Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Navy E-7, Board Eligible Persons

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navy E-7, Board Eligible Persons

I know that I am not the site as much as I use to be, but that is what I get for moving back into my house after 4 years......absolutely crazy amounts of repairs and what not to catch up on.

Just a congrats to those of you who are Selection Board Eligible. I am crossing my fingers, since if I don't get picked up this time (9th Board), I am not taking the test again (Will retire before I would get paid for it, and hence a waste of time)
Old 04-26-2006, 06:33 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good Luck Shipmate. I hope you make it.
I did it my share of times and Ret as an MM1 the rate was closed tighter than Tops wallet. So much for 4.0 evals LOL
Ret in 1997.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:04 AM

Good luck shippy. I did the same thing. E-6 for 11 years, board eligable for 9 or 10. Took the TARA II retirement and went out Oct 1996 as an ET1(SW).
Old 04-27-2006, 07:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
That's why I got out when I did. I just made MR2 and I was told I would have to be in grade for 10 years before I could be 1st class, and the bonus shunk from $10K to $3K by the time I could reup. That and a few other things convinced me it's time to move on. Uncle Sam was trying to tell me something..... So I said; "See ya!"

Congrats on your retirement. You have earned it mate.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:41 AM

Yep same here, I'm an ET1(SS) (Navigation type, once a former IC) who's been out of rate since 1995. Got it all: 3 NAM's along w/5 rows of chest candy, SOY, SOQ (multiple), all in-rate quals completed, currently fiber optic installer qual'd, current Class C/hazmat CDL, CAT 3 crane rigger/operator, 30k plus Fork lift operator qual'd, 3M & 2M Coordinator NEC'ed, 9545/Law enforcement/Physec NEC'd, UUV pilot qual'd/NEC'ed and 4.7 evals. Whats stopping me, my dislike for the rate and lack of current in-rate navigation knowledge. Hince the 11 years I have been away from it. I'm on the down stroke now, I wont be hanging myself from the rafters like some of the bu## munchers want to if they don't make E-7! If it does not happen before I retire here in just over 3yrs. It doesn't happen! I've been networking since 1995. Expanded my options alot more than if I were plotting dots to poke holes in the water . Alot has changed since I/we joined. Congrats!!!! See ya in the Fleet Reserve.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:51 AM

So is it worth going back in?

I got out as a YN2 (dont poke fun), now I have considered a commission as an intel officer. My buddy who just retired as HMC, says I am nuts, its no longer worth it. What do you guys think?

V/R
Steve
Old 04-27-2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by steven
I got out as a YN2 (dont poke fun), now I have considered a commission as an intel officer. My buddy who just retired as HMC, says I am nuts, its no longer worth it. What do you guys think?

V/R
Steve
A lot has changed, micro management and TQL is a lot worse than it use to be. Liberty ports are almost null because of the current situation in the world with terrorism. Unless, you're offered a large bonus and choice orders, I'd look else where. Just recently the CNO passed Sailors in the desert, it calls for Navy personnel no matter what your rate or duty station (sea/shore) to be deployed to the "HOT" Zones. I don't have all the details but it the military's way of making up for short falls in recruiting buy using currently enlisted personnel and officers to pound the ground in the desert along with the Grunts and Marines. Cutbacks and personnel shortfall are starting to show its ugly face again as it did in the 90's when "Bill C" had this stupid plan for a 300 ship Navy, which to this day the Navy has yet to recover from. I'm gonna stop here with my .
Old 04-27-2006, 01:28 PM

i was in from 82 to 86 and i did see the writing on the walls that said in no way could i do 20. i was a e5 by the time i was 20 and as a hull tech the rate was pretty open. but i chose to leave and hit the outside. in many ways i am glade i did. but i look back now and say man i could have retired 4 years ago.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:41 PM

V/R
Steve
Wow, tough question.

I am a retread from way back. My DIEMS is 31 July 1981. I got out of the service initially in 1994 (after 13 years) to ensure I wasn't a military divorce statistic. I stayed in the reserves the entire time, especially while I was school.

I got my degree in Electronic Engineering in the fall of 1999 and was looking forward to retiring from the reserves. Then this thing call 9/11 happened.

I returned to the service, trained as an LCAC navigator and made two trips to Iraq. I am currently on shore duty, doing my final tour until my retirement in June of '08. I will retire with 20 years active service, 26 years total service, and the same for pay.

I will say this about coming back in, I wouldn't have done it if 9/11 hadn't happened. The military that I happily remember is long dead. The touchy, feely military has taken over. I can't count the times I've had to discuss my 'orders' to subordinates. The only place I don't see that is with my work with the Marines. They are still the elite fighting force that they have always been, with a few minor discrepencies.

I don't regret my return to active service, not at all. But if I was joining the military today, I'd join the Marines based on the simple fact they are still a fighting unit, not a conference call.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by butchera
Good luck shippy. I did the same thing. E-6 for 11 years, board eligable for 9 or 10. Took the TARA II retirement and went out Oct 1996 as an ET1(SW).
Well, I've technically been an E6 for 14 years. But they keep jerking my date of rank around due to Reserves and what not. This is my 6th active board, and then my 3 reserve boards. Not really holding my breath.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by 01350banshee
Yep same here, I'm an ET1(SS) (Navigation type, once a former IC) who's been out of rate since 1995. Got it all: 3 NAM's along w/5 rows of chest candy, SOY, SOQ (multiple), all in-rate quals completed
Well, you are far and away a better candidate than I will ever be. I just got my FIRST NAM for the work we did in Sumatera after the psunami. I've got the 6 rows of chest candy, but most/all of mine are been there/done that and unit awards.

Heck, I just got my second Good Conduct in '04.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:14 PM

V/R
Steve

I'd seriously consider it if I were you. Keep in mind that it isn't just the Blue Water Navy that you need to be open to. Our Intel weenie (LT) carries a large portion of the load within the SPECWAR realm. In fact, intel drives what goes on in this side of the Navy.

This darn sure isn't the Navy that I grew up in ... not better, not worse ... just different.

Look at the various options within the position being offered. I am done with the Big Navy ... but could stick with this stuff for a while longer. Different ballgame, whole different set of rules .

PISTOL
Old 04-27-2006, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by PistolWhipt
I am done with the Big Navy ... but could stick with this stuff for a while longer. Different ballgame, whole different set of rules .

PISTOL
Same here, been working in special programs/special projects since 1995. The job I do really gives you a feeling of doing something worth while. Whole different world working behind the black curtain.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:53 PM

Seen a lot of changes from the day I started till I retired. Some good, some bad. But overall, I wouldn't have traded my job for any other. The good times outnumbered the bad.

I've seen too many people make Chief that I didn't think should of and too many of my Shipmates with whom I would of gladly served under not make it. I can feel your pain on this and actually didn't care when I made Chief. First time in 9 tries I didn't submit a package, I picked it up.....go figure.

One bit of advice I would write in every charge book I've signed was to take care of your people and they will take care of you. But remember this, sometimes what they really need isn't something that they want. It's up to you to figure out what that is.

So OS1, stand tall and be proud of what you have accomplished. You experienced a lot more than 3/4 of the same country you have protected for the last 18 years and have made a difference.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:04 AM

Good luck Shipmate! Just remember no good chief ever had all 4.0 evals! I got out in late 96 as it became all politics. I do miss the real Navy.

Quick Reply: Navy E-7, Board Eligible Persons