Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

more boat related stuff

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more boat related stuff

ok, now that I have the trailer almost done, I am going to start working on the motor. I originally planned on taking it to a shop to have it serviced, but now I think I am going to try and fix it myself (he wanted 350 for it ).

the only huge problem is that the motor wont even come close to idle. so after some research it sounds like the carb is dunbar and needs to be taken apart and cleaned. I guess there is a carb rebuild kit I can get, I just need to find it.

the mech I talked to said that without a doubt it would need a new water pump (this was over the phone, he never looked at the motor). anyone know why he would think that?

my goal is to make the motor idle at LEAST in the "shift" position, so its not so jarring when I shift from forward or reverse. I dont need it for trolling, as I have a trolling motor. so if anyone has advice, let me know, or any ideas for me, I am all ears!

cheers!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:30 PM

What are you working on?

Edit; Sweet 555 posts!!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:32 PM

Most outboard motors just for relaibility sake will have the water pump replaced evey few years. I do mine every 3 years and thats even using a fresh water flush on the system after every use. The impellors on the pump can easily dry rot or get damaged from something sucked through them, better safe than sorry.

As for your other issues, not much help there sorry.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by triplenickel
What are you working on?

well, all I really know is its an older 6hp evinrude. I have the serial number, but cant seem to find out any info on it.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:52 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

How long has the motor been stored?
How has the motor been stored?

spiders build webs in tight areas,
wasps build nests in bad places.

Outside of dryrot, seals dry and crack, nest clog ports, tear the motor apart and clean it up. Make sure all the oil lines are clear inside and there is no sludge blockage. etc.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
How long has the motor been stored?
How has the motor been stored?

spiders build webs in tight areas,
wasps build nests in bad places.

Outside of dryrot, seals dry and crack, nest clog ports, tear the motor apart and clean it up. Make sure all the oil lines are clear inside and there is no sludge blockage. etc.

the motor has been sitting almost 6 or 7 years. and when I went to pick it up, it was laying on its side, throttle down. once I finish the trailer, and get it all back on the trailer, I will start tearing the motor apart (I accidently left the motor stand in MN). I think I need to find that carb rebuild kit.