Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Mmmm, global warming....

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:50 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now for the inconvenient truth of global warming.

15000000000000 Watts is the total energy used globablly.
660000000000 Watts is the total energy generated by humans just living.
44000000000000 Watts is the energy released by the earths core.
this brings our total energy conversion to heat to 5.6*10^13 watts (56,000,000,000,000 Watts)
The sun's energy available at our distance is 1400 watt per square meter.
The earths cross sectional area is 1.3*10^14 square meters (130,000,000,000,000 square meters)
This brings the total to 1.8*10^17 watts of energy from the sun.
180,000,000,000,000,000 Watts from the sun
56,000,000,000,000 Watts from everything else.
that means that a 0.63% change in the suns released energy has as much effect as removing ALL other sources of energy from the earth.
that means that a 0.0083% change in the suns released energy has as much effect on the energy level of our little blue green rock as all the energy used.

Total solar out put over the last 33 years has been measured to vary about 0.1% (wikipedia).
so it looks like a 0.1% 11 year change in solar power well out weighs the 0.008 percent energy we convert to heat.

The atmosphere in question is what keeps us on the surface from feeling the full effects of a 0.1% swing in energy. Much of the energy is reflected, but my point remains that if there is a 0.1% swing every cycle, then a minuscule overall gain over the last 100 years cant be ruled out and even a minuscule change would generate the 1/2* C that we are concerning ourselves about.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:20 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
But one thing that CO2 , Methane etc do influence is how much of the solar energy gets reflected or gets absorbed by the atmosphere. It's like comparing a truck that you re-paint from white to black. You didn't change a lot of the mass (truck 8000 pounds vs 1 pound of paint on the roof) but the effect when you ark it outside in summer is significant.

AlpineRAM
Old 11-12-2007, 02:22 AM

How much money would you pay to be able to just blow all the smoke you possibly can right on Al Gore??
Old 11-12-2007, 02:23 AM

thats true, but that black truck is cooler on an overcast day than the white truck is on a sunny day...
Old 11-12-2007, 02:35 AM

ya know, really I can argue every side of global warming, and provide mountains of evidence pointing that its a natural process, but its pointless.

For most of the public supporters of global warming, it has become their religion. there is no changing their mind. There is no proof that is possible to convince them otherwise. 20 years ago, we were headed for the next ice age. today, we are headed for the worlds oceans rising by 5 meters in the next 1000 years even tho there isn't enough water trapped in ice to increase the ocean depth by 2 meters.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
6,600,000,000 people (wikipedia)
1/3 tonne per person (http://www.firetop.co.uk/2006/11/15/...top-breathing/ )(google seach)
thats a billion tonnes of CO2 just from breathing humans.

the assumption has been that we are carbon neutral. we aren't we reduce plant matter for energy that we give off as additional heat, co2, and water vapor.
So extinction is the answer. What if we wipe all the animals off the planet, that should balance out since they won't be exhaling CO2
Old 11-12-2007, 03:29 AM
Chapter President

I heard a report the other day that said forests in Europe were contributing to global warming, After massive clear cutting the tree huggers forced the the loggers to replant (good business at any rate) now they are saying that the dark evergreens are like a giant heat absorber for the sun, and that the snow covered clear cuts are better because they reflect more sunlight and heat back out to space. CR-A-ZY!!!!!!!!! It has, become a religion. Not to mention a cash cow of epic proportions. What happened to common sense and rational thought???
Old 11-12-2007, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Tate
So extinction is the answer. What if we wipe all the animals off the planet, that should balance out since they won't be exhaling CO2
yes, if we were extinct, problem would be solved...

if the developing nations with 2 billion people were forced to hold OUR emmisions standards AND set a lower population density, it would help...
Old 11-12-2007, 04:23 AM

I have a few problems with all this global warming talk. I am not saying that it isn't at all possible or that I disagree that it could cause problems...But, everyone with an education that goes past ooo...3rd grade knows that over the few billion years that the earth has been around that it has gone through some very drastic weather changes. About 10,000 years ago was the last ice age, that killed about everything on the planet, right now we are considered to be in a part of the "hot house," This will change as thousands of years pass and eventually there should be another ice age. This cycle has gone on for hundreds of millions of years and without knowing all the facts about the earths weather from those time frames I find it hard to assume that a 2 degree change in temperate over that last 200 years is hardly anything to worry about whatsoever.
Other theories that I am more likely to believe that can cause a change in the earths weather deal with things such as the loss in gravitational pull from the moon, earth at one time had at least two moons and maybe more. The moon is what stabilizes the earth and over the past hundreds of millions of years it has lost some of its pull and the moon has actually moved away from the earth around 1/4 of an inch per year, I know that doesn't seem much, but over 10,000 years that is just under a half of a mile. Some think that do to this loss of gravitational pull that the axis of the earth has changed just enough to raise the temperate just a couple of degree's...Point of all this being is that there is NOT a 100% factual backing that global warming is caused just by the human/animal population, there are a lot more issues to look at...thats just my 2cents

Ohh, and Fronty, What is it that you do that keeps you up all hours of the night like me?
Old 11-12-2007, 04:46 AM

as much as a religion it is about $$$. all the networks of nbc are doing this crazy 'green' thing and nbc networks have given al gore dozens of hours of air time to spout off without any response from his detractors. why? because nbc is owned by ge who has made millions of $$$ from the global warming scare- wind farms, enviro-friendly light bulbs, enviro-friendly appliances, etc. no one in the major media would ever question the motives of anyone pushing the global warming cause- even if it was making them incredibly wealthy.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:48 AM

Oh yea, and why is it that that half wit Al Gore won the Nobel Peace Prize for an issue that pertains nothing at all to PEACE!!!!!!?????

I know that the averages say that more violent crimes are committed in warmer weather, but seriously it hasn't got that much warmer
Old 11-12-2007, 05:07 AM

If you tell people its warmer this year than last, they will believe you and use that as an excuse to be more violent...

Its so easy to sway people when it hot out that global warming is the cause.

Originally Posted by kevellis32
Ohh, and Fronty, What is it that you do that keeps you up all hours of the night like me?

all hours of the night??? It just got dark an hour or so ago... I have been here all day. they are rigging down so I took the day off..
Old 11-12-2007, 05:11 AM

where you workin at right now?
Old 11-12-2007, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by kevellis32
where you workin at right now?
Im in brunei for the rest of the week, then headed home for atleast a week. and possibly off to Norway...

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...4&postcount=89
Old 11-12-2007, 07:06 PM

Trying to predict what the planet will do is like standing at the end of a tunnel with a radar gun and clocking a CTD at 70 MPH and summarizing that it was going 70 all through the tunnel. Heck, we just came out of the 'little ice age' in the late 1700's. The warmest decade this century was in the 1930's. And I'm sure that all the cars, or clear cutting, or Algores house didn't contribute. I'm calling BS. Just heard the founder of The Weather Channel (he's a meterologist on KUSI in San Diego) on the Rush Limbaugh program on Friday. He even calls it BS. He says that in 20 years we won't be talking about global warming at all. I'm with him. Like was stated earlier in this post, in the 70's/80's they were talking about global cooling. It's whatever is newsworthy. Unfortunately we are all paying the price now. Increased emmisions standards. Higher fuel cost. Rediculous taxes. And while they talk about the shrinking ice caps in the north (and the devastating effects on the poor polar bears) they fail to mention that the Antartic ice cap is growing at an increased rate.

Quick Reply: Mmmm, global warming....