Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Member's Stolen Truck Recovered!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Possible lead?

I was looking through the local "Thrifty Nickel" want-ad paper here in Yakima Wa. (not too far from Tacoma) and found an add for a stock set of 4 aluminum rims w/ Toyo radials w/ approx. 50% tread. Just a thought, but if this describes your tires, this could be a lead. Glenn Denman.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:45 AM

Re:Member's Stolen Truck Recovered!

Probably not his tires/rims......he had 9.00r16 michelin XZL's Good thought though.....
Old 12-08-2003, 02:05 PM

This is why all companies need on star. Man you could call them and they could find it in a jiffy. Glad you got it back. Hope things work out for you. Now you can breath.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:28 PM

I for one can say On star is not as good as advertised. You have to pay extra for the service they advertise. The only thing included, usually, is the ability to unlock your doors. The tracking part is overrated as is the alarm activation. Case in point: My friend has a 2002 TrailBlazer with On-Star. While on vacation this year, his Trailblazer was broken into at Nascar SpeedPark parking lot in Pigeon Forge TN. Only the theft attempt was interrupted and all they got were the interior goodies; digital camera and accerssories, cell phone, most everything not bolted down. When we returned to see the vehicle had been broken into, he immediately called onstar. They said they had detected no alarm and they refused to call 911 because that service was not included with his On Star subscription...imagine that...no cell phone...no On Star help. Piece of crap in my opinion. As for the Police of Pigeon Forge, no help, nice people but no help.

I am glad you got your truck back, sorry you lost all your stuff. When my friends Trialblazer was broken into my Ram keys were stolen, along with my house keys. Needless to say it feels horrible. I hope you catch them and the Police help out. Reminds me of a movie "Walkin Tall".....sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Tim
Old 12-08-2003, 10:09 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Congrats. I hope it works out.
The bumper sounds like a beauty. Looks great in the picture too.
Dave
Old 12-09-2003, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad you got it back, I had one stolen in 1991 and the guy was caught and he only got thirty days. (second offence) and he was not a young offender.I don't know how it works in the States but in Canada we are to easy on these guys. I think we should start hanging them like they use to do with horse thieves. At least there would'nt be any second offenders.
Jim O
Old 12-09-2003, 10:54 PM

Well I finally got to see the damage today. The interior is gutted. The body is ok. The engine is toast, I started it up and it took a good 10 seconds to build any oil pressure and it has a nasty rod knock. There is quite a bit of diesel/oil coming out of the tailpipe, actually dripping on the ground, and it of course smokes really bad. It just makes me sick. What a waste, that engine didn't burn a drop of oil between oil changes! I have done oil samples on it because I thought maybe I was getting a bit of fuel in the oil because of the fact that it didn't burn any oil and it had 140,000 on it! It's bad enough that someone has to steal it and take the tires and canopy and whatever, but why destroy a perfectly good engine! I checked blue book on the truck and its around $9000, so I imagine the insurance will total the truck if it needs an engine and all the interior. Does anybody know how this works? what about my bumper and lift kit will I have to buy the truck back to get those items even though my insurance wasn't going to cover them if they were stolen?

DJ
Old 12-10-2003, 01:26 AM

Man that's just sick, to have someone destroy your pride and joy like that. I really hope the guy can be caught but not likely, and even if they did he won't get what he deserves :-[

I've never had anything like this happen so I'm afraid I'm not much good at making suggestions on insurance and such
Hope things work out so you can get another truck, and rig it up to make it theft proof!

Vaughn
Old 12-10-2003, 05:24 AM

as far as i know the bumper and lift kit are yours(the whole truck for that matter) remove it if you want to. the way its worked for me in the past on hitches etc, after to total loss due to hail
Old 12-10-2003, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Depending on the insurance company, you might have to let them total it, then buy it back from them as a salvage vehicle.

Take everything you want off it, and drop it at a junkyard.

The insurance company might let you take off all the aftermarket stuff you want before they total it.

Best thing is call your agent and hope for the best.

I've used neighbors or friends of friends as insurance agents since I could drive, hopeing it resulted in a more personable claim at some point in the future.
Knock on Wood, I haven't had to test that yet.

phox
Old 12-10-2003, 01:42 PM

My condolences. :'( I hope you can turn this into something good.

Kill switches are looking better & better every day...
Old 12-10-2003, 01:43 PM

MAn that stinks. My buddy got to grab what he wanted off the truck then they sent it to a junk yard. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:26 PM

Good ole TaCompton, WA...I mean Tacoma, WA. > > Car theft capital of the world. # 7 in the nation, I believe. If they find that guy, give me a shout, and I'll nail the SOB to a tree by his private parts using a rusty nail! > >
If I ever caught somebody messing with my truck, I would be sitting in jail charged with first degree murder...

I hope everything works out for you my brother...
Old 12-10-2003, 11:54 PM

[quote author=LongBlackRam link=board=3;threadid=23338;start=15#msg221517 date=1071085335]
My condolences. :'( I hope you can turn this into something good.

Kill switches are looking better & better every day...
[/quote]

I agree.....Im starting to think everyone should have a hidden kill switch.

Has anyone seen or used this:

http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/immobilizer1.htm

xzlram, I hope everything works out for ya.....have you had a mechanic look at it??? may be worth exploring...
Old 12-11-2003, 01:36 AM

Sorry to hear about your Ram. I have never had a vehicle stolen. Years ago I interrupted a guy trying to steal my car. I was in the processes of pounding on the SOB and didn't notice his buddy swinging at me with a 2x4 ' '. After I gathered enough marbles to get off the ground, they were driving away. I did manage to rip the plate off their car before they got out of the parking lot. Of course the cops didn't do anything even though I had their plate! They didn't officially do anything but vadalize my car since they didn't actually steal anything or move it. It has to acutally be moved to be considered theft.

I also had a couple of my vehicles broken into to steal various stereos I had in the past. Just makes you sick every time it happens.

I worked for a couple of years while in college installing car stereo's and alarms systems. There were a couple things I learned from those days as advice to others.... An alarm can only protect the contents of your vehicle in a very limited capacity. If you get an alarm installed, at least get a microwave motion detection add on. That way when they break the window, it will still go off if they try to stick their arm in. The best way to prevent your vehicle from getting stolen is an anonymous kill switch that you install. Something that either kills power to the PCM or fuel pump. Don't assume anything you add to your truck is covered by you insurance. Most non-OEM stuff needs a policy add-on to be covered. I don't know how many people would come to me after their car was broken into shocked that the insurance company didn't cover the 10K worth of equipment they had installed. Lastly, and best wisdom I have is if they want it bad enough, they'll get it. Have good insurance. I installed a keyed brake line lock on a guys Porche 928. The thieves just hooked up a winch and dragged it on a flat bed with 5 people watching in a mall parking lot. Alarm going off and all. By the time the guy got out of the mall (alarm paged him) his car was gone.

Good luck DJ, I hope the insurance company gives you a fair price for your truck. What sucks is they can never replace the time stolen that you invested in your rig. I guess that is what separates us that choose to create from those that wish to destroy .

-Muzzy

Quick Reply: Member's Stolen Truck Recovered!