Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Navy E-7, Board Eligible Persons

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robert chilton
Heres a question for ya. What do you think about the DON pulling people off shore duty and sending them to the middle east for a year?
Well, this is one of those things that makes me think of Gunny Highway. He hates being in supply or where ever they have him, and gets a transfer back to a line unit.

I am a bit of the same type of guy. I volunteered for the deployment for the Iraq invasion in '03, and I again volunteered for the deployment to return in '04.

I lost Marines from 3/1 off my deck in the first major engagement in Nasiriyah, Iraq in '03. They weren't 'my' Marines, and they had more training than I, but it still hit me pretty hard.

There was an opportunity for an IA for 270 days into Iraq for me as a platoon leader of a Navy detachment, and I seriously considered it. At this point, it's about getting everyone home. I thought I might be able to contribute to that goal, but I was told by my wife that I had done my part, and it was someone elses turn.

What do I think about having shore duty sailors pulled out and sent overseas? Tough question. Many of the sailors have been at sea serving for many years already, and deserve some type of break. But at the same time, I went to Iraq in '04 with Marines who were on their 3rd tour in less than 18 months. If having a Sailor go over and fill a slot for a while gets a Marine home to his family for more than 2-3 weeks, I am all for it.

As hokey or corney as it may seem, it is the Navy-Marine Corps TEAM, and we need to work together and watch each others back. Heck, I'll still go if they ask me, but my wife will be ******!!!
Old 04-30-2006, 03:49 PM

Man you have been busy stinger pup. The reason that I asked is that we have a guy in our shop that went to afganastan and iraq before going on shore duty. He has been here about a year and twice they tried shipping him out for another year in Iraq now that he is on shore duty. Another guy that just left was within 30 days of leaving and heading to a mobile that is currently in Iraq. They tried to steal him to go on shore duty. Just seems like they dont care about the bottom guy anymore. Most of the people I know that are under 10 years have no intetion of staying in so I think retention is really going to suffer.
I was in Kuwait prior to shore duty and saw a ton of marines get a raw deal. They were on the ground for the begining of the war. They had 45 days to get back to the states and regear before returning to Iraq. I really felt for them. We all have our part to do and I acknowledge it and appreciate all the sacrifice from all of our troops but wonder what the impact is going to be like on the future of the navy. It looks like we are going to have alot of people in the 15 year to retirement bracket with a ton of new sailors. No middle ground to speak of.
Sorry to get off topic and good luck to everyone on their boards.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by steven
I got out as a YN2 (dont poke fun), now I have considered a commission as an intel officer. My buddy who just retired as HMC, says I am nuts, its no longer worth it. What do you guys think?

V/R
Steve

Take it from someone who has went from an HM1 and crossed over to "the dark side". DO IT! There are plenty of days I miss being an HM, but I look at the retirement that I will have afterwards (O3E or O4), it is better than a Master Chief with 30 yrs. The money is better, and I have never seen an Officer pushing a broom.....

Plus, I collect a full retirement at the grand old age of 41 years!!!!
Old 04-30-2006, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rick_Orcutt
The money is better, and I have never seen an Officer pushing a broom.....

I have ... two of em ... just last week ... as CMAA I was the one who handed them their brooms .
Where I work, things are top-heavy and there is not much room for rank-exemption. Luckily, we have Chiefs and Officers that for the most part, understand this and how it affects the junior enlisted man's morale (those that don't get it soon find out how grumpy I get if things don't get done because "it's not their job").

With all due respect to those who have crossed over or may be planning to ... if their sole reason for doing it was/is for the money, then they missed the boat entirely. Some people were meant to run programs and some were meant to run people and resources. As long as a sailor knows where they contribute the most ... then that is where they need to be.

PISTOL
Old 05-01-2006, 08:19 AM

Somehow, I think you are full of it

In every command I was at, if a Chief told an officer to push a broom, the Wanna-be-Chief got told where to put the broom. As far as you being "grumpy", I think you have a higher opinion of yourself than everyone else does.

Think of it this way. The Navy is into symbology. Since all Chief's wear an anchor on their collar, it is a symbol from the Navy Officers. All an Anchor is, is a dead weight that holds everything to the bottom....

I am proud of what I do, but let's face it, we are all working for money in the long run. How many of you guys work for no money???? I realize that nobody goes into the military to strike it rich, and the pride in your job is a huge benefit, but the money (and job security) is why people stay.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:28 AM

I am proud of what I do, but let's face it, we are all working for money in the long run. How many of you guys work for no money???? I realize that nobody goes into the military to strike it rich, and the pride in your job is a huge benefit, but the money (and job security) is why people stay.
Hmmm....

