Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Mmmm, global warming....

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a little insight into the whole thing. I read the last chapter, and guess what, we win.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:59 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by usmc2311
Trying to predict what the planet will do is like standing at the end of a tunnel with a radar gun and clocking a CTD at 70 MPH and summarizing that it was going 70 all through the tunnel. Heck, we just came out of the 'little ice age' in the late 1700's. The warmest decade this century was in the 1930's. And I'm sure that all the cars, or clear cutting, or Algores house didn't contribute. I'm calling BS. Just heard the founder of The Weather Channel (he's a meterologist on KUSI in San Diego) on the Rush Limbaugh program on Friday. He even calls it BS. He says that in 20 years we won't be talking about global warming at all. I'm with him. Like was stated earlier in this post, in the 70's/80's they were talking about global cooling. It's whatever is newsworthy. Unfortunately we are all paying the price now. Increased emmisions standards. Higher fuel cost. Rediculous taxes. And while they talk about the shrinking ice caps in the north (and the devastating effects on the poor polar bears) they fail to mention that the Antartic ice cap is growing at an increased rate.
Now don't start peeing on their religion with facts....
Old 11-12-2007, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by usmc2311
Trying to predict what the planet will do is like standing at the end of a tunnel with a radar gun and clocking a CTD at 70 MPH and summarizing that it was going 70 all through the tunnel. Heck, we just came out of the 'little ice age' in the late 1700's. The warmest decade this century was in the 1930's. And I'm sure that all the cars, or clear cutting, or Algores house didn't contribute. I'm calling BS. Just heard the founder of The Weather Channel (he's a meterologist on KUSI in San Diego) on the Rush Limbaugh program on Friday. He even calls it BS. He says that in 20 years we won't be talking about global warming at all. I'm with him. Like was stated earlier in this post, in the 70's/80's they were talking about global cooling. It's whatever is newsworthy. Unfortunately we are all paying the price now. Increased emmisions standards. Higher fuel cost. Rediculous taxes. And while they talk about the shrinking ice caps in the north (and the devastating effects on the poor polar bears) they fail to mention that the Antartic ice cap is growing at an increased rate.

I completely agree with you, Rush is GOD
Old 11-12-2007, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by coparam4x4
Like I've said before, I am a firm believer of Global Warming: It's been going on for millions and millions of years..... It's funny that suddenly we are responsible for the last 75 years of this natural phenomenon. Now since my house is heated by natural gas, I guess I can claim my house is "green" because in a vehicle that is considered an "alternative fuel" right?
i never knew the planet was millions of years old?
Old 11-12-2007, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
global warming is just some hype that the liberal media made up to make the republicans look bad....al boore said it best in the inconvient truth where he took a movie and ruined it by bashing bush on the election.

so dont feel bad, its not real

brett
i agree with you
Old 11-13-2007, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by curts99
i never knew the planet was millions of years old?
haha, I really hope you are jokin
Old 11-14-2007, 08:07 PM

honestly i didnt know it was million and millions years old. i though it was at the most 5000 years old. also i though mt. st. hellas the vegitation would take millions of year to grow back and it only took what 15? also jesus came when the planet was about 2000 yrs old now were in 2000a.d i only get about 5000. also dinasor arent millions of years old the bible talkes of them so that proves that wrong bout them bein millions of years old just my thoughs and belifs. everyone is entitled to their own.

you augt to listen to michael shavage he has some good thoughts. (dont base my belifs off of him)
Old 11-15-2007, 12:29 AM

Well I think we should not pollute so much, and leave things clean, not throw our garbage all over the place, and recycle more is a good thing.
You cant tell me that when your coming into a big city that the haze you see looming over it is any good. Or all the garbage you see laying all over the ground is pleasant to look at. But to blame the whole global warming thing on us isnt all that true, but I dont think we are helping it out any either. But It wont hurt to treat the earth as you would your own home and yard and with the same respect for it.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by A_Manke
... But It wont hurt to treat the earth as you would your own home and yard and with the same respect for it.
Sad thing is that some people who litter ARE treating it the same as their own home and yard. I hate littering.

I don't think that we are necessarily the cause for the problem ... don't think we are helping the situation either.

PISTOL
Old 11-15-2007, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by A_Manke
Well I think we should not pollute so much, and leave things clean, not throw our garbage all over the place, and recycle more is a good thing.
You cant tell me that when your coming into a big city that the haze you see looming over it is any good. Or all the garbage you see laying all over the ground is pleasant to look at. But to blame the whole global warming thing on us isnt all that true, but I dont think we are helping it out any either. But It wont hurt to treat the earth as you would your own home and yard and with the same respect for it.
the only problem with the big city haze thing is that topography has as much (if not more) to do with the brown cloud as anything else. the smog is worse in l.a. because they need specific wind patterns to clear it out. similar to denver but their problems stem from smog being trapped by surrounding mountains.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:55 PM
HOV

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
Now for the inconvenient truth of global warming.

15000000000000 Watts is the total energy used globablly.
660000000000 Watts is the total energy generated by humans just living.
44000000000000 Watts is the energy released by the earths core.
this brings our total energy conversion to heat to 5.6*10^13 watts (56,000,000,000,000 Watts)
The sun's energy available at our distance is 1400 watt per square meter.
The earths cross sectional area is 1.3*10^14 square meters (130,000,000,000,000 square meters)
This brings the total to 1.8*10^17 watts of energy from the sun.
180,000,000,000,000,000 Watts from the sun
56,000,000,000,000 Watts from everything else.
that means that a 0.63% change in the suns released energy has as much effect as removing ALL other sources of energy from the earth.
that means that a 0.0083% change in the suns released energy has as much effect on the energy level of our little blue green rock as all the energy used.

Total solar out put over the last 33 years has been measured to vary about 0.1% (wikipedia).
so it looks like a 0.1% 11 year change in solar power well out weighs the 0.008 percent energy we convert to heat.

The atmosphere in question is what keeps us on the surface from feeling the full effects of a 0.1% swing in energy. Much of the energy is reflected, but my point remains that if there is a 0.1% swing every cycle, then a minuscule overall gain over the last 100 years cant be ruled out and even a minuscule change would generate the 1/2* C that we are concerning ourselves about.
Whether these numbers are spot on or just a pipe dream, this is the best post of the thread.

Some actual numbers are a welcome relief to all this skullduggery.

The only thing I'd say about this post is: the planet Venus presumably receives less solar radiation than we Earth-dwellers do, and Venus retains enough of that energy to maintain a surface temperature that will melt lead. The composition of the atmosphere is key, and there's no doubt we've been messing with atmospheric composition. No doubt. The only question is: have we messed with it enough that we can explain some or all of the current climate change on mankind, or is it a natural, cyclical phenomenon based on solar activity, or somewhere in-between.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:56 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

check them... they are good to two significant digits....

the zeros are there for effect.
10^13 and 10^19 dont look that much different until you start pressing that zero key....