Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

My dog was shot today

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 04:18 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for the thought's guys. He's doing better today. I played with him a little when I brought him home from the vet. He did well and his eye looks much better. We go to the vet school tomorrow for MRI and some other stuff, but so far so good.

Here is what my wife found today

Old 03-08-2004, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks Jack.

Not only did they shoot once, but what looks like the whole gun worth of BB's.

Aren't SAR dogs classified up there with police K9's?
Isn't shooting a police K9 the same as shooting a police officer?

I hope he makes it through ok.
Also hope the heavy hand of the law comes down on those kids.

phox
Old 03-08-2004, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jack,

I'm so sorry to hear about Jonah. You're a better man than I am because of how you are handling this. The boy and his family should get their just due, but you seem to be focusing most of your efforts on your dog, which is great. I had to put my dog down last November and it was the hardest thing I have ever done. My prayers are with you and Jonah for his full and speedy recovery.

Andy
Old 03-08-2004, 05:18 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Sickening. I can't imagine the confusion and panic poor Jonah felt while that litle monster shot all those BB's at him. My dog is a stray who was abused, she's still not emotionally "right" after 4 years of consistent loving treatment. I've seen first hand how hard it is to undo the damage done to a dog by abuse. I pray your dog makes a full recovery, both emotionally and physically.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:38 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Angry

My gal has worked with kids like this in a detention home for 12 years. Megs said that this behaviour is often taught and like others have said...the kid knows better. The police should come down hard on the parents and get it from the kid whats causing this. Its not an excuse but theres something underlying.

Dang Jack its a good thing a lot of us are not too close to that area.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:51 PM
Muted User

Jack,

What Vet school did you take him to? I've had to bring several animals to Cornell for various surgeries. For specialized treatments the schools are tremendous. My neice is in Cornell Vet College right now. I'm glad to hear your dog is doing better. I hope soon the kid is NOT.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:30 PM
DTR Founder

I'm taking him to NC State Vet School tomorrow. They're going to do a cat scan on him or mri. I don't know which yet, but they are supposed to be very good there. I hope the kid will get busted too. I'm working on it. The Sheriff from here called me today, and seemed real sympathetic to what was happening, so we'll see.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It must be a MRI.

I don't think you can ethically do a "CAT" scan on a "DOG"

Seriously though, hope it doesn't show anything out of place.

phox
Old 03-08-2004, 06:44 PM

Jack I hope everything works out well for you and your dog. I had a lab we had to put to sleep due to cancer in January. That was bad enough I can't imagine the anger knowing someone else hurt your dog.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:58 PM

How terrible!!!! We have two dogs, a blonde Lab we raised from a pup, and an English Setter mix that had been abused by "grown-ups". We love both dearly. May God bless you and Jonah through this. I can tell you this will make your bond even stronger than it was.
Perhaps the boys will learn the right thing from this. Maybe he needs a mentor? I'm not defending either of them, it's not their fault no one taught them any better and it's not about the money you spend to restore Jonah to good health because afterall, Jonah's a member of your family. These kids need to know that animals are people too. Perhaps some community service is in order? Like at the animal shelter?
Does this child live in a mutli-family housing complex and never had a dog? Does he have a dad? Does his dad ever take him hunting or teach him to target shoot at a proper target? I wonder if he ever takes him on a walk in the woods or along a river bank or rides a bike with him? There's plenty of room here close to the Blue Ridge Parkway and the New River. Bring the boys and Jonah we'll take a walk with the dogs. Seriously. PM me.
Nat
Old 03-08-2004, 07:08 PM

I bet they will do an MRI. If I understand it correctly from listening to people throughout the years an MRI is better with soft tissue rather than bone and a cat scan is better viewing bones. They are similiar in what they do but different in how they do it and give different results. The reason I think they will do an MRI is because they are concerned about the eye and I think an MRI will give them better results. I may be way off but I tried! Hope this can help clear things up Jack. Again, I'm deeply sorry for you and Jonah.

Maybe Jack can ask the doctor why they chose the one as opposed to the other. Just curious!
Old 03-08-2004, 08:44 PM
DTR Founder

Well, here's an update. I took him out to play tonight and he did well. About knocked me on my butt, so he's strong as ever. Here is a pic showing his eye. you can see that his left pupil is not the same as the right. It's much better tonight. Last night you couldn't even see it.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:48 PM
DPG

Good news, Jack! I'll keep you and Jonah on my prayer list. For good results on the MRI tomorrow.

DeWain
Old 03-08-2004, 09:00 PM

Ditto what the rest of the members said, Jack. Please keep us posted on Jonah's progress.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:17 PM

I can only imaging how terrible this must be for you.

I hope he will continue to recover quickly.

Quick Reply: My dog was shot today