Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Mmmm, global warming....

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
global warming is just some hype that the liberal media made up to make the republicans look bad....al boore said it best in the inconvient truth where he took a movie and ruined it by bashing bush on the election.

so dont feel bad, its not real

brett

Come on, if Stephen Colbert can admit that global warming is real, surely you can too.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tate
Come on, if Stephen Colbert can admit that global warming is real, surely you can too.
im sure he was just making a joke...you silly canadians are so gullible

i have some ocean front property in arizona if your interested

brett
Old 11-09-2007, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
im sure he was just making a joke...you silly canadians are so gullible

i have some ocean front property in arizona if your interested

brett
You mean is ocean front after the global warming?
Old 11-10-2007, 12:05 AM
Chapter President

I favor the quote from Rusty Shakelfords alter ego, Dale Gribble, "Bring on global warming! We'll grow oranges in Alaska!!"
Old 11-10-2007, 12:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tate
o ya .... stephen colbert, now there's a trusted source of distinctly factual reporting!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Chapter President

I remember the global cooling thing when I was a kid. Had the whole country worked up about it. Figured I'd be living in an igloo or something.

The whole global warming thing? Well, I lean more towards the BS part of it but occasionally find myself thinking...hmmmm, all this pollution can't be doing any good, especially when sub-divisions are mowing down trees in record numbers. China and India driving some real smokers over there, although, I've seen some real POS's around here billowing smoke from the tailpipe and I'm not talking diesels with chips and injectors.

I think I'll stick to my thought, we don't know what the earth has done in the last billion years, we have theories from a bunch of people diggin' in the dirt. There is something going on with "Mother Earth" though, maybe it has something to do with the poles getting ready to do a flip flop? Or maybe the supermassive black hole in the center of the Milky Way is firing back up and gonna suck us in and crush us to til we are no more. Or maybe the global warmists are right and we're soon to run out of oil, the oceans will start to boil and all the fish and sea life will die. Our ice caps will melt, then anyone with a boat will be a good friend to have indeed.

Like I keep telling people, the earth is getting crowded, we need one of those good ol' global killing diseases to thin out the herd. Well, hate to sound so morbid, but it's true....yes, I know I may die.....well, have to go sometime right. My wife thinks I'm nuts to talk about death so casually, I guess I'm ready mentally. I'll do what I can to stick around for awhile longer though!!
Old 11-10-2007, 09:49 PM

The earth is getting overcrowded. There are some people who don't deserve to live, and there are some that do not need to reproduce. I have an aunt that had 4 kids each with a different father. Her two oldest are just pieces of crap, and the other two have yet to turn 16...so their fate remains to be seen. Also it'd help if the US would stop being so nice to convicts and giving them a nice place to stay for the rest of their lives.....

As far as global warming thing, I might not care so much years ago. But now I have a 3 month old son and whether GW is true or not I will do my part to help out. I recycle everything that can be recycled - not really for global warming but mainly because a lot of the stuff that can be recycled is stuff that we do not have an endless supply of. It really is not that hard to do your part....it's not like you're being asked to cut down sequoia with a pocket knife.....
Old 11-11-2007, 06:02 AM

just in case global warming is something we can control i run crazy larry whenever i can to speed up the process as i sure love summer and i'm tired of blocking and splitting firewood!
Old 11-11-2007, 08:03 AM

Then move to south Texas.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:27 PM

I hate to be the devils advocate here:

Global warming is true. I was like most of yall and didnt really care. and Seriously i still dont care. But it is true.
I am in the Coast Guard and stationed on the Science Research Coast Guard Ice Breaker. We spend about 6-7 months in the polar caps doing research. Not the coast guard, but the civilian scientist. Over the past 10 years, the polar ice caps have melted 60%.
Now that hype that if the ice caps melt, The world will be underwater like in Waterworld is completely BS.
The earth is in the process of switching polarizations right now. Within the next 10,000 years or so the North pole will be south and the south pole will be north. This is also contributing to the melting polar caps.

I know, i sound like a geek and all, but when I am underway for 6 months at a time, i talk with some of these (seriously) rocket scienctist. They have shown me the data and all that junk. It makes sense when you look at it.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:43 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I'd like to contribute a little from this side of the pond- in the 80s there was the "Waldsterben"- forests dieing due to pollution. Everybody was quite concerned since the extrapolations showed that we are in for a lot of dead woods, mountains being bared etc. A lot of time, cash and effort was invested to reduce the sulfur emissions (as key players in the "Waldsterben" and some time later it was found out that a lot of the data about it was wrong and there were mathemathical problems in the predictions.
But since it was also found out by independend studies that the rate of lung cancer and a lot of other very bad diseases had dramatically dropped since those emissions were reduced I think it was a good thing to do.
I think that the discussion about global warming will not lead to more than a lot of hot air being emitted by it's participants. Reducing waste and emissions, acting careful with resources etc is always a good thing.

AlpineRAM
Old 11-11-2007, 04:14 PM

I like the fact that our winters have seemed to be warmer overall than when I was a kid where it was bone cold from nov to almost the end of April. The last several winters we have seen maybe one or two months of annoyingly cold weather, but for the most part the weather was pretty tolerable. But make no mistake, the earth is changing and it may not really be for the better, so if we are contributing to the change or not why not do what we can to at least delay it....
I also don't buy the fact that sea levels would rise 20 feet with a certain % of polar ice cap melt. Since the earth is over 2/3 water, there's a vast area to disperse the ice that melts.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:30 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

ya know...

We might just be contributing to climate change.

think about it, each person just breathing is exhaling CO2
generating about as much heat as a 100 watt light bulb (on average)
and there are how many of us?
Every city/town/community/wide spot in the road around the world has enough street lights to make it appear to be day time at midnight.
Now when it comes to pollution, just about every engine on this side of the planet blows black or blue smoke.
Every day look around and there are several brush piles being burned on the edges of town.
the ditches are mowed with weed eaters and are kept short (see the dirt short)
Every shop here has an air conditioner that blows a "cool curtain" at the front to keep the shops comfortable.
My hotel is AC is set to 20C and I have single pane windows. and its keeping up with the 35C it is outside.

The only people that are concerned about global warming is the western first world countries. the rest of the world either doesn't know or doesn't care.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:42 PM

Breathing isn't effecting global warming like you think. We breathe in oxygen created by plants, plants absorb C02. It's the reduction of plants and the burning of fossil fuels that increases our overall all co2.

The best way I can explain it is that before burning fossil fuels they have no effect on the overall total of o2 and co2. They're "inert". After burning them, they increase the overall total for co2.

Maybe someone better versed in geology and the green house gas effect can explain it better.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:17 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

6,600,000,000 people (wikipedia)
1/3 tonne per person (http://www.firetop.co.uk/2006/11/15/...top-breathing/ )(google seach)
thats a billion tonnes of CO2 just from breathing humans.

the assumption has been that we are carbon neutral. we aren't we reduce plant matter for energy that we give off as additional heat, co2, and water vapor.

Quick Reply: Mmmm, global warming....