Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Milestone 1st Steps

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010 | 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Milestone 1st Steps

Well today is a GREAT DAY!!!!!

I have been bedridden since 1 week after Thanksgiving after blowing both knees out and pinching 3 nerves in my back at the same time. I went to a chiropractor immediately and was able to rectify the pinched nerves, but my knees felt like I was walking on crushed glass while I hobbled on crutches. Got my surgery scheduled after the 1st of the year and WOOHOOO!!! Pain completely disappeared IMMEDIATELY. Lack of walking for 2 months led to muscle and tendon atrophy which still left me unable to walk. Started physical therapy 1 week after surgery and today, after much stretching and exercise, was able to take my 1st real steps, with the aid of crutches.

I feel like a kid who has taken his 1st steps. I guess tommorrow, I'll go into the kitchen and raid the cabinet underneath the kitchen sink and see what kind of chemical cocktail I can create. I hear a plastic drink bottle, a little bit of aluminum foil, and Clean-up makes for a pretty good party popper.

I just had to spout my elation over my newfound mobility.

If you have ever blown your knees out as a younger person, never had them checked and periodically have knee pain, go get them checked and scoped if needed. I was totally amazed at how the pain just vanished.

Gary
Old 02-05-2010 | 06:23 PM

Awesome news sounds like your making a speedy recovery..
Old 02-06-2010 | 03:04 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Glad to hear it.
Old 02-06-2010 | 03:15 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Having both knees gone and add back problems...I know that that would/did really impair the ability to use the facilities. The mind will help you even more now to get moving.

Congrats on the ability to get up and go.

Scotty
Old 02-07-2010 | 11:34 AM

Scotty,

YOU HAVE BEEN THERE!!!!! The use of the porcelain chair definitely was a situation that used some creative thinking. I found that our computer chair (on wheels) was the perfect height to allow me to transfer my hind end to the seat with minimal difficulty. Now that I am vertical, the bending action of my knees leaves me about 4" above the seat, so I land in a kerplunk on the throne. I can already tell that I am gonna hve to change out the wax ring once I get full mobility.

Oh well, small price to pay to not have to use a bedpan.....LOLOL

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement!

Gary
Old 02-07-2010 | 12:47 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Congratulations. Next step, getting rid of the diaper.
Never had my knees out, but for a while had both arms in casts and in traction on one arm, so to some extent understand what you have been thru. It ain't no picnic and once you can get mobile on you own is indeed fantastic first steps.
Old 02-08-2010 | 08:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scuzman00
Scotty,

YOU HAVE BEEN THERE!!!!! The use of the porcelain chair definitely was a situation that used some creative thinking. I found that our computer chair (on wheels) was the perfect height to allow me to transfer my hind end to the seat with minimal difficulty. Now that I am vertical, the bending action of my knees leaves me about 4" above the seat, so I land in a kerplunk on the throne. I can already tell that I am gonna hve to change out the wax ring once I get full mobility.

Oh well, small price to pay to not have to use a bedpan.....LOLOL

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement!

Gary

A friend who is a doctor said he always knows he did the surgery right when the patient can get up and go to the bathroom. Two reason, one, it means everything is working right and two, it really helps the morale of the patient. I've got chronic back problems and I know how bad it can hurt. When my own doctor asked me how bad it hurt, I told him that when it's really hurting and I can take the strain off to get relief, it feels better than sexual climax. Now THAT is pain! My knees give me fits at times but so far, I'm still on original equipment. Now you just need to get to the liquor cabinet. You need to add something to the coffee after all.
Old 02-08-2010 | 12:25 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
Congratulations. Next step, getting rid of the diaper.
Never had my knees out, but for a while had both arms in casts and in traction on one arm, so to some extent understand what you have been thru. It ain't no picnic and once you can get mobile on you own is indeed fantastic first steps.
sorry Stan, I just started laughing wondering how you managed after a visit to the throne. The visual of a grown man struggling with two arms in casts...not bending, trying to reach...well you know the rest.

Yes I have been there...a few times.
The one that actually became the funniest was with my last knee scope. It was the 'other' knee this time so when I went into the reading room, I never gave much thought to sitting down...whoops. My right leg got jammed into the corner of the bath tub and the wall, I keeled over and snapped the splint as I crash landed in between the toilet and the wall.
Good thing I was still heavily medicated. My wife and daughter heard the loud crash and came running to hear me giggling and saying..."I've fallen and I can't get up." there was a commercial for some kind of medical alert thing that the actor was saying this. I kept saying it over and over while we all laughed...until I got back upright and tried again...

Scotty