Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Lumber Industry Hits home.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lumber Industry Hits home.

Today My dad told me AWP ( Allegheny Wood Products) his employer went from 17 logging crews in our area to 5 by the end of today. They are only going to run one shift at the mill and they cut the log truck force in half. . My dad and his two man crew of 23 years was lucky enough to make the cut and is one of the 5 logging crews left for now. He had to fire 2 guys who were working part time for him. They were laid off 3 months ago by their previouse crew. He has been self employed since he was 23 and things have never been this bad. I know the economy is in shambles and i wondered if anyone else was being affecting on the East coast by the ecomonmy and Wood Market. Also I forgot to mention Im in Western Pa. Let me know how things are else where. Thanks. Jordan
Old 02-06-2009, 10:59 PM

The industry up here in Northern Saskatchwan has pretty much died off, been about 2 years now, right from pulp and paper, peelers, saw logs, you name it.

The housing boom in the U.S was good for the local area suppling lumber ect, and the decline we felt over a year ago, now in hind-sight was a good indicator of what was to come.

Used to have a bunch of machines in the bush, right from the stump to the mill. Got out at the right time.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
my family said it died in the foothills of NC also.

everything is slowing down.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:47 PM

Sounds rough. Its only gonna get worse. Its tough seeing this and trying to pick a career as a teenager.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
There is a fair amount of construction activity where I live, but the downturn is felt here, too.

There's a company here that makes metal components for windows and doors, and they have laid off a bunch of people.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 12valvedutchy
Its tough seeing this and trying to pick a career as a teenager.
Keep you eye on the Information Tech (IT) stuff and health care fields. These are 2 areas that see much smaller swings up and down in tough times. My wife is a nurse and most places here are still so short handed she could work 80 hours a week if she wanted to. I am actually going back to school now for a career change to the IT profession. Will hopefully start at the end of the month or first of March.
Whatever you decide, just remember these times and choose wisely!! GOOD LUCK!
Old 02-07-2009, 09:45 AM

Timber is hurting here in the Black Hills the last I heard. Sounds like its going to be another tough year.

Have a good one.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:31 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Here at least, there are some jobs being created by the green energy field.

If a person was a millwright, mechanic, or any sort of electrican the windmill folks here would likely snap you up in a heartbeat.

The bummer would be, I would think, that it would be unlikely for a person to make it to retirement age still able to climb 300+ feet of ladder several times a day.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:22 PM

Many jobs dead here loggers,mill workers and even store personal, tons of mills closing down and taking the small towns with them.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:38 PM

At the moment a hand full of hardwood mills have shutdown within the last 16 months and Im suprised the one closest too me still is. AWP shutdown some of its southern mills and its only a matter of time before they move north and some of the small towns here can't afford to lose these jobs. I guess its all gonna go down the drain at some point no matter where you are. My dads got 2 John Deere 540 G's ..I think lol.. not positive. I just drive. They have considered dropping one machine but due to the ecomonmy the last 2-3 years its benefitted them to keep both due to loss they would take by selling it. They never bought any log trucks because here it wasnt worth the cost of drivers, fuel, maintence, and insurance. Any other info please post. Thanks. Hope all is well, Jordan
Old 02-07-2009, 10:40 PM

Joesixpack- im sorry to hear about the dead economy up there. here the market is mostly hardwood with pulp wood in the mix when its profitable.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:23 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Our Mill here only works about 1 week a month now and the wood chip market busted so there are very few Log Trucks on the road.

Funny how most of the lumber at the big box stores is imported and our local families are going hungry!
Old 02-08-2009, 01:38 PM

Ramlovingvet. You have a good point. My pops said they are killing us due to the low price they sell to the box stores. That just goes to show how oblivious our government is. There are warehouses full of dry lumber all over the U.S. and we are buying foreign lumber? its frustrating
Old 02-08-2009, 02:25 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Ramlovingvet. You have a good point. My pops said they are killing us due to the low price they sell to the box stores. That just goes to show how oblivious our government is. There are warehouses full of dry lumber all over the U.S. and we are buying foreign lumber? its frustrating
would you rather the government step in and start telling shop owners what to sell, how much to sell, what prices to sell it at?
if there are warehouse of dry lumber ready to go, then its time to have a good old fashion fire sale...
Old 02-08-2009, 07:42 PM

Joesixpack- im sorry to hear about the dead economy up there. here the market is mostly hardwood with pulp wood in the mix when its profitable.
Loggin for us was just filler for the winter time, Farming is the lion share of the business, and the last couple of years on that front have been great, commodity prices were through the roof.

We were running 748G's and I spent a ton of time running a skidder, started when I was 15 pullin cable off the back of a 3 cylinder jimmy timberjack. **** brake was tight on the drum and all winter had to pull for all you were worth stringing the cable off the drum and hooking chokers.

Going to the JD's was like jumping in a cadilac!

I'm thinking its going to be a while before lumber picks back up.

Quick Reply: Lumber Industry Hits home.