I had TWO opportunities to become an officer, USNA appoinment (decided to drop out of HS) and BOOST while it was still in San Diego. The second time I was about halfway through the program and decided I was there for the wrong reason.

When I came back in the service after 9/11, I took a 30% pay cut and a 4.5 year separation from my family. The pride in my job is the largest reason I do this job, comraderie being the second.....money and job security are way down the list. I had a very cool boss at my job that I held before I came back in. He told me he would hold the job for me as if what I did was a reserve call up (since I was in the reserves when I got hired). I called him in September to tell him thanks, but I wouldn't be returning to work there. Also, my wife was leaning hard on me to just get out.

I stopped chasing the almighty dollar years ago. I'd much rather work a job I like (have a smaller home than the Jones, have less money) than work a job I hate, no matter what the pay.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:07 PM

O.K. Buddy, whatever you say......but I still think you are full of it. In the 14.5 years that I was in the Navy (even during the Clinton years), I heard all about people who gave up wonderful lives to be in the Navy (whether it be because they supposedly had political connections or daddy was rich). I loved my job, and would love to do it again, but I thought supporting my family was more important. No I am not chasing a dollar for the sake of my family, but I like making more money. I am still working for Uncle Sam, and I like my job for the most part, but if given the opportunity people should try to go up the ladder. I highly doubt you were given even one chance at a commission, let alone two. I guess you can make your claims, and I can make mine. I hope you realize how many people you are telling this to are laughing behind your back, just like we all did to the many people we heard this from when I was in the Navy.

Actually, I had sent the above paragraph and had to revise this somewhat. I also was offered commissioning PROGRAMS when I was enlisted (on two different occasions) but unfortunately, you actually have to go to school and finish before they give you a commission.

When I went from E-6 to O-1E, my pay raise ended up being $800 per month, now what I am making is more than an E-9. I was proud of my job also, but can't understand why you didn't take more money if it was offered (unless of course, it was never offered..... )

Good Day.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Somehow, I think you are full of it

In every command I was at, if a Chief told an officer to push a broom, the Wanna-be-Chief got told where to put the broom.
hee hee...i see you have been hanging with the type of Chiefs Stingerpups is talking about. i'd break it over some JO's head if he got lippy. but i was "overly aggressive" according to the sissies.

i was a Chief, and i when i told folks what to do, they did it,
if i went to the senior Officers and told them i needed them to do something, be it for crew morale, to break the ice, or whatever; they knew my 20 years and my star meant something. team work was the key.

keep pushing. you can't let a bunch of idiots at your immediate command ruin it for you. like one guy posted, some REAL chief will stand up at the board, and say "this guys WORKS - he don't have time to hold hands with the community/hug trees/run CFC because he WORKS"

FWIW, i got a buddy who will prolly set the boards this year, i sent him a link to this discussion.

I did a write up of a Charge Book Entry that is pretty powerful.
if anyone on here makes CPO, PM me and I will send it to you.

now lemme go kick Rob Chilton in the duff and get him to study some more.
i want to make him go to the gym with me, might have to break a broom over his head. his PFA scores ain't helping his eval!
Old 05-01-2006, 08:31 PM

I highly doubt you were given even one chance at a commission, let alone two. I guess you can make your claims, and I can make mine. I hope you realize how many people you are telling this to are laughing behind your back, just like we all did to the many people we heard this from when I was in the Navy.
Well, I guess I need to figure out a way to get the command line out of that eval from BOOST and paste it on this forum somehow. Nice subtle way of calling me a liar, but you are entitled to your opinion.

I am pretty sure I can print out the eval summary off my ESR that is on Bupers On-line, and I think I can get access to a scanner at the office. If I can get the scan tomorrow, I will get you some ketchup for your words.

Dates of enrollment: 830613 to 831007, eval signed by Executive Officer, Commander M.R. Mitchell, at Service School Command San Diego, BOOST Program, Type of Eval: Regular, FOR: Training.

OK, just checked, and the ESR shows the data that I need for my 'claim'. Do yourself a favor, don't ever impugn my honor, I'll prove you wrong every time. And my word is part of my honor, I am sure you remember what that is as a prior commissioned officer....right?

And for the record, I didn't come from any place that had power or position, so that holds no water. I earned my National Honor Society (oh wait, can't prove that one) and everything else I've ever gotten.

