Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

NAV on a PDA

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAV on a PDA

is anyone ou there running a blue tooth NAV setup on a PDA. Im looking into setting something like this up. Im tryind to decide on which PDA and what NAV setup to go with. I want a PDA that will work well as a mobile PC for work and I want a NAV prog that has good maps for mostly the west coast. Tell me what works well and what doesnt.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:31 AM

I use a BT GPS on my Smartphone, and rarely I use it on my PPC (iPaq 4150).
The operating system the devices use is the Windows mobile, with a few differences between the Smartphone version and the PPC version (like no touch screen support on the Smartphone).
I use a Syson Chip SMart Blue Mini for the my GPS. If I were looking today, I would look at a BT-359 from Globalsat. Sirf III, very small etc.

I have used the following on my PPC:
Mapopolis: Excellent maps, routing on the fly, good POI database, interface is a takes a little getting used to. The software for the PPC and Smartphone is free, you buy the maps, which then work on either the Smartphone or PPC. For me this was a big plus, I could use either platform without spending 2X the money. I would recommend them, BUT, they are getting out of the business of supplying the public with their product. They are going to sell it to OEM manufacturers of sytems that go in cars etc.

iGuidance: Excellent maps, routing on the fly, good POI database, more intuitive interface than the Mapopolis. They do not have a Smartphone version, just a PPC version, so I didn't play with it very long, as my main device is my Smartphone. A friend uses it regularly and likes it very much.

Microsoft Streets and Trips: Excellent maps, NO ROUTING ON THE FLY, good POI database, intuitive interface. Works on both Smartphone and PPC. I would not consider it because it does not route on the fly.

Just a word of caution about CoPilot Live from ALK. I purchased version 6 for use on my Smartphone and was very dissappointed. They use (or used, don't know it they have changed) their own map database that was horribly inaccurate in my area (an established area that should be corrrect, everyone else had it right). The interface was awkward. Overall I did not like the program. The price was $200 USD which I thougt was too much for putting up with everything I didn't like about it, so I sent it back for a refund. I would not have purchased without knowing about the refund. That was nice, most s/w manufacturers won't do that.

Garmin has come out with something I believe for PPC's and Smartphones. I use a Garmin handheld and like the accuracy of their maps, the autorouting capability etc. If I was in the market for a system for my PPC or Smartphone, I would look at them too.

Good luck,
~Rob
Old 04-14-2007, 01:37 PM

I have been using this:https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=420

I have it installed on my Dell Axim and its been great! I use it more then anything to route me around DC traffic. With the mobile 10 you get a free subscription to garmin information online. So before I leave a hotspot I check traffic and it will automatically route me around it. It can also be used with my smartphone and then you can download traffic on the fly away from a hotspot. It is incredibly easy to use and the maps are great! I also have become very fond of the local lookup you can use through it. Find local places to eat, gas prices and hotel prices. No month subscription for the gas prices, weather, traffic or hotel prices, just have to be able to get online (so through the phone you will pay for data calls with your subscriber). And since you probably already have a PDA its cheaper then getting a stand alone GPS system.

Also, from the pics you can see online it looks like the GPS antenna is pretty large but its smaller then my smart phone and comes with a belt clip for times when I am on foot in an unfamiliar place. You can also change the routing for what your doing (i.e. car motorcycle, truck, delivery, bicycle, on foot).
Old 04-14-2007, 02:21 PM

One other thing. It says suggested retail price of over 200 but I picked it up for 170 shipped. Just check www.froogle.com out.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:04 PM

is anyone using a pda with built in GPS like the ASUS 636 or 639??

Im goin to be buyin a PDA to use for work. I want to keep the phone and PDA seperate. I seem to be really hard on my phones so I dont want one thats costs a grand.

Things I want out of the PDA built in or added on:

GPS w routing on the fly
Camera - min 1.3 Mp - I have a cam on my Razr so I could do without this.
multimedia - good screen for video and pics
RF module so I can use it to listen to MP3s on my trucks stereo
Bluetooth -must have
Wireless - must have
lots of storage via memory chips