Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Moving to Texas! Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crobtex
No! No! No!, Herb, you got it wrong! We don't mind bringing in a few folks from the North......it's from the South that we're trying to stop.

Bring that Cummins on down, Cartman! Great State and great people.
hey i resent that, i from the south. i ll be comming sooner or later.

dieselfan
Old 09-24-2006, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266
Just remember, the war between the states is in a cease fire. They are not gonna take kindly to dang yankees.

Yankee = a northerner who comes to visit.
Dang yankee = a northerner who comes to stay.
And a Gol Dang Yankee = a northerner who comes south, stays and marry's a southern girl.

Actually this isn't so much in Tejas as it is in LA,MS and AL.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:34 PM

One other thing to remember. You can live there for the next 50 yrs but you will never be a Texan. You have to be born there to earn the right to call yourself that.
Actually I wouldn't worry about changing my plate that quick. There are lots of folks from all over the world around the Houston area. It is a pretty diverse area. I was never treated with anything but kindness by the folks in the country down there. Even in the city most people where pretty good there. Of course, like any city there are places you stay away from at night like Gunspoint (aka Greenspoint).
Old 09-24-2006, 06:31 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by crobtex
No! No! No!, Herb, you got it wrong! We don't mind bringing in a few folks from the North......it's from the South that we're trying to stop.
Gee, does that mean that I can't go north any more? My feelings are hurt
Old 09-24-2006, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan

C'mon up dude we just opened a sombreo factory
Old 09-24-2006, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Iron Mike
there are places you stay away from at night like Gunspoint (aka Greenspoint).
sw houston is way worse now than gunspoint ever was.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:41 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by herb
C'mon up dude we just opened a sombreo factory
Thanks - I think.
Was in factory here last week and one of the guys had a stetson shaped hard hat. First one I had seen. Is this from your area Herb?
Old 09-24-2006, 06:59 PM

Thanks - I think.
Was in factory here last week and one of the guys had a stetson shaped hard hat. First one I had seen. Is this from your area Herb?
they have those here too. usually worn by people from your area.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:09 PM

I am currently a Controls Engineer by trade dealing with PLCs (programmable logic controllers) I have been doing this line of work since I got out of high school. I will basically be traveling around Texas and around the world going to rigs to fix them.

The company's name is National Oilwell Varco. They are a huge operation. I hear guys out in the field have dubbed them "No Other Vendor" because you can get everything from them. I have a relocation agent and I will use the towns you guys mentioned. I'm not bringing my toys down JUST yet...but I want to find a house to rent that has a garage...I spend more time in there than inside the house anyways.. It's great that I asked the question and you guys gave me some nice responses.
I am going to have to ditch that Michigan plate ASAP!
I will keep ALL of these things in mind!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Come on up, Stan. You probably have enough papers to be legal in a lot of places.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:58 AM

Thanks - I think.
I would bet a stetson shaped hard hat would sell in the western oriented states----good idea !!
Old 09-25-2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by derek840378
sw houston is way worse now than gunspoint ever was.
I never spent much time on the SW side. My apartment was between 610 and the Beltway just off 290. Only got down to Fluor Daniels in Sugarland in the daylight hrs. Also only up at Greenspoint during daylight. There are plenty of scarey areas all over the city. But I did think it was a lot safer than when I had to spend some time In New Orleans. Plus a lot better Mexican food than New Orleans.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:13 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get rid of your out of state plate FAST---Get a cowboy hat---and don't talk anymore than you have to until you get a handle on that Texas Drawl.
It's kind of an unwritten law there that if your not Texan your in the wrong place !!
Herb, that may well be one of the first things you've ever said that I've agreed with.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would bet a stetson shaped hard hat would sell in the western oriented states----good idea !!
Most major construction companies won't allow them on their jobsites because they are not an OSHA approved hardhat, so you really don't see as many of them as you might expect (even in Texas).
Old 09-25-2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cartman
I am currently a Controls Engineer by trade dealing with PLCs (programmable logic controllers) I have been doing this line of work since I got out of high school. I will basically be traveling around Texas and around the world going to rigs to fix them.

The company's name is National Oilwell Varco. They are a huge operation. I hear guys out in the field have dubbed them "No Other Vendor" because you can get everything from them. I have a relocation agent and I will use the towns you guys mentioned. I'm not bringing my toys down JUST yet...but I want to find a house to rent that has a garage...I spend more time in there than inside the house anyways.. It's great that I asked the question and you guys gave me some nice responses.
I am going to have to ditch that Michigan plate ASAP!
I will keep ALL of these things in mind!!!
Yeah, NatOil's a big outfit. One of their divisions has basically bought up all of the other Crane Companies (Offshore that is). PLC's . They are a good thing but way over utilized. Some things need to be left simple. I mean you shouldn't need a laptop to operate a simple 10 ton winch. Oh well, you should have a good career and not lack for job opportunities in your chosen field. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Moving to Texas! Advice?