Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

My puppy bit my 3 year old!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spunbearing
Again sorry for being so long. I just want you all to know that pitbulls are not the brutal killers that people think that they are.

Jeff
I've always liked pitts. But most people who have them don't train them. One of my good friends has a great one. The only thing about him I don't like is if you don't let him sit on the couch or a chair he will whine untill you let him Who's gonna be scared of that? My rott LOVES little kids, which scares their parents. He does kinda scare them when he pushes kids down and licks their face . Thats funny to see. I don't let him most of the time. He likes all dogs too if they aren't agressive, but if they are i have to get him away from them or he will protect me.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spunbearing
I just want you all to know that pitbulls are not the brutal killers that people think that they are.

Jeff
....isn't that the line I always hear when the news is interviewing some gal in a trailer park with a pit that just killed the neighbor kid?
Old 07-20-2006, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by J BODY
....isn't that the line I always hear when the news is interviewing some gal in a trailer park with a pit that just killed the neighbor kid?
Well I've never seen anybody in a trailer park being interviewed about a dog attack. I must live in a different place than you. I've seen people on the national news in trailer parks talking about rebuilding for the 11th time after a tornado. I love the breed but honestly there should be a licensing process to own a large dog. If you get someone that is so irresponsible that they shouldn't even own a guppy and give them a powerful dog you're gonna have problems. Pitbulls are awesome, loving dogs. About 70% of the people that tend to own them should be shot. Blame the owner not the dog. It's sad that the breeds reputation has been ruined by a bunch of schmucks. I'll shut up now I think I took this thread off track.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Banned

im really glad you arent putting the dog down, a new home is best for him if you cant trust him.

on a side note-the number one breed responsible for dog bites is the cocker spaniel...

i met a guy who told me once he would shoot my pitbull if he saw her outside while i wasn't around because she barked aggressively. well i dont have a fence but my dog is always tied up with a 3/8" steel braided cable and she is only 40lbs. wouldnt hurt a fly. my 7 year old nephew has spent the last 2 years teasing the dog, riding her back, playing with her and she has never even snapped at him or any other child. the guy who threatened to kill my "viscious" pitbull apparently ignored the sign that said "Forget the dog, beware of the owner" because after arguing with me, threatening me on my own property, and then making a move to hit me, i sent him to the hospital to have his jaw wired back into place and his cheek stitched closed.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
the guy who threatened to kill my "viscious" pitbull apparently ignored the sign that said "Forget the dog, beware of the owner" because after arguing with me, threatening me on my own property, and then making a move to hit me, i sent him to the hospital to have his jaw wired back into place and his cheek stitched closed.
I'd like to do that to some retards that live around me
yarddog, glad to hear you found him a home
and spunbearing, that solid color pit that you have is beautiful !!!....love his color !
Old 07-20-2006, 03:27 PM

I had a pit try to kill my dog, Big black dog, without any warning- no snarl, no posturing, no anything. Just a full on attack.

He was a rescue and we think had been trained for the ring.

Anyway, by the time I caved in the back of his skull with my fist he'd punctured the skull of my dog and was on his way to finishing the job. Big Black Dog never even got off his haunches- none of us expected such a total assault. It was a bad situation and I only had a second to act to save my dog before it was too late.

I know we all love our dogs, but beware of the dogs of others. This pit had passed all the aggressiveness tests at the rescue and was "a lover at home".

To say because your dog lets your kids or family wrestle with him etc. is one thing, but that may very well not be the case for anyone outside the inner circle. Some breeds are very aware of who is "in" and who is not. Some of those will react in ways that may surprise us when the line is crossed, whatever that line might be in the dogs mind.

Whenever I hear someone defend a protective breed with the "he's a baby at home" thing it makes me wonder. I don't think it shows a clear understanding of those breeds and how they react to situations that don't include "family" or what they are capable of.
This is not a condemmnation of those breeds, more a balancing voice. Our German shepard is one dog to us, but if you are outside the group he is another dog altogether. What might provoke him? Its hard to say exactly. I just know he has it in him, so we are careful in any situation that brings new people or dogs into his domain. That does not mean we can't do it, just we have to do it in a way that lets him know "friend or foe".

Anyway, I don't agree with a blanket statement by anyone who says a protective breed is above that breeding. It ignores reality. And there is no conspiracy to get a bunch of people to report bad things about protective breeds like pits. Thats just total BS. Most dogs earn thier reputation. Show me one Cocker Spanial attack even remotely like the one that almost killed my dog or, the ones that have seriously hurt or killed people. May not happen too often, but there is a BIG difference between a bite and a sustained attack.

