Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Mescalero Elk Hunt

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definiton of luck: Where prepration and opporunity meet, but not always at the same time. I'll take luck anyday.

Here's a couple of vids of the guy who put my gun together and also uses the exbal ballistics program. If your ever in S. texas and you want to learn how to shoot, drop me a line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzlU7UMxnJo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf18f...eature=related

the best i've done is a 12x14 steel plate at 750 yds on my 2nd shot.

but hey your a pro. kudos to you.

Heres my pea shooter. Outta here.
Attached Thumbnails Mescalero Elk Hunt-img_0081_edited.jpg  
Old 11-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's what is wrong today.....people would rather be lucky than good. A shame.......good luck on your next hunt. Unless your system takes in the angle of incline, you used a bogus distance to figure your MOA adjustment.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Banned

Like a stated in an earlier post, exball takes cosine/degree of angle into consideration. There is only a .25 moa difference form flat ground to 15*. At that distance would probobly be 4".

So I'll take credit for a good shot.

thank you very much for your uplifting comments and your **** personality.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by annabelle
That's what is wrong today.....people would rather be lucky than good. A shame.......good luck on your next hunt. Unless your system takes in the angle of incline, you used a bogus distance to figure your MOA adjustment.
So are you claiming to be good and not lucky???????? Well then hell i need to meet you!!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Banned

It amazes me how you guys wear your egos on your sleeves. I don't care were your computer programs tell you to aim if you give the program the wrong information. Why can't you accept some constructive knowledge for you to incorparate in your next hunt? The laws of physics don't change just because you plug in an incorrect distance. So yes, it might be helpful for you to meet someone you obviously knows more about bullet trajectory than you.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:47 PM

So in one post you tell him to use the horizontal distance and in another post you say you hope the system calculates the incline.

Regardless, it looks like the dead animal in the truck shows it was done right.

Sounds like you are the one thats confused Annabelle...
Old 11-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Banned

You would use the incline to calculate the horizontal distance, as the horizontal distance would be impossibe to measure. I've seen too many wounded animals by people who have not made a lucky shot and did not know what they are doing.......So fortunately he got lucky. The fact that he has a cow in the back of his P/U has nothing to do with him being right.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:31 PM

You would use the ilcline to calculate the horizontal disyace, as the horizontal distace would be impossibe to measure. I've seen too many wounded animals by people who have not made a lucky shot and did not know what they are doing.......So fortunately he got lucky. The fact that he has a cow in the back of his P/U has nothing to do with him being right.
Thats there problem, obviously they are not doing what he is doing.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Banned

Please explain.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Banned

Lets see. 550 yard shot. Dead animal.

I dont see a whole lot of hunters sending lead at that distance and hitting about 10" right of exactly where I was aiming. My windage was off some I admit. My distance estimation and elevation were on.

You can call me lucky, I dont care. It just shows me how much you dont know about what I am doing. I am using the same program that Shawn Carlock (if you dont know this guy just google him)uses in his trainig and his hunting situations.

There is always the possibilty for human error in any situation. When I need any of your advice I'll drop you an PM. Which I doubt will ever happen.

There were 3 other guys with me when I made that shot and all three told me "Good Shot!". you weren't there and you say lucky. You can **** on some peoples parades with your sarcasm, but not mine.

end of conversation for me.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Banned

I am happy you had a successful hunt. I don't know what you are doing? I've only put 30 plus bulls into my P/U's. I'm just trying to point out that you may not be as "lucky" with your shot on your next hunt if you don't use the proper distance. I suggest you buy a physics and geometry book to figure out what you are doing. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:48 PM

Sounds like you are the one thats confused Annabelle...[/quote]

Confused is not the right words for guys like this. Know it all while knowing very little with a big keyboard in most cases. trying to give someone a hard time about making a good shoot. instead of letting someone be happy and feel good. guys like you are on every forum that just have to start something. Maybe you do know more about bullet trajectory than me hell it wouldn't take much.
hell i would like to know what a MOA is ya'll are talking about?????
but i do know i dont have to go give a guy a hard time behind a key board about something to try and show off about what a guy has done to try and make him fill bad to make my self fill good in front of my key board.

If you know so much why don't you share with every body how you would have made that shot. The animal is ranged at 540yrd with a up hill angel there you go.

we could all stand to learn from each other. its better to help than be a know it all that just comes on forums to start stuff and give people a hard time.

so i'll ask you again how would you make a shot like that and what would you use and how would you use it rifle,bullet,range finder??? hell it sounds like fun to me

That was a good shot no matter who likes it are how it was done. one shot one dead elk good job.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Banned

Actually,an article by oilfield trash's own guru states that he wants to know if the shot is uphill or down hill. He determines this by using an angle indicator(amount of incline or decline) on his rifle. I'm not confused at all.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:03 PM

Actually,an article by oilfield trash's own guru states that he wants to know if the shot is uphill or down hill. He determines this by using an angle indicator(amount of incline or decline) on his rifle. I'm not confused at all.
I'm not getting it. so how would you go about a shot out there something like OT did that's a long a$$ ways out there????
Old 11-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Banned

It's like calculating the distances of the sides of a triangle. Simple geometry actually. In oil-trashes case he did use the angle of incline measurement by using the correct cosine. He just didn't understand(nor did I) what it was for. Therefore, he did use the correct elevation, and made a nice shot.

Quick Reply: Mescalero Elk Hunt