Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

miracles in the modern church?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 06:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
miracles in the modern church?

anyone else seeing these?

i posted months ago about country music being alot about drinking & stuff,

but lately, it's about what's written in black, white, and red.

notice lot of songs about guys being church on sunday. preacher keeps saying country is in a revival, are other folks seeing that?

our little church is growing fast, and folks we pray for as a group are being healed.

let's hear what some other folks are experiencing, and i'll post up what happened to me today, if it's okay with the forum/leadership?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 04ctd

notice lot of songs about guys being church on sunday. preacher keeps saying country is in a revival, are other folks seeing that?

our little church is growing fast, and folks we pray for as a group are being healed.

let's hear what some other folks are experiencing, and i'll post up what happened to me today, if it's okay with the forum/leadership?

i agree with you. i've fallen away from worship and now i have a void where the lord used to fill. when you enter a combat zone, you find the lord very quickly. I've seen chaplain's read the last rights to marines dyeing of wounds and it is the most heart wrenching experience. it's kind of confusing be taught to kill other human beings, but at the same time be a good christian. i hope i will get back into the church, because i felt i was hole when i was in worship.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:36 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by marine4life
i agree with you. i've fallen away from worship and now i have a void where the lord used to fill. when you enter a combat zone, you find the lord very quickly. I've seen chaplain's read the last rights to marines dyeing of wounds and it is the most heart wrenching experience. it's kind of confusing be taught to kill other human beings, but at the same time be a good christian. i hope i will get back into the church, because i felt i was hole when i was in worship.
I've always understood that where two or more get together and talk about it, it's church.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never found a church I could stand; it usually depends more on the pastor than the denomination. Most sermons I've heard send the message of "how to get to heaven", or "what to do to get to heaven", or "what you should do to win favor with God", or "what God wants you to do". All of which miss the point; if you are living for a profit, then even if what you're trying to accomplish is reaching heaven or pleasing God, you're not getting the message. God teaches us to live because of love, not for self-sacrifice or service to God. When Jesus died on the cross he gave the gift of love to humanity; that gift freed humanity from living in order to find security, and gave every human everything he would ever need to be secure; in my view, church should be about teaching respect for that love, not explaining why you should stop sinning so that you can go to heaven after you die.

Maybe I should start a cult with Geico, BigBlue and Wannadiesel. What ya'll say?
Old 04-03-2006, 08:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 04ctd

I don't put much stock in people or songs that mention "church" for the simple reason that they probaly sing songs about drinking also. I will agree that some churches may be in a revival to some extent, but I also know what the Bible says, Gen 6:3 My spirit shall not always strive with man, with that said america is turning away from God, after 911 you would see people praying and singing hyms on tv, now these same people have turned their backs on God and kicked him out of school, courtrooms,etc.... they have no need for God now..Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock: if any hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him and sup with him and he with me. God is on the outside trying to get in because america has kicked Him out! If you will study Rev chapters 1-3 you will find the description of seven churches that were present at one time, but spiritually we are in the last church age Rev 3:14-22 the curch of laodicea, which means "the rights of the people", this is where america is at today. To your second statement , yes God does heal in many ways, and people that do truly pray as a group will see people healed,James 5:14-15 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church;and let them pray over him, anointing him wit oil in the name of the Lord: v15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he has committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.Jesus did not just die for our sins, He also died for our healing Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities:the chastiesment for ou peace was upon him;and with his stripes we are healed. Sorry this is so long , if you want you can pm me.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:52 PM

That song Believe by Brooks&Dunn is a wonderful song.

Its a shame that the religious faith in the country is growing so greatly but we cant even talk of things that may involve it like Merry Christmas, The pledge in schools, the ten comandments and so on. Seems like every week they take another one from us. so sad.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:20 PM

good posts.

