and be very streetable on pump gas.
Like was said before, make sure you start with a 4 bolt main block, and remember from the crank up, the magic word is "forged".....
Old 12-17-2004, 06:50 AM

Hey Blue, Build that puppy and sent it my way. Or I could just sell you my car

600 HP on a turbo'd 454 should be EASY. I've seen them at 900 on fuel only (472 cu, might have been the good gas though)

You're almost building exactly what I'm looking for. I was planning on a 427-454 (what ever I could find) with twin monica's pushing a T56 Tremec tranny.

Whatever I do, that 350 is gonna get THRASHED! (Think Dune Buggy )

Chris
Old 12-17-2004, 08:14 AM
JKE

rectangle port heads not alluminum. stud everything, you need a 4 bolt main. If it is 2 bolt, get splayed 4 bolt caps and use bolts, have machined and align bored, use torque plates during machining, JE pistons, forged rods and crank. I would not use an aggressive cam. You won't need it. You should not need headers either. Use the turbos off of the buick GN. Use Electromotive total engine control...look here....electromotive-inc.com. Do not oring. get good gaskets and do not boost until engine is at operating temp. No need to rev to 6k. 600 no problem...8 to 8.5 compression. daily driver. good luck on matching the injectors to your needs. Trial and error. - JKE

helped a budy with a twin turbo'd 460 in a fairmont. Ran like crazy. Couldn't keep head gaskets on it. Chevy should be better about the gaskets.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:28 AM
JKE

the car is here....undrprsr.com.....11.45 @ 121. I worked with him for a while. He is now in Michigan. Cool guy and knows his "stuff". - JKE

more of his buddies at... toohighpsi.com....they know their "stuff" too. should be able to get plenty of info from them.

Hope this helps you out.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:54 AM

I am much more familiar with big block Olds but the concepts are the same - you have to keep the bottom end together to handle the torque and more revs are not necessarily a good thing. There is alot of rotational mass to control.

Stud everything, main girdle even with a four-bolt block, forged stroker crank, the best harmonic dampener you can find, massaged square port heads, programmable fuel injection with custom fuel curve, mild compression if you are going to turbo it, cam to match the turbo flow specs - all of it takes money.

The good thing is that you can easily street 600HP in a big block (we have one that we built to be around 500 gross NA and we have run the A/C in traffic - but it is gulping some high-octane fuel to handle the compression). With twins and nitrous 600 should not be hard at all to achieve - keeping all those expensive parts together and rotating properly will be the challenge. Block ventilation happens..........

Ain't bench racing fun?
Old 12-17-2004, 10:09 AM
Banned

Ok, the parts list I've got so far is studs, girdles, forged from the bottom up, massaged rectangular port heads, cam to match. How's that sound so far? I figured on fully forged. If yall are saying 600hp is easy, then maybe I should up the power. I chose 6000 RPM's cause that's the max I want to rev it. What would yall recommend? About 5000-5500? Any forums I should visit to read up on?

signature 600, great minds think alike. I've been planning this out for about 5 years now. I'll be more than happy to take that chevelle off your hands. I'm thinking a viper spec t-56. Gonna be a lot of gear rowing with the kind of power this thing is gonna have. I think I'm gonna need another job.

Thanks for the help yall. Keep it coming.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:06 AM

I had the trany located on E-bay out of Michigan. It was out of a 97 Viper with about 17000 miles on it for like $1300.

It would be sitting in the barn had it not been two weeks after the car's purchase. The BOMB fund was and is dry.

I thought trying to get money to bomb the truck was hard, now I have a car that's beggin' for some goodies, and Dad's thinking about buying me another truck (98.5 24v) so I don't have to drive mine for work!

I'm gonna have to come up with a BOMB "Roulette" Wheel to decide which vehicle to "treat" next

Chris
I know, I've got it soooo rough
Old 12-17-2004, 11:37 AM

Re: Need Advice on building an engine

Originally posted by BigBlue
Money is no object.
I wish I could say that in public when I was 19 !!!!!!

How about a 6-71 blower on that 454, or a 10-71 or up if you punch that block out over 500ci. Also you wouldn't have to beef it up so much to handle "big boost". Maybe 8psi and you could be on the verge of detonation. Don't forget to manage compression/boost ratio. A blower would be much cooler than twins on a gasser imho. Then you could have that nice loping cam too
Old 12-17-2004, 03:24 PM

I know why I wan't chargers instead of a blower:
1. More Easily Streetable --- You don't have the power 'till you "ask" for it
2. Nobody else knows you got the power 'till you show it to 'em
3. Charger's give more torque than a blower on the SAME engine (at least what I've seen --- 302 Ford, 350 Chevy)
4. Ever seen another one?

Chris
Old 12-17-2004, 07:15 PM
Banned

Guys

I don't want to take you from the RAT motor but I want you to check out this site for a tranny www.keislerauto.com

CRIS
Old 12-17-2004, 08:16 PM
Banned

Moose 10, I plan on taking a very long time on this engine. And if I don't have the money to do it the right way, then I'm gonna have to wait until I do. I only want to (hopefully) build this motor once. The reason I want twins is because you don't see a lot of big block twin turboed engines. Although an 8-71 sticking out of the hood would be pretty cool. An auto would be fun, and easy to race, but I like rowing my own gears. It's to much fun dumping the clutch at 3000-4000rpm and smoking the tires. Thanks for the help yall. This is gonna be a lot of fun.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on building an engine