Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Mud Truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 06:43 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
I'd like to have a deuce for me, but for what Michael does the Ford will serve him better with the less weight. I'd like to get a deuce chassis and put a 'civilized' cab on it. Or put the drive train under my international.
If you're gonna go to all that trouble, get a 5 ton. They ride better than a duece anyway and you get to have a BIG cummins. Deuce uses Hercules, but sounds the same as the 5.9.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Redleg
If you're gonna go to all that trouble, get a 5 ton. They ride better than a duece anyway and you get to have a BIG cummins. Deuce uses Hercules, but sounds the same as the 5.9.
If I put the drive train under my International I'll be using all my International springs. And I like the idea of the DT466 that's already in it. It's no powerhouse, but I'm getting almost 14 MPG pulling the 40' trailer. Even if it dropped to 10 with all the extra weight of the axles and transfer case I'd still be happy. Probably have to put a 13 speed double overdrive in it tho to keep the same RPM/road speed tho. And I'd probably need the 5 ton axles just to get the air brakes.

I'll stick to the mud truck project for now tho... that oughta keep me busy for the next year or so!

Got the triple roll bar base started today and mounted the battery box to it. Tomorrow I'll start wiring so at least it'll be mobile once I get the front hubs back.

What size fire wood will you be needing Don? And how small do you split it? I'll get a good truck load of it put up this winter/spring, borrow a trailer, put the loader on the trailer and bring it all up once the snow clears your driveway. That should be what, June or July? Will that truck fit on a trailer that has fenders or will I need a deck-over?
Old 01-16-2010, 09:11 PM

You want the whole chassis or just the powertrain? I should go make sure it hasn't seized from sitting, but I doubt it.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Administrator

I'll take the whole thing if you're looking to get rid of it. I can remove just the motor too if that's what you want. I Was thinking the transfer case would be a little more stout than the aluminum piece of garbage that's in the Ford, but I'll be MORE than happy with the motor alone! (I thought you wanted to rid yourself of the whole thing to make more room for the mancave or something! )
Old 01-16-2010, 10:11 PM

It's just that you can't use my transfer case with your axle. Dodge is passenger side drop on the diff, your Ford if Driver side. The ring and pinion geometry is stronger on the Ford since it's a high pinion, which is one reason I recommended keeping yours. Also, mine is the infamous Dana 61, which you probably won't want. The 3:07 gears cannot be swapped out without some shimming and machining on both the front and rear axles. Though, both should be stout yet. Brakes were like new all around, but probably need to be broke free now. If the t case on the ford is a NP205, should be the same strength as my NP205. Plus the input shaft is probably different if you plan on keeping the ford trans in there.

The Radiator was new, until the original rear end locked up and the fan caught it in the flex. It was then patched by a pro. It is the later cross flow cooling system, not the original verticle flow. Turbo was rebuilt by michigan turbo in wyoming not long before it was parked, it has the 16cm housing. Pump has been tweaked a little, but not insanely. Valve lash shouldn't be due for adjust for awhile. Timing advanced a hair. If I remember right, approx. 1/4" which should = about 2.5 deg, which is what I think was the optimum. It's been awhile.

Edit- I see you say the one in it is aluminum. Check that greatlakes 4x4 calssified now and then for a NP205 out of a ford and/or trucks being parted out with the 205. They're on there frequently.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Redleg
It's just that you can't use my transfer case with your axle...
What I was thinking, if I remember correctly from my truck building days, is that the NP205's can be 'clocked' to provide left or right side positions. I think they can also be 'divorced' from the transmission to make a stand-alone unit. It's been so long since I've been into this stuff!
Old 01-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I know the 205's can be either married or divorced....

Not sure about the clocking though.

Looks fun, when you get it built bring it down here for some real mud...
Old 01-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by blake.clark
I know the 205's can be either married or divorced....

Not sure about the clocking though.

Looks fun, when you get it built bring it down here for some real mud...
I might be inclined to do that if it got more than 4 MPG!

We DO have some mud here tho... blue, wet clay just as deep as you want to dig! I rented an excavator for some miscellaneous projects when I first moved out here, and I dug down about 14 feet and hit nothing but blue clay. Makes for some good mudholes tho!
Old 01-17-2010, 06:36 PM

This is the married version. You could possibly splece one side of the slip sleave for the tranny output shaft and make an adaptor plate. It's off the vehicle so I'll try to take a look and see what's there for breather hole and shifting considerations for reclocking. I know guys did that with divcorced units to build up compound transfer cases. I may need my drive shafts though, for jeep mods.