Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Man's Best Friend...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with GO 4LO it's the owners that give the breeds a bad rap. It's not bad dogs, it's bad dog owners. Pit Bulls as an example.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:00 AM

Finally have a pic of my buddy on my computer. He's chillin with my little bro watching cartoons. Name is Dom (short for Domino) no not the kid, he's Dylan. Dylans watching him for me while I'm at school!!

PS if you didn't notice there is a 16.5 year difference between me and my little bro.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by berner
Here's my new boy. He's a registered Caucasian Ovcharka. They're bred to be flock guard dogs in the Caucasus Mountains in Russia. They grow to be 130-150 lbs. He's one month old in the pic. We get him next weekend. Haven't pick out a name yet. Maybe Boris, Yuri or Luka.
Updated Pics:

At 3 months:

At 4 months:

We ended up calling him Arii. It's a Russian surname meaning "lion". He's about 50 lbs. I've got no idea what color he'll end up. He went really light for a while and now is turning grey with a black tinge. The breeder says they can change color until 2 years old. She figures he'll be an average size, around the 130-140 lb mark.
He's a busy lil goober, smart and very "determined". Never a dull moment around our house.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:08 AM

They grow up fast! He is a great looking dog. We had no idea our lab would be such a monster when we got him:

8-9 weeks old and 12lbs:

Approx. 6 months old and 70lbs:

Just under 10 months and 100lbs:

Just over 18 months and 130lbs+:
Old 12-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Careful now...you don't want to let that big fella get too fat.

Our female lab has always been tall and lean and she has always weighed between 75-78 pounds. She's a smart girl. One of the best dogs I've ever had.

Our Pyr usually runs around 115-120 in the summer and around 125 or so in the winter. He's either really dumb or he's so smart that he's got me fooled into thinking he's really dumb so that I won't expect much from him, but overall he's a good and loyal dog...and a very protective one.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:26 AM

Wow. That's one monster Lab you got there. My sis has 2 but they're no where near that big.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:49 AM

Updated Pics:

We ended up calling him Arii. It's a Russian surname meaning "lion". He's about 50 lbs. I've got no idea what color he'll end up. He went really light for a while and now is turning grey with a black tinge. The breeder says they can change color until 2 years old. She figures he'll be an average size, around the 130-140 lb mark.
He's a busy lil goober, smart and very "determined". Never a dull moment around our house.
I love CO's . Awesome-looking dog you have there, and perfect name!!

Updated pics of my Neo pup (7 mos, ~105lbs):

http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/GO_4LO2/

Chris
Old 12-06-2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by GO 4LO
I love CO's . Awesome-looking dog you have there, and perfect name!!

Updated pics of my Neo pup (7 mos, ~105lbs):

http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/GO_4LO2/

Chris
Thats a nice looking neo you got there. Did you get his ears cropped or were they like that when you got him?
Old 12-06-2006, 02:01 PM

Thanks! Breeder docked his tail at 3 days. Picked him up at the airport at 9 weeks. Got the ears cropped by a local vet at 12 weeks. It's really hard to find vets that still do earcrops anymore. I'd say ~5% of vets in my area do it...

I do love how they turned out though. I took in pics of how I wanted them, and she cut them perfect. Couldn't be more pleased.

Chris
Old 12-06-2006, 03:12 PM

Very impressive looking Neo. I may have to get me one of those someday.

They cropped Arii's ears at 2 or 3 days old. I'm glad they're hairy because it looks like they were done with a butter knife. I guess they don't do it for looks, but to give a wolf or coyote less to grab on to.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by GO 4LO
Thanks! Breeder docked his tail at 3 days. Picked him up at the airport at 9 weeks. Got the ears cropped by a local vet at 12 weeks. It's really hard to find vets that still do earcrops anymore. I'd say ~5% of vets in my area do it...

I do love how they turned out though. I took in pics of how I wanted them, and she cut them perfect. Couldn't be more pleased.

Chris
yea, my rott had his tail cropped at about 3 or 4 days, I prefer the short crop (no tail). I'd really like to have a Tibetan mastiff, but I don't think they are easy to find...
Old 12-06-2006, 03:37 PM

[QUOTE=Hoss;1238960]Careful now...you don't want to let that big fella get too fat.

Our female lab has always been tall and lean and she has always weighed between 75-78 pounds. She's a smart girl. One of the best dogs I've ever had.

Our Pyr usually runs around 115-120 in the summer and around 125 or so in the winter. He's either really dumb or he's so smart that he's got me fooled into thinking he's really dumb so that I won't expect much from him, but overall he's a good and loyal dog...and a very protective one.

We cut his food back a little since the last photo. 1 less cup per day and the only treats are small puppy size treats. He gets 4 cups/day of Nutro large breed now and I think he has thinned out a little. He is very good at begging for handouts. I try to get him out and do some retrieving everyday.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:44 PM

They cropped Arii's ears at 2 or 3 days old. I'm glad they're hairy because it looks like they were done with a butter knife. I guess they don't do it for looks, but to give a wolf or coyote less to grab on to.
Wow, so is he from working stock then? That's even better. From the pics, the ears look great. They'll look a lot smaller once that head broadens another 6", though! haha

Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
yea, my rott had his tail cropped at about 3 or 4 days, I prefer the short crop (no tail). I'd really like to have a Tibetan mastiff, but I don't think they are easy to find...
I like the Tibetans, too. My only problem with them is just the sheer amount of variation from one breeder to another.

If I were going to get a longer-haired breed, I'd probably go with either a CO or a Komondor (always loved those, too!).

Chris
Old 12-30-2006, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just brought "Turbo" home this afternoon (12/30/06).
So far, she's had no trouble adapting to life here at the homestead and the other two dogs, "Diesel" and "Shonook" have taken to her well.

Turbo at rest:

Diesel at rest:

Rich
Old 12-30-2006, 09:32 PM
DTR Mom

Great to See! I like some animals better than people..

Here is a rescued 2 year old Siberian just arrived in June 2006 at 50 pounds. He is now 75 pounds and can hit 35 mph just for fun. "Traveller" is his name as he liked to escape for 20 mile runs......I know all the dog wardens in a fifty mile radius. I have 95 acres but he can't read a posted sign yet. learning to pull sled with a samoyed; just to hear the stupid human yell "hike!" duh-- ya don't have to tell a Siberian to run.... stopping is a different matter....
Big thing in front was my 120 pound, 13 year old Alaskan Malamute. he taught the Siberian how to be a dog. Taught some humans how to be nice.
sure miss him- I am sure those of you out there know what I mean!

Quick Reply: Man's Best Friend...