When I went from E-6 to O-1E, my pay raise ended up being $800 per month, now what I am making is more than an E-9. I was proud of my job also, but can't understand why you didn't take more money if it was offered (unless of course, it was never offered..... )
Additionally, it doesnt' take much to be an officer, just a degree with some halfway decent grades. It takes a special kind of person to be a Navy Chief (and unfortunately, I ain't it)
Old 05-01-2006, 09:55 PM

I have to say, that was the most diplomatic response to what was pretty close to a personal attack I've seen since I've had internet access.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by IA_James
I have to say, that was the most diplomatic response to what was pretty close to a personal attack I've seen since I've had internet access.
Not a personal attack, although you can call it whatever you want. I learned early in my career to be honest, and I will gladly eat my words if you went through Officer Training School, and turned down your commission (which I have never seen happen). I will say that every day I strive to be the most honest person I have ever been. But I still believe there is a lot of B.S. and bragging here that never really happened.

By the way, I had to study my butt off when you guys that were studying for chief were drinking beer and buttering up someone in khakis. I am very proud of what I have done. I am not saying it is the only way to go, but it is the way I chose. Don't belittle me for making things better, and don't lie to me about your so called accomplishments.

By the way, I made the board every time I tested. I didn't send in the last two packages for the board (With my COM, 3 NAMS, 3 GCM, MSM, and a list of other awards, as well as Meritorious Mast, LOAs from a 3 Star and 5.0 evals)

I guess you said it right. There are many opinions here and this one is mine. It seems that whenever I voice my opinion, it is considered a personal insult to someone. I guess you guys are going to get over it or die mad....
Old 05-01-2006, 11:20 PM

Not a personal attack, although you can call it whatever you want. I learned early in my career to be honest, and I will gladly eat my words if you went through Officer Training School, and turned down your commission (which I have never seen happen).
Ok, I will give you the benefit of the doubt. But you obviously aren't well versed in the officer programs offered by the Navy. BOOST = Broadened Opportunity for Officer Selection and Training. This is a program that enables certain individuals who may have poor high school academics (or in my case have droppped out) to competitively enter college and go on to graduate.

I never claimed to have gone to OCS or any such thing. I said I was in an Officer program and withdrew.

I will say that every day I strive to be the most honest person I have ever been. But I still believe there is a lot of B.S. and bragging here that never really happened.
Well, again, you are entitled to your opinion, but I can extract things out of my record to substantiate any 'claims' I may make. That is the interesting thing about a record, it's all there in writing.

Don't belittle me for making things better, and don't lie to me about your so called accomplishments.
There you go again, calling me a liar.

I didn't send in the last two packages for the board (With my COM, 3 NAMS, 3 GCM, MSM, and a list of other awards, as well as Meritorious Mast, LOAs from a 3 Star and 5.0 evals)
Wow, I am impressed. All that in one evaluation period?

It seems that whenever I voice my opinion, it is considered a personal insult to someone.
Well, I don't know about you, but I have a tendency to take it very personal when someone calls me a liar with no reason, other than his/her own arrogance, to call me such.

I am not really mad, actually. Just disgusted that any officer, let alone one with an 'E' after his rank, has the audacity to hmmm....what is the word...attack, an enlisted person for anything.

But, all in all, I am done discussing it with you.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:29 PM

Rick, didn't your mommy teach you how to play nice with other boys?

Old 05-01-2006, 11:33 PM

Stingerpup don't worry about the troll on patrol here at DTR. He's just trying to get at ya.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:36 PM

You are right Rick .... you were destined to become an officer as you are definately NOT Chief material. I am just glad that you cleared the ranks so that a deserving PO2 could make First Class. Not a personal attack, cuz I don't know you ... just 20 years experience dealing with JO's just like you.

I had a supply officer (ex-nuke bubblehead) a while back that was a PO1-O1E convert .... I would swear that I was having the same conversation ... he didn't fully grasp it either. His problem as I later found out was due to having a problem with his Chief back when he was a deck seaman. Held his feet to the fire when he was a young screw up and kept him from enjoying his liberty ports. He grew up in the Navy hating that that man which translated into hating the entire CPO community. He carried this into his dealings with them later in life as an officer.
I correlate that to the little kid that gets punked out on the school ground and you see him shaking his little fist saying "I'll show you ... one day I'll become a commissioned officer and then you'll be sorry .... I'll show you !!". Of course ... I am still waiting for that LT to "show me" anything that I haven't seen before.

.... but then again, I'm full of it .

As for Stingerpup, Rob Chilton and any others looking for the Anchor ... never assume that not putting on the Anchor means that you are any less of a person, Sailor or shipmate. The Navy quota system dealing with personnel management and advancement is flawed at best ... has been for a good many years. I have worked side by side with some of the finest sailors on the sea and wondered why they weren't in khakis. Sometimes it just doesn't happen and it boggles the mind.

Cheers,
PISTOL

Quick Reply: Navy E-7, Board Eligible Persons