Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Mud Truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrahs
can't really see the radiator with the spare in the way but this is the car we built last year
That's a pretty awesome car!

Thanks for the pics.

I think I'm going to leave the radiator in place for now and see what happens with a new electric cooling fan and relocation of the tranny cooler to the rear with its' own fan unit. The radiator is only a 2 core, but it's brand new and was cooling somewhat with very little air-flow. A new and effective fan and getting rid of the tranny heat might do the trick. The radiator was surprisingly clean as well which I didn't expect to find when I stripped all the other stuff from around it. If the new fan doesn't do it, then I'll try a 4 core radiator. But those things are pricey!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:37 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know where there's a 5bt to swap in. I'd consider leaving the 727 off of it and putting a 5 spd behind it though.

Welcome aboard Mike.

Don (You should recognise my avatar)
Old 01-13-2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Redleg
I know where there's a 5bt to swap in. I'd consider leaving the 727 off of it and putting a 5 spd behind it though.

Welcome aboard Mike.

Don (You should recognise my avatar)
Hi Don,

Thanks for the greeting and advice. We are going to use the truck as part of the E.S.C.A.P.E. program.

Scott wanted me to ask you if you would be interested in donating your truck for this project?

Mike
Old 01-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mudsforme
Scott wanted me to ask you if you would be interested in donating your truck for this project?

Mike
Well of COURSE he's interested... whether or not he WILL is the question!
Old 01-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
That's a pretty awesome car!

Thanks for the pics.

I think I'm going to leave the radiator in place for now and see what happens with a new electric cooling fan and relocation of the tranny cooler to the rear with its' own fan unit. The radiator is only a 2 core, but it's brand new and was cooling somewhat with very little air-flow. A new and effective fan and getting rid of the tranny heat might do the trick. The radiator was surprisingly clean as well which I didn't expect to find when I stripped all the other stuff from around it. If the new fan doesn't do it, then I'll try a 4 core radiator. But those things are pricey!
if your gonna mount it in the bed, then any 4 core should work since fab work will be needed to run lines etc... wrecking yard score might be in order
Old 01-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by cbrahs
if your gonna mount it in the bed, then any 4 core should work since fab work will be needed to run lines etc... wrecking yard score might be in order
That's a good point. I don't know what I'm going to do yet... lots of possibilities. Just found the motor has an antifreeze leak somewhere at the back of the motor. I think it's in the bell housing. Hopefully just a freeze plug, but who knows? Either way, major components will have to come apart and I strongly dislike mech work... I AM A WELDER!

I'll have to talk to Red and see if he really wants to sell his 6BT. If I have to yank things apart, I might as well do something really cool if I can afford it!
Old 01-15-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
That's a good point. I don't know what I'm going to do yet... lots of possibilities. Just found the motor has an antifreeze leak somewhere at the back of the motor. I think it's in the bell housing. Hopefully just a freeze plug, but who knows? Either way, major components will have to come apart and I strongly dislike mech work... I AM A WELDER!
Cut a hole in the bell housing, weld the freeze plug to the block to stop the leak, and then weld the plug back into the bell housing - simple.

Seriously, a local guy who wasn't all that great a mechanic needed to change the oil pump on a truck but didn't want to pull the motor loose to get the oil pan off so he cut a hole in the oil pan, changed the oil pump, and then welded a patch over the hole in the oil pan. Not how I would have done it but I'm told that it ran.

BTW, that's the unique 5BT that Redleg knows of being available, not to be confused with the 6BT that we love or the 4BT that is so popular for transplants.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Administrator

In the on-going saga of the mutated, modified monster mud monster; I have found out that the Dana 60 front axle that is in it, is a 1979 one ton axle from a Ford. Interestingly, Ford didn't MAKE a one ton in 4 wheel drive in 1979.

Stay tuned!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:07 PM

Certain it's a 60 and not a 44HD? 44HD was 8 lug. I have one in the yard. Yes, 6BT, I was sleepy and din't catch the typo. If you want it, it's yours for trade if you can get it going (i/e, trade for firewood, I here there's a loader bucket laying down there, tractor stuff, etc.) When it was parked due to a bad tranny, it ran sweet. The weather has gotten to the injection lines and starter. An issue you would have with the ford is it's a driver drop diff, so you'd have to use a tranny and t case from a 2nd gen donor, or off a ford diesel, with correct adaptor plate. If you rebuilt the 727, you could use the axles off this, except it's the infamaous 3:07 gear with duals. I'd try to keep the high pinion diff under it if I could, with your lift, though.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Certain it's a 60 and not a 44HD? 44HD was 8 lug. I have one in the yard. Yes, 6BT, I was sleepy and din't catch the typo. If you want it, it's yours for trade if you can get it going (i/e, trade for firewood, I here there's a loader bucket laying down there, tractor stuff, etc.) When it was parked due to a bad tranny, it ran sweet. The weather has gotten to the injection lines and starter. An issue you would have with the ford is it's a driver drop diff, so you'd have to use a tranny and t case from a 2nd gen donor, or off a ford diesel, with correct adaptor plate. If you rebuilt the 727, you could use the axles off this, except it's the infamaous 3:07 gear with duals. I'd try to keep the high pinion diff under it if I could, with your lift, though.
I accept your offer! Thanks Don!

No, it's a 60. Found out today it's a 1979 60 no less! That's ok... older is heavier!

My eventual plans are for military 2.5 ton axles at some point. The ones under it now are heavy, but not heavy enough for what mad-man Mike does with it! They've lasted since 1997 tho so I guess that's a tribute to them.

I was looking of fordcummins.com and they sell adapter plates for the 6bt to adapt to the C6 tranny, so that may be an option too.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:22 PM

79 HP60 is probably the most sought after, of any front diffs. Probably the sterling in the rear. Good set up, but I think the 14 bolt rear would be better. My uncle has a chevy with duece axles, and a big block. Expensive to run.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Administrator

79 HP60 is probably the most sought after, of any front diffs. Probably the sterling in the rear. Good set up, but I think the 14 bolt rear would be better. My uncle has a chevy with duece axles, and a big block. Expensive to run.
Where'd he find the duece axles?
Old 01-15-2010, 11:23 PM

They were on the truck. Check that greatlakes4x4 for leads. I've seen them listed and I've seen guys given sources in the past. I'd rather scrap the whole thing and get a whole deuce. Seen one sitting on M115 at Copemish. I think they usually run around $3500 or so?
Old 01-16-2010, 06:48 AM
Administrator

They were on the truck. Check that greatlakes4x4 for leads. I've seen them listed and I've seen guys given sources in the past. I'd rather scrap the whole thing and get a whole deuce. Seen one sitting on M115 at Copemish. I think they usually run around $3500 or so?
I'd like to have a deuce for me, but for what Michael does the Ford will serve him better with the less weight. I'd like to get a deuce chassis and put a 'civilized' cab on it. Or put the drive train under my international.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:02 AM
DTR Mom

Wink

let me know if you want anything from over here, you KNOW I can find stuff!
I am banned from owning any more military vehicles though

I am getting too old to r and r trannys though...that's all on you!

Quick Reply: Mud Truck