Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Lowering Trucks/SUVs for safety

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering Trucks/SUVs for safety

Came across this on USAToday.com:
Truck/SUV Crash Safety
Thought it was interesting. Was wondering what other folk's opinions are (I may be at the wrong place to get people's opinions though ).
Old 09-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re:Lowering Trucks/SUVs for safety

Seems backwards to me... They should just raise all the cars!

Rich
Old 09-09-2003, 11:33 AM

My own thought is that if it saves lives, that is good. Then I started thinking more (that hurts): the overall problem is people are too occupied with distractions while driving these days. They are not paying attention to the business at hand: driving your vehicle from A to B without hitting anyone. We've all seen people who are fiddling with the kids, talking on the phone, applying makeup, reading etc. etc. etc. More time in drivers ed. and stiffer fines for "not paying attention" are needed (IMHO).
Old 09-09-2003, 11:48 AM

Why must our government try to regulate EVERYTHING we do? Sure this is "voluntary," but legislation would be right on their heels. Trust me. They have no right to regulate or even suggest how high or low my vehicle is. If I am too tall for someone behind me to see around, then they should try backing off and getting the bigger picture! If owning a truck or SUV makes you more likely to survive a crash, then gee--I'm glad I own one of each! Maybe everyone concerned with the odds of crash survival ought to look into investing into one. Don't tell me what I can and can't drive. If I have to buy a truck in the future under this new "voluntary" lower vehicle standard, you bet I will raise it up to make it look proper!

The nerve of some people. Next thing you know, some band of wackos will be torching and spraypainting all SUVs because they are so dangerous and environmentally unfriendly. Oh wait. That's already been done. So much for the land of the free.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:33 PM

People like...
SkyJacker
Rancho
Procomp
Will have more money cause people will want there truck just alittle bit higher than stock.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:52 PM

Quote from the article: "In a car-pickup crash, car occupants are 26 times more likely to die than those in the truck; in a car-SUV crash, people in the car are 16 times more likely to die."

Anyone wonder why I put my foot down and insisted why my wife drive a bigger vehicle? (Foot still hurts by the way, wife stomped on it )

She kicked and screamed all the way down to the dealership. Course I got the new dodge in the deal (love it when a plan comes together!)

Ask her now? She wouldn't drive anything else. She loves the visibility and the secure feeling she gets. She also gets a kick from the kids at school thinking she is cool for driving a big truck. (H.S. teacher out in the country).

Before some liberal screams that it isn't fair to those who can't afford it: I don't care. I work really hard to provide for the safety and security of my family. Having a safe vehicle is just part of it.

We are going to legislate this country into oblivion.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:52 PM

what whiff said....the after market companies will not be making more cause most people will not be willing to void there warrantee which im sure the manufacturers will do. these days most people dont keep there cars long enough for the warrantee to run out and most people are going to want to be there own warrantee station.
I think they should try to teach people to drive better instead of trying to make cars with all these thing to help protect people who cant drive. thats y they have buses...
Old 09-09-2003, 02:53 PM

Thats why Im down there~!
Old 09-09-2003, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Safety ,Safety, Its gone a little off the deep end protecting us from ourselves I think. All things within reason. I gotta a laugh when I saw the goverment is calling for a ban on the new comedy movie out, cant remember the name, but a slip and slide is used without water,and although I think they doused it with dish soap and when the slider hit it he stuck like fly paper and got road rash on his chest. WARNING dont try this at home!!!!!
Old 09-09-2003, 03:33 PM

if u are stupid enough to try thing u see other people do and an un wanted outcome then u diserve what u get....remember stupid hurts.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:58 PM
LE

I have been fighting the"Lift Laws"my entire driving life, along with my brothers, friends and other various family members. If I lift a vehicle too much, it is not safe. If a guy wishes to lower his vehicle too much, that is not safe. The government would like us all to be individuals, as long as we all do it together. I agree, I work hard to give my family the type of entertainment they deserve. If I wish to go riding without a helmet, that is my right. If I want to put my 10 year old on her own quad, that should be up to me. Instead, the state loves to get involved, to protect us from ourselves.
It was not too long ago that I was a kid, and if you were the goofy kid wearing safety crap you gut teased and ultimately left behind. Nowadays, you can't drive down the street without seeing a kid riding a bike with a helmet on. What happened to natural attrition? Natural selection? The smart will survive? Who are we really trying to protect? The gene pool (puddle in this state) is getting polluted, and "stupid" is running rampant. Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to vent. LE
Old 09-09-2003, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Ya, what he said.

I'll keep my truck the way it is thanx.
Ride my motorcycle without a helmet if I want to.
Require my kids to wear one, and a bike helmet too.
When they get older they can decide for themselves.
(unless the gov't already decided for them)

phox
Old 09-09-2003, 07:10 PM

I think they should start that imediatly...........in fact I'm gonna go out right now and remove my factory rear spacer block and cut 6" off my skyjacker coils

then I'm gonna put on a set of 13" wheels with 155/80R13 tires

that ought to make somebody happy
Old 09-09-2003, 07:50 PM
Administrator

[quote author=dodgeram link=board=10;threadid=19447;start=0#msg182769 date=1063152618]
then I'm gonna put on a set of 13" wheels with 155/80R13 tires

that ought to make somebody happy
[/quote]

You'll have to pull the drum brakes off an old Yugo to fit those rims though, that'll make it safer

phox
Old 09-09-2003, 09:02 PM

I really like this SUV ;D

Quick Reply: Lowering Trucks/SUVs for safety