Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

My new pea shooter

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 06:39 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
My new pea shooter

Here's the Ruger Mini-14 I traded the Colt Python for.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice! My Dad has one; very fun to shoot. We blew up my old computer with it.

On a side note: If you've never shot at an old computer, its pretty fun. Something inside them will cause a spark and with some help of gasoline causes a nice little fire ball.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The Mini-14 is a nice rifle, but I think the other guy got the better deal.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Coolhand37
very fun to shoot. We blew up my old computer with it.
Ive got a couple of computers I can send ya...
Old 09-22-2007, 08:26 PM

As far as value, the colt was worth more money, but who got the better deal is all a matter of opinion really. The Mini14 is a great gun, I've got one myself, the ranch edition, stainless. I'll try and post a pic up tomorrow, Im at the firehouse tonight!
Old 09-22-2007, 10:27 PM

yup, i like mine. would i trade a it for a python? probably not. i've grown attatched to it.
Attached Thumbnails My new pea shooter-s5000984.jpg  
Old 09-22-2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by txfiremedic
As far as value, the colt was worth more money, but who got the better deal is all a matter of opinion really. The Mini14 is a great gun, I've got one myself, the ranch edition, stainless. I'll try and post a pic up tomorrow, Im at the firehouse tonight!
Well, I got a few opinions on what it was worth. They ranged from $400 if it was in good shape to $700 on up if it were new. It had been well used and carried by somebody. It had several places where the bluing was worn off on one side. I considered keeping it and getting it re-blued but I doubt if it would have increased it's value.

I don't like wheel guns so it's utility to me wasn't as great as it's cash value. The Mini-14 is something I had wanted for a long time and it was new in the box so we swapped. For somebody who wanted a Python he got what he wanted and I got what I wanted.

I go out tomorrow to dial in the scope. I'll let you know how it shoots.

Edwin
Old 09-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I don't like wheel guns so it's utility to me wasn't as great as it's cash value. The Mini-14 is something I had wanted for a long time and it was new in the box so we swapped. For somebody who wanted a Python he got what he wanted and I got what I wanted.
People sometimes forget the human/emotion part of the equasion. I got a smoking deal on a Rem 742 .30-06, but I don't like semi auto deer rifles, after a few months I sold it to my F-I-L who loves it, and I got twice what I had into it, some people have told me it was a stupid move to get rid of it, but I didn't want it...

I like the Mini-14, and would have given a Python for it I bet...
Old 09-23-2007, 01:43 PM

Heres a pick of my Mini-14, its a great gun and I can drive tacks with it!!

Old 09-23-2007, 03:49 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
I know the same basic gun is available as a Mini-14 .223 Remington, and a Mini-.30 .308 WCF.

What other cartridges did they make it in ??

It seems like I once saw a version in 7.62 x 39, same cartridge as the AK-47s and SKSs.

I would like to get the son a RUGER MINI, in some version; but, it is about to bankrupt us buying plain old .22RF shells.

I gravelled the driveway with his empty casings.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:51 PM

I shot my first deer with a Ruger Mini 14, very good gun, and I still have it
Old 09-23-2007, 10:11 PM

Red face Mini's are great

Love mine, I have both the Mini 14 in stainless with 3-9 power Nikon & can put shots through the same hole at 100 yards on a rest. I also have the Mini-30 in 7.62 X 39. It is a great hog gun & ammo is dirt cheap. The russian rounds are built in FMJ hollow point. It is a good idea to clean bore soon after shooting though as they are often corrosive. Just as a note, I also have a Python in 4" and would not part with it. It is the smoothest action I have found in a revolver. Yes I am a gun nut, sorry
Attached Thumbnails My new pea shooter-valuables-009.jpg   My new pea shooter-valuables-014.jpg   My new pea shooter-valuables-034.jpg  
Old 09-23-2007, 10:19 PM

I have a Mini 14 that gets used as a door prop.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by david_4x4
I have a Mini 14 that gets used as a door prop.
I got a concrete block I'll trade you for it.

According to the manual, the Mini-14 only comes in .223 rem and 7.62 x 39. I don't know where the other variants come from unless they're custom such as somebody re-chambering the 7.62 x 39 for 7.62 Nato. I don't know if the barrel or the action would handle the higher power but it would be fun to see. I suppose if you put a heavier recoil spring it might work.

Anybody know how this is done or if Ruger actually makes it from scratch?

Unfortunately I had other work to do so I didn't get out to the range today. It's still sitting in the chair where I shot the pics.

I had a PS go out of a PC today just as I was getting down to some coding so had to drop everything and fix that and then one thing leads to another...

Stay tuned.

Edwin
Old 09-23-2007, 10:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by txfiremedic
Obviously each person thought THEY were getting the better deal, don't you think?

If the other guy thought the Ruger was worth more, he would have asked for money in addition to the Colt, right? Vice versa, even.

If you think about it, every time we buy or sell something, we make a judgement of value. When I buy milk, I'm telling the grocer that I think my $5 is worth less than the gallon of milk he's selling, so I'm acting out the belief that I'm coming out better on that deal. Conversely, the Grocer is at the same time telling ME that my $5 is worth more than his gallon of milk, so he's more than willing to sell.

This applies all the time to everything we buy. It's all just people participating in what they believe are mutually beneficial transactions.

Justin

Quick Reply: My new pea shooter