Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

My dog was shot today

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jack,

I am very sorry to hear of this. I wish nothing but the best for you and your Dog.
That kid....well, I hope the old saying what goes around comes around, comes around real soon.

Craig
Old 03-07-2004, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jack:

My wife breeds and trains Sch GSD's and works with SAR GSD's. I know how much work goes into that, and the kind of bond that develops between the owner / handler and the dog.

We pray all is well. Not being sure of how everything took place with the shooting, I am not sure what advice to offer about the drives. Lots of playing with the favorite toy and TLC are surely in order.

Sue the socks off of them. Of course I would be more than tempted to beat the socks off of them....my wife is sitting here and thinks a horse whipping is more in order!

At 10 or 11 children should know right from wrong.

Please keep us posted, and good luck Jack.

Matt
Old 03-07-2004, 11:07 PM

It's a sad reflection not only on the kid but his parents also. I hope they get what they deserve.
Thats a gorgeous dog Jack... hope he recovers and everything works out in the end.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:29 PM
Banned

That kid's lucky he didn't shoot my dog. I probably would have shot him. I hate it when parents let their kids pull this kind of crap. You can pretty much gurantee that all he got was a slap on his wrist and that was it. I'm glad your filing charges. That little SOB needs to learn that he can't go around shooting anything he wants to.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:40 PM

Sorry to hear Jack. I hope all goes well and your dog recovers 100%. I know what you mean, I would be devestated if someone were to shoot my dog and I don't have a bond like you do with yours. That little kid needs a lesson in respect. It's sad though, it's his fault but then its not because he wasn't raised properly. Some people.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:42 PM

Hey Jack,
Man that sucks, i had my dog shot just for bein loose, this guy shot it as it walked past his house, Down the street in town!! Killed him for walking, thats BS. i hope that kid gets whats coming for him, and if the parents arent gunna take responsibility, i guess he gets the cops on him. I hope your dog recovers fully and has no injuries, inside or out!!
Old 03-08-2004, 12:36 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
First off Jack I am very sorry to learn of this happening to Jonah.

The police will know and understand your efforts with the dog if they did not previous to this...they are fully on your side on this for sure.

One thing my brother mentioned...If you saw an injury to your dogs tongue, have his throat checked and get Xrays ASAP...he may have been mad enough to snap at the shots and ingested a BB or two. Get a good look in the ears too. The vet needs to document exactly what the injuries appear to be.

Good luck.

Momma of that kid needs to have a few BB rounds on her behind so she knows what happened.

Theres plenty of ways to get back at them but that never helps with the trauma instilled...thats a lot more work for all involved...All the best Jack.

Scotty
Old 03-08-2004, 12:42 AM

My wife ( a SAR member) and myself both are so sorry. We know what you are going through. We wish you the best of luck. Jim & Sherry Duncan. www.lyonsar.com
Old 03-08-2004, 12:55 AM

That mother reminds me of what she should be like...like that kid's mother from A Christmas Story when Ralphie's mom tells her Ralphie learned a swear word from her boy...remember hearing her beating the crap outta her boy over the phone? What ever happened to those days? If that were my boy I'd make sure he couldn't sit down...and then the next day I'd make sure he couldn't sit down again just in case he forgot about it.

Parents need to wake up!

I'm sure the police are working on this one as much as they can because they treat working dogs like one of their comrades.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:00 AM

Jack, I hope Jonah makes full recovery, both physically and mentally. I raise and train GSD so I can relate.

The kid sounds like so many these days; he suffers from malnutrition. I think he (and his parents) need more lead in their diets...
Old 03-08-2004, 06:13 AM
JKE

not cool!
Old 03-08-2004, 06:21 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Sorry to hear about Jonah.
I hope the local PD will handle this properly.
Up here in "civilized society" shooting a BB gun falls under the same laws as shooting a 30.06.
I hope you both have a full recovery with a minimal hiccup in his training schedule.

Ed
Old 03-08-2004, 06:23 AM

Makes me sick to my stomach to see cruelty inflicted on innocent animals or people. Did anybody see the little ***** do this? Without actual proof, it's going to be hard to do anything to the kid legally. Depending on how screwed up the kid is, you've got to be concerned about retaliation as well.

Have you shown the dog a gun since the incident to see his reaction? Hopefully he won't flip. You might be looking at a fairly lengthy desensitizing period until he's comfortable in the presence of a firearm. You already know this, but keep it positive, fun for the dog and lots of praise. Good luck with everything.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:36 AM

Hang in there Jack. My thoughts are with you and Jonah for a speedy recovery.

Chris
Old 03-08-2004, 08:24 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for the support guys. It means a lot. He's at the vet right now. They wanted to keep him for the day because they're worried about his eye. He was pretty lethargic this morning when I woke him up. He ate normally though, so I guess that's a good sign. Has no energy. Just unheard of for this dog. He's usually all over you in the morning wanting to go out and work.

Quick Reply: My dog was shot today