Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

My Dad Got a Duramax

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Dad Got a Duramax

I got this e-mail from my dad this morning:

Shane

Got my new truck last night, had some pics to send, but for some reason they are not downloading.

2006 2500 HD Silverado LT
Extended Cab
4WD
Duramax 6600 Diesel
360 HP & 650 lb - Ft Torque
Allison 6 spd Automatic
White w/ the same interior my other had

Need to check it out.

dad
I tried my best to get him to get a Megacab instead, but he's always been a Chevy guy (in fact I don't think he's ever owned anything that WASN'T a Chevy).

He traded up from a Z71. I'm glad he went diesel, but I sure wish I could have convinced him to get the Megacab instead.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a relative that is looking at the '06 GMC 2500 CC with the Duramax. Planning to buy in the next two weeks. Told him to checkout the new Mega Cabs before he decides to buy. He is one of those die hard GM fans but does like my Dodge.

MikeyB
Old 01-06-2006, 11:33 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
360 HP & 650 lb - Ft Torque
Sounds nice. Like you say, at least he has an oil burner now.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
he coulda done a lot worse!
Old 01-06-2006, 11:48 AM

Don't feel bad, I thought I had my dad talked into a Dodge. He currently owns a 04 Chevy 2500 HD crew with the 6.0 piston slap special. Last night he said he was thinking about a Dirtycrack now. He informed me that the HP and torque was more than the Cummins. Already knew that. He's into more of the creature comforts and auto trans. I told him at least he's going diesel.

Worse yet, the neighbor shows up with a new Dirtycrack last night. Seems he traded his 24 valve in on it. Haven't talked to him yet.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:58 AM

Looks like he bought a real nice truck.

Gotta say that when we are out camping I love to see all the different rigs. Haven't run into a bad guy yet, even though I visit with folks driving PSDs and DMAXs. Sure they have their preferences, so do I, still fun to talk too.

One fella in Missoula owned a '04 Ford PSD. I asked where he was headed and, with a sad face, he said, "Home." "What's up?" I asked. He was driving south out of Glacier, MT, going down a big hill when the folks in front of him start slowing down real fast. He down-shifted (instead of using brakes, etc.) and over-revved the motor (his terminology). Got to the bottom of the hill and truck was running bad. Limped it into a Ford dealer in Missoula, confident that they would fix it up under warranty.

Reader's digest version: Cost him $5000 to have the motor fixed. Shop wouldn't cover it under warranty since he had added an exhaust brake and performance box of some sort (he didn't say which one).

Real nice guy with a bit of bad luck. Doesn't make me hate Fords, just re-enforces my distaste for dealers and their service departments.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:01 PM

great ride, quiet as gas, pull better than the cummins, allison that most dream for, mileage in the hight teens to low 20, and great trade in valve...

i think your dads are a smart guys boys... did i miss something... oya great service
Old 01-06-2006, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fredw
did i miss something... oya great service
The dealer that put it to me the hardest was a Gunk Motors dealer!! The absolute worst.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:14 PM

Like I said in the past, If I planned on trading it in before the 100K mark and doing nothing to it myself, I would buy a duramax. BUT I own a cummins that will be around for many more miles and I'm the warranty station. The Allison is a sweet trans, wish dodge had them.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:26 PM

I'm sure it's a great truck. I was just hoping he'd get a Megacab.

That being said, I'm just glad he got himself something nice. Growing up my parents NEVER had new cars and never really bought anything nice for themselves because their top priority was taking care of their children. Now that all the kids are out of the house and on their own they are starting to treat themselves. My mom got a new fully loaded Chevy Tahoe last year and now my dad got himself a Duramax.

Now I just have to convince him that 360/650 isn't enough...and that he needs a new exhaust, intake and an Edge Juice w/Attitude.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:28 PM

engine long term reliabilty and life is the only concern and that just takes time to find the answer...

if the trucks are left in stock fourm , then life probally will not be a concern... i usally do not keep my truck longer than four years because of resale valve
Old 01-06-2006, 12:46 PM

Just remember to be very proud of it for him. He will love the respect, and you will feel better down the road for being mature.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:20 PM

I have nothing against Chevy trucks so that won't be hard.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by fredw
great ride, quiet as gas, pull better than the cummins, allison that most dream for, mileage in the hight teens to low 20, and great trade in valve...

i think your dads are a smart guys boys... did i miss something... oya great service
1. Not as quiet as gas.
2. I doubt if the mileage will come out that high.
3. Great service is an anomaly anymore, has more to do with the person that owns the dealership that the brand name on the sign out front.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Banned

the Duramaxes are overpriced and are not as reliable as the Cummins, but they have a better automatic tranny from the factory, and they're still a FAR better choice than a 6.0 flowersmoke!!!

and you give 'em a little fuel, and they'll lay it down!!!! 550rwhp on the stock turbo no problem

Quick Reply: My Dad Got a Duramax