Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Midland C B Question (s) ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 05:36 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Question Midland C B Question (s) ???

At a recent swap-meet, I got two like-new Midland 23-channel C.B.s; I gave $3 for both, believe it or not.

The guy said he had been trying to sell them for several years, but nobody wanted them on account of they weren't 40-channel.

I didn't see that as a problem, as every C.B. I have never moves off channel-19, and I intend these for some of my "extra" vehicles, maybe even fixing one up with a lighter-plug and magnetic-mount antenna, so that I can use it in vehicles that are not properly equipped.

QUESTIONS

I did not get the three-pin plug-connections/pigtails.

Looking at the back, there are three pins, one on the left side, with a slight space, then two closer together on the right side.

No doubt, one of these pins is the GROUND; and, I assume the remaining two pins connect to one HOT wire in the pigtail, or is it the other way ??

Does anyone know which is GROUND and which is HOT ??

Now for the controls.

There is a red lens that is labeled "ANT WARNING"; what is wrong when it lights up??

A switch is labeled "NB"; I assume this means "noise blocker", right ??

Another switch is labeled "ANL"; what is ANL ??

A **** is labeled "DELTA TUNE"; what does it do ??

One radio is Model 13-857B and has a front mic.

The other is Model 13-882C and has side mic.

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couldnt find much on the 857B. Here is a owners manual and schematic for the 882C.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/midla...13_882c_om.pdf

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/midla...82c_om_sch.pdf
Old 11-09-2008, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless Im wrong, the red AWL light is a antenna warning light and will come on when there is something wrong with the antenna.
Iv got a couple of old Radio Shack cb s with the same light.

Radio Shack may have the power cord for your units.
Or try a truck stop. THey may have what your looking for.
If not, do a search for cb. There may be a vendor that would carry them.

After looking at the schematic provided by the previous poster, I would say that the pin on the right side, the single pin is the power pin. The ground is the one on the left. I have no idea what the other pin is for.
I have a couple of Cobras with the same pin setup.

THe "nb" is a noise blanker and supposedly helps block excess noise in the receiver.

The "anl" , i believe, does the same thing as the 'nb".

As for the Delta Tune, I believe it helped with the mike modulation and made it slightly stronger when transmitting.

I used to have a Midland years ago and they were good radios.
Hope this helps you.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I think you will find the power cords without much problem. I like your thinking that you don't use all those higher channels anyway. I just put a Midland in my truck because the old Cobra 29 was blowing the 20 amp fuse. I don't want to hijack your thread so I am going to post another thread on this to try and trouble shoot.

I'll have a look at my 40Ch Midland...I think it uses the same power cord you are needing...will post later on.

Scotty
Old 11-09-2008, 10:23 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty
I'll have a look at my 40Ch Midland...I think it uses the same power cord you are needing...will post later on.

Scotty

If it is no great trouble, compare your Cobra and Midland plugs for compatability; who knows, the pigtails may be interchangable.

Thanks everyone for the input and info, and thanks spitfire for the link to the manual as it helped my understanding a lot.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The red warning light is in case your swr's are to high, which will result in a burnt up radio. The older 23 channel radio's can be peaked pretty easily, you can bring them from 3-4 watts, up to 8-10 watts reliably. Any cb shop can peak it out for you.

Tim
Old 11-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
If it is no great trouble, compare your Cobra and Midland plugs for compatability; who knows, the pigtails may be interchangable.

Thanks everyone for the input and info, and thanks spitfire for the link to the manual as it helped my understanding a lot.
The Midland I have is hard wired, no plug and the Cobra has the plug...very similar to what you have described on your first post. I was surprised to see that this Midland did not have the plug...I got it mixed up in the brain pan with the Cobra. I think you might have good luck at a truck stop...just take the radio in with you.

Scotty