Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

My puppy bit my 3 year old!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My puppy bit my 3 year old!

I'm so bummed

We have an American Bulldog mix and he's been a really good dog up to now. My 3 year old son decided to lay down next to him while he was chewing on his bone and bam! he got nipped in the face. My boy wasn't going for the bone, just in the wrong place at the wrong time. He got a deep puncture in his lip that needed 4 stitches. Luckily it's in the corner of his mouth and the scar can't be seen. I wanted to shoot the dog right away but my wife wouldn't let me. Now that I've calmed down I'm sad for both my son and the dog. He's got to be quarantined for 10 days before we can do anything with him (state law). So now I've got to be around the dog for another 10 days and there's no question he has to go and I want him gone now. I don't think he needs to be put down, he just needs to be with a family that doesn't have little ones. It's a bad situation
Old 07-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Banned

Yeah, I would've gone with your first reaction. He may be man's best friend, but when he bites the hand that feeds him that goes right out the window.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Banned

Ya he has to go wherever that is, Also you are lucky your son's ok and you are lucky it wasen't the neighbor kid.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:53 PM

yarddog, sorry to hear of the incident. AB's usually have a extremely loyal temperment, and are not prone to bite. I hope you are able to find him a good home, also hope you decide to get another AB at some point and time. My wife and I have owned 2. We have found them to be very loyal and loving. I hope your son is ok, and that he will be able to experience and enjoy the friendship that only dogs can give. Dog bites (no matter what the breed) are very tough on children, esp. a bite from a (trusted) family pet.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sorry to hear this as the dog was just doing what comes natural to him in his world. We bring them in our homes and expect them to act like us instead of what they are. It is natural for a dog to protect it's food, unfortunately the child got hurt because he was too young to know any better.

I watch my dog real close around the grandbabies even though he has NEVER given any sign of even thinking about nipping at one of them. Best of luck in your situation and I am VERY glad to hear the baby is OK
Old 07-17-2006, 05:11 PM

I feel partially responsible because I didn't spend enough time with the dog, but at the same time he had enough aggresiveness in him to bite in the first place and I'm not sure I could have changed that. I'm not blaming the breed. Keep in mind he's not pure, only half, and very well could have got this tendancy from the other parent. In any other circumstance he would have been the best family pet anyone could ask for. He's very smart, easy to train (using dog whisperer techniques) and he his loyal. He just shouldn't be around little ones. And thank GOD it wasn't a neighbor kid, that's a full on nightmare.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:13 PM

Larry, you're absolutely right and I feel horrible about this whole thing. Either way he did what he did and he has to go. Everyone, even Caden doesn't want him to go but it would 100% irresponsible to let him stay.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:52 PM

Yarddog, first I am sory for what happened to your son, and i hope his recovery is speedy and complete. For the record I have had dogs all my life and have had little ones around them. Remember before you kill the dog that to them children are just other creatures on the same level as they are, so another "dog" laid down next to him and he reacted. Not good and you reation is understandlable perhaps giving him up for adoption is the best.

Good luck
Old 07-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Mrs. missin on a mission & keeper of the can

Yarddog, I am sorry to hear about your son!!!! I hope he's doing ok!
Old 07-17-2006, 10:20 PM

Yarddog, sorry to hear about the little guys misfortune and where did you bury the dog.

Jim
Old 07-17-2006, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by yarddog
I'm so bummed

I've got to be around the dog for another 10 days and there's no question he has to go and I want him gone now. I don't think he needs to be put down, he just needs to be with a family that doesn't have little ones. It's a bad situation

The dog sees a three year old as lower than him in the pack (family). We worked hard to never leave any of our dogs alone with the kids until they hit about 5 years old. Then with some breeds that should be older.

Anyway, you are doing the right thing to have him a new home.
Lots of dogs get put down for just being dogs.
It may seem harsh, but some dogs just don't like kids near bones, toys or food. And as an aside, if the dog wanted to HURT your child, it would have been a lot worse. That bite was a warning. But then as a parent myself I know any dog teeth to child contact is too much.

Big Jimmy
Old 07-17-2006, 11:02 PM

I hate to say this but really isn't the dogs fault. It's unfortunate that it happened but in over 90% of dog bites it's the owners fault for not teaching the dog boundaries and limitations and teaching the dog what is acceptable and not acceptable behavior. I'm not blaming you and I understand your concern. I hope that you will consider giving the dog another chance. If I lived closer I'd come get the little guy. I've always liked bullies. Good luck in whatever you decide and I'm glad that your son is ok. I will add one thing as advice. If you decide to give the dog another chance get a crate and feed him and give him bones inside of the crate until your son is older.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:23 PM

It's too late for this dog. Maybe others can learn from this incident. Sorry about the child and the dog.

We keep the dogs very close to our young child. She's seen as a source of food. They always get a cut of her food. We give her the milkbones to pass to them. Lately she's starting mimicking(sp?) our commands to the dogs. The dogs also have quiet time away from her. We also over praise the dogs when she's tugging on their coat. As puppies I think it's important to remove the food bowl while thier eating. I immediately give it back. This removes the importance of "my food". Works the same with bones. Dogs must know who the Alfa dog, Bravo dog(baby) and their place below that. Hopefully this can help the next person.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:27 AM

This is really sad for everyone. The dog is an animal and is acting in his domain, he doesen't have moral values, doesn't know our values, yet must abide by them without even being taught. What if you were given a home with ailien space being who had totally different values.??? Suppose you brushed against them as a measure of your affection and it was a sign of direct assult to their system of values. You didn't know, they didn't tell you, they couldn't as you cannot communicate with them, and now your are being executed for love.

How about the perps in the thread above? "has the world gone mad??" Should we not simply execute them?? Most would feel so but our values require a trial and all that goes with it. Good Dog breeders for the most part cull the outright aggressive dog, shouldn't we cull the outright senseless humans???
Old 07-18-2006, 12:51 AM
Chapter President

yarddog, I know EXACTLY how you feel!!!!! It's been 644 days since my daughter was attacked by our family pet. It happened in the blink of an eye and my life has been changed forever. It tell you this not to make you feel bad but to let you know it could have been worse and that things happen.

My daughter was with plastic surgeons for 2 plus hours to administer over 70 sutures. Count you lucky stars! I tear up sending you this message and wish you all the best.
tom

Quick Reply: My puppy bit my 3 year old!