Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Looking for a New Truck for the Folks

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a New Truck for the Folks

OK, I'm new to this whole posting thing. I have always been a Ford girl until BigBlue converted me. Anyways, I am the only one in my family that is the slightest bit intersted in trucks, so my knowledge is limited, but I am trying to learn. I drive an automatic Cummins 3500 dually for work (when I'm not driving the 550 ;D) and I really like hauling with it. My parents have just bought a ranch and are looking for a bigger truck (they think their F-150 is big) to haul their stock trailer with. Would you recomend a auto or standard for hauling? Why? Or is there no differance other than preferance? Is there anything else you would take into account when looking for a truck that is going to be doing alot of hauling (especailly up hills)? I know these are alot of questions, but like I said, I am just learning.<br>
Old 06-16-2003, 03:18 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re:Looking for a New Truck for the Folks

Personally...for heavy hauling I wouldn't have anything BUT a standard. Others may disagree...but I've just always been of the mindset that manual transmissions are better for hauling and pulling (just look at big rigs). Plus...they're more fun to drive. ;D <br><br>Oh yeah.....and of COURSE they need to get a Cummins. ;D
Old 06-16-2003, 03:39 PM

DLD<br>I agree with .....Hoss. j/k Yea I agree with him if you gonna be towing like you have said then I would diffenitly get 5 or 6spd. But thing is I would get a 12v goodies are alot cheaper. ;D But Standard would be better for gearing wise and stuff like that. Have fun when you get the new truck.<br><br>[sub]p.s.....get a 12v like me.[/sub]<br><br>SD03
Old 06-16-2003, 04:56 PM

no, don't get a truck like superior's, you need a 98 12valve :P it depends what your parents want- will they be pulling only, pulling stock, modifiying...etc.? the cheaper to modifiy is the 12valve. either way-modifying, you're looking at spending a good chunk of money for transmission upgrades.<br><br>btw, it's nice to see more girls into trucks, seems that most around here drive SUV's :<br><br>Tom
Old 06-16-2003, 05:19 PM

You guys are right, until now. I used to be the exact same way. Heck I had 20 trucks with five and six speeds until I tried the Duramax/Allison. I have never gone back to a hand shaker. And now that Dodge has this great 48re auto I can finally drive the truck I really like instead of the Chevy. I just made a trip this weekend with 7 horses and I am absolutely amazed with my HO/48re/4.10's. I had that sucker up to 80mph several times when I had a long open stretch of interstate. I pulled some big dang hills and pulled everone in top gear. This sucker is twice the trucks of that my duramaxes were. You guys can keep you handshakers, when you spend the kind of miles behind the wheel I do, the &quot;fun&quot; of the six shooter wears off quick. And when you can have an auto that pulls as good or better than a sixer , why wouldn't you want one? ???
Old 06-16-2003, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=Cummins Luke link=board=10;threadid=15949;start=0#149916 date=1055801943]<br>&lt;snip&gt;I just made a trip this weekend with 7 horses&lt;snip&gt;[/quote]<br><br>I kinda figured they were making up the power figures for those 03's. As quiet as they are, I figured they had to be somewhere in the PS range of horsepower... ;D<br><br>
Old 06-17-2003, 07:42 AM

Just a guess....but for you buys talking about mods, I'd venture to say that her parents probably aren't interested in mods so I doubt that will play a factor in their decision. Just a thought.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:17 AM

If their idea of a &quot;big&quot; truck is an F150, an automatic will haul whatever they are pulling. Get a 2001.5 or up. Rear disk brakes and plug and play power if they want a little more.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:36 AM

Thanks ya'll. No my parents are probably not too interested in mods. On their last truck they thought that the bumper pull hitch was a little extravagent ! But they will be pulling a 28 ft stock trailer (it has living quaters too) so I am trying to steer them into something that will be very reliable. They are also very concerned about what type of gas mileage they will be getting. I know what my work truck gets, but I wanted to see if there was a differance b/w the standard and the auto. Thanks again!<br>
Old 06-17-2003, 09:52 AM

Sounds like they need a 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins. Standard or automatic is up to them.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:24 AM

Hello Dixie good to see a fellow TDR memeber close by. I work in College Station. I've also been thinking of selling my '99, but haven't made up my mind. I would say if you are pulling a living quarters trailer and are not going to buy new go with the five speed. My opinion is that the earlier model auots will not hold up to heavy pulling. I'm guessing that this is a four horse slant. By the time you get four horses and all your gear loaded your going to have a load behind you. Are you going to A&amp;M?
Old 06-17-2003, 02:13 PM

Dixie,<br>With only 2 horses in our 4 horse slant, our GCVW with the 3500, is over 16000#. Make sure you get enough truck. You will be a lot better off with a little more truck, than not enough.<br>I prefer the manuals, but that's just my $0.00002
Old 06-17-2003, 02:46 PM

[quote author=bkay link=board=10;threadid=15949;start=0#150217 date=1055867044]<br>Hello Dixie good to see a fellow TDR memeber close by. I work in College Station. I've also been thinking of selling my '99, but haven't made up my mind. I would say if you are pulling a living quarters trailer and are not going to buy new go with the five speed. My opinion is that the earlier model auots will not hold up to heavy pulling. I'm guessing that this is a four horse slant. By the time you get four horses and all your gear loaded your going to have a load behind you. Are you going to A&amp;M? <br>[/quote]<br><br>Iola??!! ;D Hehehe...been through your neck of the woods PLENTY of times. ;D Wouldn't happen to know a little short, grumpy fella by the name of Bo would ya?? I forget his last name but I used to work with him back in my college days down there. He and his wife went through a nasty divorce right before I left so I don't know if he's still around those parts or not.<br><br>Oh...and back on topic Dixie....get a Cummins. Did I already say that?? ;D
Old 06-17-2003, 02:59 PM

Ya listen to Hoss but must be warned Hoss has HCD (Hoss Confusion Diease)
Old 06-17-2003, 03:46 PM

What he's saying is that I confuse him. Doesn't take much though...

Quick Reply: Looking for a New Truck for the Folks