Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

moving to texas

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
moving to texas

How is Texas? My kids are two and I'm sick of the way of life in CA. I don't want to raise my kids here. We're looking into Mckinney or Humble Texas? How is it and hows Construction. I have about five years in const. right out of High School so thats about all I know for a career. I'n CA I build about three spec homes a year and own a plumbing company. Any info will help. Thanks
Old 07-13-2006, 11:34 PM

AMEN!! Got a little teared up there!! GOD BLESS TEXAS!!!
Old 07-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
-In Norco, the equestrian area that I live in, boots nor sandals stick out. Actually boots don't stick out anywhere unless you're by the beach, but why the heck'd you wear boots by the beach?
-We have a drive-through liquor store and have had one for over ten years... And we can go to the beach, or the mountains, or the sand dunes, or the river, or the forest, or the desert, within 4 hours...
-Texas chicks are hotter.

Chandra North equals no contest.
-You may have "ya'll" and "ma'am", but why is it that you're kids idolize the way we talk on MTV? (And, once again, having an upbringing in Norco, all of the country-boy vernacular is common here.)
-I think that both regions are equal on drug use, personally.
-We have more Mexicans than you do. (I think.) Once again, I don't know if that's something to be proud of.
-Our **** industry is bigger than many countries GDP. Don't know if that's something to be proud of either, but still...
-You don't get snow days off either?
-You know that you wish you wouldn't look out of place doing 90 in a 65. In California, freeways are either 90 or 9...
-Beer is unhealthy anyways.
-Our Governor was born in Europe. Bush was born in Maine. Maine.
-Bush was born in Maine.

-Wait a second, I still can't get over the Texan born in Maine...

-In California, you can get stuck in as much traffic at midnight as at 6 o'clock on Friday. Judging by our freeways, we have a lot more nightlife than you do. (Or maybe the same guys stuck at 6:00 take 6 hours to get home...)
-951 Pride, baby!
-I can speak first hand that chicks everywhere in the country dig the dude from California. Usually we're more attractive than the whole beer belly, chewing tobacco and patriotic zeal guys...
-California has the best drivers in the country. I can't tell you all the crazy accidents I've seen people avoid (and personally avoided) while going 90 on the freeway.
-Texas was the only state to actually use it's legal right to succeed, get it's butt walloped by Yankees, and then come crawling back into the Union a few years later. Yeah, that's pride.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:51 AM
Chapter President

In Texas you can go to the beach, the desert, the mountains, the swamp, basically any climate exept artic, and maybe forest, but the hill country comes close.
I will admit you Calis have better access from the beach to drylake beds for speed testing(we us I-10), but a little longer drought and we should be able to catch up.
Team Roping was popular in California, before it was in Texas, but when it hit we took over.
You guys may make ****, but Texas makes the weapons for the defense of this country, that allows you to make that much ****.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by BLACKDODOGE
(1)How is Texas? .....
(2)Humble Texas? How is it and hows Construction. ......
(3)I have about five years in const. right out of High School so thats about all I know for a career.
1. too vague of a question its something different everywhere
2.I live about 30 miles from Humble. there is virtually no construction in Humble but about 10 miles north of town there is a major overhaul going on on Hwy 59. Nice area and DeerBrooke Mall is a big plus
3.There is all kinds of construction going on in and around houston. a hwy linking crosby w/ houston will be opening in about 5 years business should be booming shortly thereafter.
Hope this helps!
Old 07-14-2006, 05:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How is Texas? My kids are two and I'm sick of the way of life in CA. I don't want to raise my kids here. We're looking into Mckinney or Humble Texas? How is it and hows Construction. I have about five years in const. right out of High School so thats about all I know for a career. I'n CA I build about three spec homes a year and own a plumbing company. Any info will help. Thanks

I live in McKinney, TX. Your question is a very broad one when you ask "how is Texas?" If you want to work in construction here.........then come on buddy. They are buiding everywhere around here. McKinney was about 35,000 I believe in 2000. Now it is over 100,000 population.

But remember too, that McKinney isn't the only growing, booming city around here. Frisco next door is growing at an even faster clip. Anna and Melissa and Prosper are the next up and coming suburbs. There will be plenty of work for you, believe me.

Now, the bad side. We are in a drought. It has been 102 degrees the past several days here and it won't go away until late September or October. We have no winter to speak of. But we get a blistering summer every year.

Coming from Cali, you can buy ALOT more house here for what you would pay there. The schools are good. Traffic is pretty bad, but prob not any worse than what you have there.

I want to move out and go someplace more secluded when I retire, but if work and public schools are your priorities.......then McKinney will work out great for you.

I haven't personally met a Californian who moved here that wanted to go back. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:31 AM

Yepper.. Do your research on the schools prior to selecting a community. Most school districts have web sites that list how their schools are doing compared to the rest of the state.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:20 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, I don't like the climate of the Humble area. Too humid.

Construction is booming in the major cities right now, but the market is very volatile. The price of drywall has gone up about 40% in the last couple of months. Prices of steel, copper and so many other construction materials have also skyrocketed. It's a good time to be in construction, but a very BAD time to be an owner wanting to build something.

Of course, I'm talking about commercial construction. The housing market in the big cities has been booming for several years now but I think it's about peaked out. They're still building houses everywhere, but with the high price of gas and so many other commodities it's just a matter of time before residential building goes in the tank for a while.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:32 AM

I second the vote for McKinney. I hope to be starting my house there before the end of the year.