Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Mufflers, no mufflers and NOISE

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 09:37 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Mufflers, no mufflers and NOISE

Here is a news article I just read and am posting it without comment. Your job is to comment.

Driving under influence of loud noise could be dangerous, study suggests

Canadian Press

St. John's — Much to the horror of teenagers everywhere, a recent study has proven what parents have long suspected — loud noise decreases reaction time and decision-making ability.

The study is bad news for decibel-loving drivers, says Dr. David Behm, a professor of human kinetics at Memorial University in Newfoundland.

"If it's noisy and you're listening to CBC Radio really loud and you're driving . . . we would expect that your reaction time and your movement time would be decreased and your ability to concentrate on a complex task would also be decreased," he said.

The study had people perform physical and mental tasks while listening to levels of noise varying from 53 decibels (about the level of background noise in an office) to an industrial-strength 95 decibels (the equivalent of an oil rig).

Measuring physical and mental abilities over the course of an hour, researchers found that reaction time decreased at higher noise levels.

At office level, it was depressed five per cent. At 95 decibels, the ability to perform physical tasks decreased about 10 per cent.

For complex tasks that require decision-making, in this case playing a video game, reaction times decreased an average of 20 per cent at the highest level of noise.

Although it translates into mere fractions of a second, on the road those fractions make a big difference, said Duane Button, who performed the study while a master's student at Memorial.

"You have people and vehicles and pedestrians and stop signs and lights all coming at you at one time. You have this noise blasting in your ear. You have your kids behind you," Mr. Button said from Winnipeg, where he is pursuing doctoral studies at the University of Manitoba.

"If you lose a bit of reaction time then that .035 seconds can be the difference between an accident or not."

On the job, the study proves that loud work environments without the proper ear protection could mean more accidents, Mr. Behm said.

Workplace regulations limit the amount of exposure to 95-decibel noise to one hour, but the length of exposure to the noise didn't make a difference in the study. The effect was immediate and ongoing.

"What we thought was that perhaps over time you'll get what's called accommodation," Mr. Behm said. "If you're sitting in your car and you turn on your radio and the traffic around is loud so you turn up the radio a bit more. Then a good song comes up and you turn it up a bit more. You keep on turning the radio up. . . . The next day you get in the car and the radio is blasting and you wonder how the hell did I have the radio up so high? What happens is your ears accommodate to noise."

Your ears may accommodate to noise but it appears your brain doesn't.

"Reaction time stayed depressed the whole time," Mr. Button said.

But there is some hope for teenaged drivers for whom blasting urban beats are as important as gasoline or turn signals.

The study did not look specifically at music. And although parents may consider the latest from 50 Cent worse than a jackhammer, Mr. Button leaves room for a lesser reaction.

"Noise for me may not be noise for someone else," Mr. Button said.

So perhaps the driver should always rule the radio, after all.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, now that's interesting. It seems pretty easy to understand that having distractions would be, well, distracting , but I'm not sure I understand how the volume plays into it. This is going to take some research.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:04 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What does this have to do with mufflers?
Old 03-22-2004, 11:10 AM

If, as the research Stan posted seems to indicate, people's concentration is affected more as noises get louder (not merely the distraction factor of having some noise present), then I think he's implying that leaving our mufflers on would make us better drivers.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:11 AM

Or.....taking our mufflers off could help keep us awake on long trips...making us better drivers.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Hoss
Or.....taking our mufflers off could help keep us awake on long trips...making us better drivers.
If you are falling asleep at the wheel I'd appreciate if you

A) Please stay away from roads I am on
B) Leave your muffler on and get more sleep so you don't fall asleep
C) Don't use the same insurance carrier so my company doesn't lose money and hike rates.

Since I am 2/3 deaf already due to industrial noise I can't comment on this article.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:51 PM

Don't worry spots. I usually only fall asleep on the late night drives.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:22 PM
Banned

Don't worry spots. I usually only fall asleep on the late night drives.
Nice to know.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:25 PM

And when going through Florida.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:30 PM

I'd think the love bugs splatting against your car would keep you awake in that case.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by jfpointer
OK, now that's interesting. It seems pretty easy to understand that having distractions would be, well, distracting , but I'm not sure I understand how the volume plays into it. This is going to take some research.
So it seems that sound has numerous physiological effects that might account for this, particularly if you assume that these effects go up as the volume goes up. An increased respiratory rate and heart rate aren't usually conducive to good concentration. Think "fight or flight."

Examples of temporary physiological effects are:

The startling response to loud noise, where muscles burst into activities, generally, with the intention to protect.
The muscle tension response, where muscles tend to contract in the presence of loud noise.
The respiratory reflexes, where the respiratory rhythm tends to change when noise is present.
Changes in the heart beat pattern.
Changes in the diameter of the blood vessels, particularly in the skin.
All those effects are similar to the response of the body to other stressors.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:09 AM

That would explain why.... most people will turn DOWN the volume on their radios whilst searching for an address?!?
Old 03-23-2004, 07:31 AM
Banned

Dandy. Another hazard on the road added to the blue hair crowd...
Old 03-23-2004, 08:12 AM

How'd you know I have blue hair?
Old 03-23-2004, 05:52 PM

cant hardly hear my straight pipe so my concentration that does exist in small quantitys is not affected

Quick Reply: Mufflers, no mufflers and NOISE