Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Loosened Lugnuts

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loosened Lugnuts

Why do people suck? Apparently, last night when I was working late, some one loosened the lugs on my truck. This morning on the way to school, My tire fell off. Yeah...not good. Also the tire hit someones car and bounced half a mile down the road. Then the cops showed up....yeah...I didn't call them neither did the person whose car I hit. We had already settled stuff and she had minimal damage anyway. Right now, I know that my rear brake assembly is toast and I don't know about the axle yet. I had to drive it a solid 100 yards after loosing the wheel so I didnt nail a telephone pole. Yeah...Moral of this story is that people suck.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree....I'm working through a similar situation, where I have upset someone in the neighborhood and they are hiding behind the HOA to badger me about anything & everything.

I assume you checked the other 3 wheels and they were tight?

So, the investigation begins....Who have you upset lately?????

It's a sad day when people can't maturely deal with each other: Road Rage, vindictive acts, etc.

So much for society!

Hope this situation comes out alright for you!
Old 10-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Lug nuts can work loose if you don't torque them to spec every now and then, assuming it was an intentional act might be a mistake on your part. When is the last time you put a torque wrench on them?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:37 AM

The other rear wheel was loose as well. I haven't had any conflicts with anyone. I had it over at the tire place not even 2 weeks ago and had the lugs checked there. I have no real idea other than it was just some punk from my school who thought it would be funny.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It may have been an attempted theft. Whoever it was just didn't finish the job.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:44 PM

I've had lugnuts loosen up on me before on a '68 Ford LTD 2-door. Then again, I was 16 and had a difficult time removing them once; (insert brainstorm here....), get this: I oiled the stupid things to make it easier next time. lol At least I had the sense to check out the "clunking" sound the right front wheel made going around corners before it fell off. (whew)

Nowadays I always put my torque wrench to them and check them myself after any shop touches them. And I also check them periodically.

Glad to hear no one got hurt, sorry to hear the backing plate got ground down a little. I think I'll check my lugnuts tomorrow; what I really need to do is rotate them. Guess I'll add that to the weekend "to-do" list.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The tire shop i deal with puts a tag on the rearview mirror telling you to bring it back after driving for 100 km's for retorqueing. My buddy also carries a torque wrench in his 3500 dump truck and we check the lugs at least once a week and on occasion there will be loose ones.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:05 PM

Could be the tire place didnt torque them enough. I had that happen to me a few weeks ago. Took the truck in for service and had them rotate the tires. They broke a wheel stud and replaced it , but I assume the tech got scared after that cause he didnt tighten the others down properly. First I knew of it was a vibration at 70 on the highway, stopped to check and only had 2 wheel studs left. The others sheared off clean. Had it towed back to the dealer told them they were the last ones to touch it and they needed to fix it. They fixed the studs, bought me a new rim, and detailed my truck with a yes sir sorry sir attitude. You might give them a call.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:14 PM

I've been thinking about it all day and the only conclusion is that I've either a) made an enemy that I don' know about or b) been the target of some prank that really isn't funny. I know that they didn't work themselves loose because I had it in the tire shop for a flat not two weeks ago and checked all the lugs. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a theft attempt because the lugs were loose on both rear wheels, but neither was completely removed. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems as though they would finish one wheel before moving on to another, but I don't know. Anyway, that's my thought process on it.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:08 PM

I'd be talking to the last person that touched your truck.

especially since it was only two weeks ago. they may have checked it, but could have done it wrong.

especially since other wheel was loose too and the fact that you cannot come up with a person(s) that's mad enough at you to do this.

Originally Posted by ChuckW
I've been thinking about it all day and the only conclusion is that I've either a) made an enemy that I don' know about or b) been the target of some prank that really isn't funny. I know that they didn't work themselves loose because I had it in the tire shop for a flat not two weeks ago and checked all the lugs. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a theft attempt because the lugs were loose on both rear wheels, but neither was completely removed. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems as though they would finish one wheel before moving on to another, but I don't know. Anyway, that's my thought process on it.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:03 AM

yeah the thing is though the shod didn't even touch my rear tires, only the front drivers side because thats where the flat was. And I watched them double check tire pressure and the lugs on all the tires, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't them. I was talking with my dad and his theory is that there were probably two guys that loosened both rears, as the front tires were against the curb, then went to jack it up and were either scared off or didn't have a big enough jack.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:37 AM

oppsss... if shop that worked on your tire didn't touch those wheels.

it's hard to believe both wheels came loose by them selves, after running tight for a long time.

no question someone is messing with your truck!

Originally Posted by ChuckW
yeah the thing is though the shod didn't even touch my rear tires, only the front drivers side because thats where the flat was. And I watched them double check tire pressure and the lugs on all the tires, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't them. I was talking with my dad and his theory is that there were probably two guys that loosened both rears, as the front tires were against the curb, then went to jack it up and were either scared off or didn't have a big enough jack.