Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Mozilla Firefox 2.0 available for download !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Mozilla Firefox 2.0 available for download !!!

Attention all Firefox users :

Firefox 2.0 is out for download. If you are currently running Firefox, you will not get an update message box saying it is available. I was running version 1.6.x and hit the Check for Updates and it told me no updates were available, even though 2.0 is out.

I just downloaded it and it looks great. For all you IE users who are curious, I recommend you try it, it is very nice. A new feature it has is LIVE Spell Check !!! You do not need to run a 3rd party program for spell check. The spell check is integrated into Firefox and will correct as you type. You don't even have to hit a spell check button. I am liking this version more and more and I have only had it for 15 minutes now.

Available for download here :http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

More info can be found here :http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/press/m...006-10-24.html

I am in no way affiliated with Mozilla, just an avid user of their product
Old 10-27-2006, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firefox is 1000 times better than IE. It doesn't hang up or close or poke along slow or do any other crazy things. Also 2.0 allows you to import bookmarks from IE, Netscape, Firefox 1.x or any other bookmarks.html file. I just setup a new pc, and was able to export bookmarks from the 1.x, put them on a jump drive, and then import them to 2.0. See File - import/export. Also the bookmark management is nice.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:45 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
DON'T DO IT!

I just downloaded it and it shut down both my firefox and IE browsers, neither one would access the Internet. I removed it, reinstalled an older version of Firefox I had and I am back.

I don't know what the heck the problem was but it stopped my Internet browsing capability cold. I could still send and receive email, but no browser.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
DON'T DO IT!

I just downloaded it and it shut down both my Firefox and IE browsers, neither one would access the Internet. I removed it, reinstalled an older version of Firefox I had and I am back.

I don't know what the heck the problem was but it stopped my Internet browsing capability cold. I could still send and receive email, but no browser.
Very weird Lary. My install was painless and was only off line for the time required for installing. Does your computer have any other programs running that may have conflicted with Firefox?
Old 10-27-2006, 09:57 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Not that I am aware with, but that is possible. I shut off my firewall but all it would do is give me a time out error when trying to load a browser.

Correction...only IE is now working I can't get the old version of firefox to access the internet even though the firewall has granted it permission.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Very odd. 2.0 is running fine on both of my machines One is Windows XP and the other in Windows 98SE. Both share a cable internet connection via a Linksys router. IE still works too.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:14 PM

I was gettin some problems w/the old version. this one rocks the party that rocks the party
Old 10-27-2006, 11:42 PM

Just upgraded, no problems, much better than IE 7.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I use Firefox 1.5.0.7 right now, and although I like the upgrades with 2.0, I will wait awhile until all the bugs are worked out.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:58 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well...I just downloaded it and so far it seems to be working great. I like the little close tab buttons and I like the spell check. Looks like another great product.

I thought I read that the spell check made recommendations, but as far as I can tell it simply underlines the misspelled word in red, which is fine as far as I'm concerned (if I spelled it wrong the first time I typically get it right the second anyway since I'm a genius and all).
Old 10-28-2006, 02:02 AM

WOW! I'm surprised by the number of people here that actually use Firefox!

It's no doubt head and shoulders better than Internet explorer. IMO Faster, less hangups/lockups, more user friendly, and cooler more useable features!
Old 10-28-2006, 02:06 AM

I'm running FireFox 2.0 on my computer and I haven't had any problems at all.

Scott
Old 10-28-2006, 02:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the themes feature. I have the halloween theme up right now.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:28 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hoss
Well...I just downloaded it and so far it seems to be working great. I like the little close tab buttons and I like the spell check. Looks like another great product.

I thought I read that the spell check made recommendations, but as far as I can tell it simply underlines the misspelled word in red, which is fine as far as I'm concerned (if I spelled it wrong the first time I typically get it right the second anyway since I'm a genius and all).
If you right click the red underlined words it will give several alternate correct spellings too.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:01 AM

Yep.. Been using FF 2 on this machine and it's working flawlessly. I suspect most that have issues also use plugins with FF and that's where the issues are cropping up.

Quick Reply: Mozilla Firefox 2.0 available for download !!!