FWIW, we had a good service last night, end up, all got up, held hands and just prayed a simple prayer for God to answer a prayer and help us with WHATEVER problem was on our mind.

well, my tranny has been funk-a-tated, it slipped & stumbled in first gear, just really horrible, been that way for a long time (year or so) just getting worse.

did not have money to take it in last week (renter moved out of other house)

took it in this monday, the dealer said "it was low on fluid" and put some fluid in, and that fixed it. it runs great. i got a big smoky sideways on the way home (i like my BDDLPP). i had just serviced it in August, and had checked it awhile back. no leaks.

but anyways, a local guy tole me $5k for a tranny,
PM'ed a bunch of guys, was looking $3k or so to get one other ways.

this was REALLY worrying me, with the tenant getting ready to move out.

it was just a prayer answered, a miracle if you will
Old 04-04-2006, 05:33 AM

what about folks getting out of wheelchairs (lady had been in it a year)
and ladies getting cured of cancer (had 3 cases of that)

anything like that?

How's Dusty & Nancy doing? our church prayed for them, lifted them up by name in prayer.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:14 AM

I think that one reason this country is getting away from religion is because it's not "cool". Another is fanatical christians that kill abortion doctors because "god told them to". Stuff like that is what is making people turn away from religion. I saw a ladie stand on the corner of my college campus, basically the busiest intersection in town, holding a picture of an aborted fetus. That kind of thing is rediculous. People need to learn not to push their beliefs on other people. Just because you think abortion should be illegal doesn't mean anybody else does. This town also thinks that having alcohol being sold in town "is the fist step to the downfall of society". Nobody seems to care that there is a strip club in the middle of town. For a long time they wouldn't allow Hooters to come here because it is an "ammoral" business. Dumb people suck.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
. . . . . fanatical christians that kill abortion doctors because "god told them to".
Abortion doctor killers are NOT pro-life. They are simply exercising their right to be pro-choice, just like that doctor - i.e. they kill another human being to solve what they perceive to be a problem.

Don't blame the religion for the actions of the fringe fanatics.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
Abortion doctor killers are NOT pro-life. They are simply exercising their right to be pro-choice, just like that doctor - i.e. they kill another human being to solve what they perceive to be a problem.

Don't blame the religion for the actions of the fringe fanatics.
I'm not and diddn't mean to imply that. I just said that they shouldn't use religion as an excuse to kill someone. True religion doesn't tell you to kill anyone. I've always said "how can they be pro-life if they are killing people" kinda seemed backward to me. I have no stance either way. People just need to think. I'm sorry.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:18 AM

The churches are growing around here too! The best "Church" I have ever been to was one with just my brother and a friend of ours...we had a Bible study of sorts and we just talked and listened to Christian music..it really got to me a lot more than a pastors sermon would and I will never forget it
Old 04-04-2006, 11:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe that miracles can/are happening in the modern church. Just as we're told that "in the last days, I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh, your young men shall see visions, your old men will dream dreams" etc etc... (sorry if I misquoted the verse).

I think that organized denominations are on the way, and inter-/non denominational teachings are leading the revival.

People are realizing that the devisiveness and parochialism of sectarianism hurts us all more than helps, and it's rooted in self-righteousness many times.

The "Church" is realizing that sometimes things in the Bible just aren't crystal clear, and you have to trust that the Spirit will reveal to you (as promised) what God wants you to glean from the Scriptures.

I'm hesitant to say that there is a "revival" going on in country music. In many parts of the US, going to church is more of a cultural thing than a spiritual thing. People do it because they were taught to, and it's expected.

As a result many CLAIM to believe (and even go to church) while living like there's no faith at all.

Guess which one counts, words or deeds??
Old 04-04-2006, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN
I believe that miracles can/are happening in the modern church. Just as we're told that "in the last days, I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh, your young men shall see visions, your old men will dream dreams" etc etc... (sorry if I misquoted the verse).

I think that organized denominations are on the way, and inter-/non denominational teachings are leading the revival.

People are realizing that the devisiveness and parochialism of sectarianism hurts us all more than helps, and it's rooted in self-righteousness many times.

The "Church" is realizing that sometimes things in the Bible just aren't crystal clear, and you have to trust that the Spirit will reveal to you (as promised) what God wants you to glean from the Scriptures.

I'm hesitant to say that there is a "revival" going on in country music. In many parts of the US, going to church is more of a cultural thing than a spiritual thing. People do it because they were taught to, and it's expected.

As a result many CLAIM to believe (and even go to church) while living like there's no faith at all.

Guess which one counts, words or deeds??
The church I go to has the best pastor I've ever heard. it is 200mi away now and it makes it hard to find a church that compares. Oh well I look at it as a good thing. My pastor is THAT good.