Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Natural gas vs. oil advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DT, according to the MA Oil Heat Council, oil holds an advantage in cost when compared to natural gas. Their site has some price comparisons that you might want to check out. Over the years, I've heated my home with both gas and oil, and have partially heated with coal and wood pellet stoves. I found coal to be an even, steady heat source, but troublesome as far as cleaning ashes out and ease of starting. I'm presently using pellets, and love the convenience they offer. A fire can be started easily and the pellets are clean and nice to use. My stove has battery backup which continues to feed the pellets and keep the blower going in case of service outage. My vote would be to stick with fuel oil, and add a pellet stove.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:00 PM

Yeah Commatoze, the pellet stoves are starting to look good to me again.

I think you're right.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by dieselnewbie
If I bought the pellet stove and put it in front of a chimney/fireplace, with a ~2-3 foot horizontal pipe, then go verticle with it all the way up the chimney, would that prevent any blowback of soot if the power went out?
As long as most of the exhaust is vented vertical, there'd be no power outage/blowback soot problems?
If you already have a fireplace, you could buy a pellet stove insert which would fit right inside your fireplace. Depending on the condition of your chimney, you probably won't need a vent pipe.

My bro-in-law bought a house that had a wood stove. After seeing my stove, and chopping, stacking and bringing in ant infested wood into his home for two years, he sold his wood stove and bought the identical stove I have and hooked it up to the vent pipe his wood stove had. Here's my stove, although I don't have the gold trim: http://www.harmanstoves.com/images/P61-71300.jpg

Harman doesn't make a P61 insert, but here's another one they offer to give you an idea on what one looks like: http://www.harmanstoves.com/images/RSINSRT.JPG

This is the company who's pellets I use: http://www.pelletheat.com Their site gives some good info on stoves and pellets.