Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Navy pirate catcher

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 11:16 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Navy pirate catcher

Have you guys seen this? The new Navy pirate catcher

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i...55/boat2-1.jpg

http://topseniorspace.com/images/navy2.jpg
Old 10-02-2009, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think they were testing it (or another one just like it, minus the gigantic "bowsprit") out here in California; it uses stealth technology to minimize its radar signature. It supposedly looks as small as a pelican on the scope.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:08 PM

That's one bad dog pelican.

I'd love to hitch a ride on that thing! Tri-hull at 60 knots. Now that's fun!

The pirates would have to have an ocean racing scarab to get away from this thing, but then they'd run out of gas or the helicopter would catch them. Cool.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:25 PM

Believe it or not a carrier is actually one of the fastest ships in the navy.
I personally seen 45knots on the plat (closed circuit tv)when we were testing the ship during sea trials.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by s cesnick
Believe it or not a carrier is actually one of the fastest ships on in the navy.
I personally seen 45knots on the plat (closed circuit tv)when we were testing the ship during sea trials.
We took a bearing against the USS Constellation (conventional diesel carrier) out of San Diego right out of the channel. She firewalled it and we attempted to keep up- we were in a 24' Skipjack with twin 270-hp gassers. The Connie walked away from us like were were dragging anchor. Her bow came up and she was gone! We throttled back and were revelling in her performance when the wake hit us- three monster swells. Nothing but water at all compass point when we dropped between the wakes. Awesome boat!

BTW, the captain said we were doing 38kt when she pulled away- he guessed her speed to be 45kt+.

The nukes are even faster. I don't know how fast, but one will be off the coast of Brazil today and be patrolling the Suez Canal tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by stinkindiesel

The nukes are even faster. I don't know how fast, but one will be off the coast of Brazil today and be patrolling the Suez Canal tomorrow.
Wow ! Not sure they are quite that fast but they will haul the mail when asked to do so.
I was on the Lincoln (CVN-72) and the Russian Carrier (KIEV) decided to try and stay with us in the Indian Ocean when we didn't want it around. Within an hour is was nowhere to be seen !!!
Old 10-02-2009, 05:46 PM

I've heard rumors from an engineer on the USS Ronald Reagan that she'll kick it up to a very classified 63kt... confirm or deny?

Trending Topics

Old 10-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Not trying to be a "Wet Blanket" here guys, but as one who works in places that don't exist, with people that don't exist, performing missions that don't exist, some of this info probably should be "Need To Know" and shouldn't be posted on an open forum............
Old 10-02-2009, 07:59 PM

As a guy who's so in the dark about everything that I get sunburned from fireflies- if I heard it, the pygmies in New Guinea have already discussed it at length with the Abominable Snowman.

Besides, all ya gotta do is compare the date of when the USS Fastashell leaves port and when it arrives on the other side if the world and make an estimate. If it happens out where anyone can see it, it ain't THAT need to know.

And I won't ask Shovelhead to "confirm or deny". (but you can PM me )
Old 10-02-2009, 09:54 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I read a little on that boat at the start. It's designed to operate in shallow water. As shallow as some rivers.

Chris
Old 10-02-2009, 10:01 PM

[QUOTE=stinkindiesel;2593677]As a guy who's so in the dark about everything that I get sunburned from fireflies- if I heard it, the pygmies in New Guinea have already discussed it at length with the Abominable Snowman.

I love it. Now I'm trying to memorize it.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by stinkindiesel
I've heard rumors from an engineer on the USS Ronald Reagan that she'll kick it up to a very classified 63kt... confirm or deny?
It is VERY possible but it would be a very rough ride. When we hit 45kt the boat wasn't even shaking yet. On another occassion there was a fishing vessel fire with injuries that we had to get to quick to provide medical attention and the boat was hauling the mail towards it and it was really shaking hard. had to be well over 50kt. But, they blurred out the speed of the ship on the plat.

Side note to the fire on the fishing vessel. A Russian cruiser was closer than us and deployed a helo to "life flight" the injured to our ship. The russian helo actually landed on board our AMERICAN warship for the first time in history. That was kinda freaky to see the russian red star on the side of the helo on our flight deck.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:22 AM
DTR Mom

Wink

must have been! but nice that it CAN be and then go away.

army here, but love to listen to da sailors! hehe the only romantic military branch left- when men talk about the ships they served on! heheh good for you guys!

and yeah- just a nod to the public searchable site here- google one of your sentences once and be amazed. PMs are still good though!

amazing mechanics and physics of these ships...wow!

Heidi
Old 10-03-2009, 05:29 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Kitty Hawk the last Fuel Fed Boiler (Conventional) to go Bye Bye. She rests Sadly in Bremerton.