Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Lutefisk

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 08:26 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Lutefisk

Any body having Lutefisk today? That is the one thing I am glad MY family knows nothing about. My Norwegian grandparents had it every Christmas along with boiled sheep head.

It's a wonder I survived .

Ed
Old 12-25-2004, 09:41 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
we had some one year, I'm not sure if we had prepared it correctly.... from the sounds of things we did My side of the family is content with the smoked eel. For some reason the spouses don't want to touch the stuff either....
Old 12-25-2004, 10:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
For us its oyster dressing, my father in law favorite! Every year we all have to try it.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lutefisk

Grandma's Norweigan......luckily we never had to eat that.

How about Headcheese???

Dad's Ukrainan and loves the stuff....

Pass the turkey....
Old 12-25-2004, 02:16 PM

Most Scandanvian food was originally based on a bet. I would rather be hungry than eat lutefisk.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:19 PM
Chapter President

Not exactly on subject... We have Lasagna!!!!

This year it took me 30 pounds of cheese to make two of these little platters of goodness.

No offense, but I like our tradition better than sherod's and I have never ever ever tried Lutefisk.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:20 PM

Based on a bet. That has got to be the funniest thing I
have read on here.

Doc, my stepdad likes headcheese. We never saw eye-to-eye on many things when I was younger.

Ed
Old 12-25-2004, 02:22 PM

Tfeore--I'm like Garfield, so can I have a plate?, um please, um pretty please?

Ed
Old 12-25-2004, 03:19 PM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had to eat golden browned tenderloin laying on a bed of wild rice and mushrooms. Couldn't eat but 2 plate fulls.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:29 PM
Chapter President

sherod, the pics will be in my gallery shortly...That is if they get approved and not eaten first. You can have first dibs...
Old 12-25-2004, 06:58 PM

I had the good fortune (insert sarcasm here) of eating some Lutefisk last night. For those of you lucky enough to not know what Lutefisk is, here is a short description. Take some cod fish, soak it in Lye (yeah, the poisonous stuff), and let it sit for a LONG time. The lye preserves it I guess. Then, when you're finally dumb enough to eat it, you boil it in H2O until it turns transluscent ( this step is VERY smelly, if you like huffing anything, I would recommend doing it now, model airplane glue, gas, diesel, whatever) Then you add some cream and butter to your smelly concoction, and you have Lutefisk, Swedish style. If you have to eat it, I would recommend serving it over potatoes, with some butter and a TON of salt. MMM MMM GOOD. Luckily my wife is Swedish, so I get to eat this gruel every year for XMas. But her mother said that I'm going to Heaven since I ate it. ( I think this is what they tell the little kids so they'll eat it)

Merry Christmas
AJ
Old 12-25-2004, 09:24 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I've posted this before, but it's still funny:

In Roger Welsch's book "Diggin' In and Piggin' Out: The Truth About Men and Food" he tells about tossing some leftover lutefisk out in the yard for his two Labs, Lucky and Thud. He says "I thought they might like it. They eat cow poop, for Pete's sake. I tossed the fish into the yard. The dogs sniffed it, circled it, sniffed again, and then...then I got a new assessment of exactly where lutefisk stands on the gastronomic scale: they rolled in it."
Old 12-27-2004, 06:27 PM

Ya, yumpin yiminy, LEFSE, SJOKOLADEKAKE, FATTIGMAND BAKKELSER and JULEKAGE are great!
Old 12-27-2004, 06:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by wannadiesel
Roger Welsch's book "Diggin' In and Piggin' Out: The Truth About Men and Food" he tells about tossing some leftover lutefisk out in the yard for his two Labs, Lucky and Thud. He says "I thought they might like it. They eat cow poop, for Pete's sake. I tossed the fish into the yard. The dogs sniffed it, circled it, sniffed again, and then...then I got a new assessment of exactly where lutefisk stands on the gastronomic scale: they rolled in it."
Now there is a true Nebraskan. Roger Welsch lives in Stromsburg, NE about 30 miles north of me.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by ARedetzke
I had the good fortune (insert sarcasm here) of eating some Lutefisk last night. For those of you lucky enough to not know what Lutefisk is, here is a short description. Take some cod fish, soak it in Lye (yeah, the poisonous stuff), and let it sit for a LONG time. The lye preserves it I guess. Then, when you're finally dumb enough to eat it, you boil it in H2O until it turns transluscent ( this step is VERY smelly, if you like huffing anything, I would recommend doing it now, model airplane glue, gas, diesel, whatever) Then you add some cream and butter to your smelly concoction, and you have Lutefisk, Swedish style. If you have to eat it, I would recommend serving it over potatoes, with some butter and a TON of salt. MMM MMM GOOD. Luckily my wife is Swedish, so I get to eat this gruel every year for XMas. But her mother said that I'm going to Heaven since I ate it. ( I think this is what they tell the little kids so they'll eat it)

Merry Christmas
AJ
Ahhh, that's the stuff.

Apparently you lost a bet.