Big Jimmy
Old 07-21-2006, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by big jimmy
I had a pit try to kill my dog, Big black dog, without any warning- no snarl, no posturing, no anything. Just a full on attack.

He was a rescue and we think had been trained for the ring.

Anyway, by the time I caved in the back of his skull with my fist he'd punctured the skull of my dog and was on his way to finishing the job. Big Black Dog never even got off his haunches- none of us expected such a total assault. It was a bad situation and I only had a second to act to save my dog before it was too late.

I know we all love our dogs, but beware of the dogs of others. This pit had passed all the aggressiveness tests at the rescue and was "a lover at home".

To say because your dog lets your kids or family wrestle with him etc. is one thing, but that may very well not be the case for anyone outside the inner circle. Some breeds are very aware of who is "in" and who is not. Some of those will react in ways that may surprise us when the line is crossed, whatever that line might be in the dogs mind.

Whenever I hear someone defend a protective breed with the "he's a baby at home" thing it makes me wonder. I don't think it shows a clear understanding of those breeds and how they react to situations that don't include "family" or what they are capable of.
This is not a condemmnation of those breeds, more a balancing voice. Our German shepard is one dog to us, but if you are outside the group he is another dog altogether. What might provoke him? Its hard to say exactly. I just know he has it in him, so we are careful in any situation that brings new people or dogs into his domain. That does not mean we can't do it, just we have to do it in a way that lets him know "friend or foe".

Anyway, I don't agree with a blanket statement by anyone who says a protective breed is above that breeding. It ignores reality. And there is no conspiracy to get a bunch of people to report bad things about protective breeds like pits. Thats just total BS. Most dogs earn thier reputation. Show me one Cocker Spanial attack even remotely like the one that almost killed my dog or, the ones that have seriously hurt or killed people. May not happen too often, but there is a BIG difference between a bite and a sustained attack.

Big Jimmy
This is the main reason I socialized my Rott when he was very small to today. He loves everybody and all dogs, so long as they weigh over 50lbs. To him if they are smaller they aren't worth his attention. It sucks for him because he's so big most other dogs won't play with him . But my roommate's french mastiff and him are the best of friends. Those are some fence patrolling dogs. I'd trust them around anybody. I've been areound plenty of rotts that like their owner and NOBODY else. Same for any mastiff breed, or plenty of other dogs.

I'd never take a rescue pitt or rott or any other dog that could have been used to fight. Once it's in them it doesn't go away.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9

on a side note-the number one breed responsible for dog bites is the cocker spaniel...
Where'd you get this info? I've been doing a lot of research on this lately and have never seen cockers mentioned.

There's good info on this page:

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html

bigjimmy, You must have a steel fist!
Old 07-21-2006, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by yarddog
Where'd you get this info? I've been doing a lot of research on this lately and have never seen cockers mentioned.

There's good info on this page:

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html

bigjimmy, You must have a steel fist!
No kidding about the steel fist. Hows your kid doing BTW?

Those are some crazy stats. Seems like baseball is more dangerous than dogs though. I've always heard that german sheppherds attacked the most. I wonder if people count police dogs doing their job. They say that it is children being bitten. Well, it sounds to me like pople need to watch their kids better. But I guess it is easier to blame the dog instead of themselves. To me this is along the lines of video games make kids violent. They never say the lack of parental care and discipline are the reasons. People never want to admit resposiblity (yarddog did even though there was nothing he could have done). My mother tried not to let me get my rott, she will come visit me just to see him. Her and my sister actually drove 2 hours to come see HIM on his birthday. Attitudes can change. Every time I talk to her of my sister they ask how my dog is and I need to give him a hug for them. Interesting from a person that said "I don't want a big mean dog" now she says " He's just a big teddybear".

How come there isn't a cat attack site? I've been attacked by more cats than I can count. How come we don't quarentine them and put them down when they bite? Sorry I think all animals were created equally.

This is why I'm a dog person.

"In the feline the aggressive mode may come upon the cat for unknown reasons. The cat will seem to be in a play mode, then the playing turns to more serious stalking, with ears held back and back arched, and often they will growl softly. You can see the fear/anger in their eyes. Or the behavior starts out while the cat is being gently stroked by the owner and the cat begins to become annoyed, then more defensive, then outright aggressive to the innocent owner."

from here pet info