Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Looking for a new handgun

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Looking for a new handgun

Buzz, I tend to agree with that statement, but it may be easy for a beginner to read into that sentence that revolvers themselves solve all the problems for beginners (safest, most accident free). "Safe" is a very relative term. Nothing replaces proper training and practice - unfortunately, beginners may not realize it at first.

Carrying a weapon around for plinking in the field is one thing, carrying one for personal protection is something much more complex and emotional - certainly not a trivial exercise.

Again, I agree, for casual plinking, I believe a revolver is a good start. Plus, its so much easier to find your brass.

Like it was said early on, go to a range and try a few on for size. They come in all sizes for big and small hands; and have cartridges that are mild; to those that make your eyes water.

Whatever you get, be safe with it.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:52 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Yup, good point. If a gun wasn't "safe", they wouldn't let you register it. Whatever you buy, be comfortable with it, but treat it with respect. If it's not locked in the safe, it should never be out of your thoughts. The biggest worry of a police officer is not getting the gun out. That's practiced over and over. The biggest worry is not making it accessable to others, and bumping into things with it. You should be thinking about what your leaning on, positioning yourself between the gun and others, and whether it's in danger of falling out from your activity (i/e dance floor). You have the group of guys that feel they have to carry all the time. They should not allow themselves to get complaceant, and lose respect for the weapon. You also have the guys who after awhil, wise up and only carry when it's safe and reasonable. Here, it can be easy to forget you are carrying, because you don't do it all the time. But, if you have a gun that is reasonable for self defense use, it'll be somewhat difficult to forget it's there. Some of those little "pop" guns are very capable of killing, but for a civilian to justify firing a gun at someone, it's my opnion that it had better be in the type of situation that requires real stopping power. I feel .38 special or 9mm is as small as you should be going. The smaller stuff is more for someone who needs to get in close and start something, not necessarily to save himself and get away. Even with my 9, I wouldn't let it leave the house without hollow points.

I know of a guy (police officer) that was standing in line at McDonald's, when a group of Cub Scouts came in. It was a weekend, so he had time in line to answer all their questions while waiting for the order. He was having a good time talking with them, hands in pockets, but with the distractions, complacency set in. While subconsciously, flicking the hammer of the back-up gun in his pocket, the kids got a big surprize. Yes, I saw the bullet that was lodged in the soul of the shoe. Wool pants, were tore all the way down the leg as well, from the muzzle blast.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:28 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote author=Buzz link=board=10;threadid=22896;start=0#msg215850 date=1070169667]
If self protection is your main concern, DO NOT get a semi automatic. It's a fact. Most accidental discharges happen with semi automatics. A revolver is the safest, most accident free choice of weapons. Unlike semi auto's, they can't accidently be fired. You have to pull the trigger....no safety's to worry about or fumble with. A .38 or .357 is a good choice. Just my opinion.
[/quote]

I have to disagree with this. For self protection, I lean towards a semi-auto (as do all law enforcement agencies and military agencies....where protection of self and others is their job). Any gun is only as safe as the person carrying it....be it a revolver or otherwise. My Glock 30 is no different from a revlover safety wise. Like a revolver, it has no external safeties to fumble with....all you do is pull the trigger.

Also, if you drop a revolver that doesn't have a concealed hammer and it happens to land on the hammer just right....you could have a problem. Most (if not all) modern semi autos have safeties built into the gun that prevent the gun from firing if it's dropped.

Revolvers are great for their simplicity....and this is what I highly recommend for anyone with ZERO experience shooting handguns....but I wouldn't say they're BETTER.

I'll stick with my Glock. 10+1 rounds of .45 ACP hollow points in a gun that I trust with my life. It has never once jammed or misfired....and it makes me feel pretty safe knowing that when I pull the trigger it's gonna go boom.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:27 PM

Gotta admit, I agree with Hoss...

I'm in the protection business..Retired Law Enforcement, working for a well known corporation in San Francisco, protecting High Profile Execs..Everyone in this line of work carries 9mm autos of various manufacturers..Mainly because they are easy to wear and conceal. Any shooting we do will be at close range..And I want all the rounds I can carry..that would be 12..I carry a SW 669 small frame 9mm..Same gun I carried as a cop..Never had a jam or misfire/feed problem.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:36 PM

Does Glock still make the 27. This is the small 40 caliber that was referred to earlier. I heard that they quit making them. I know they are hard to come by around here. I like mine. It performs quite well for its length and yet is very convenient for its size. SS
Old 12-02-2003, 04:38 PM

Yes...they are still making them....and a fine little gun the 27 is. They're pretty easy to find in my neck of the woods.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:23 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. I guess I should have stated this isn't my first pistol. I have three revolvers at home. Two Rugers (.22 & .357) and a SW (.357). I carry the Ruger .357 a little during hunting season but is just to big to carry all day. Here in South Dakota I don't carry for personal protection. I should have also said I am looking at a semi-automatic. I don't have much experience with them but have shot a few. My uncle has a glock (don't remember what it is) that shoots nice and a couple of high-points. I like the cost of the high-points but the quality just didn't seem to be there.

I have been looking at the G34. I think I want a 9mm and this seems like a nice gun. What about the Sig? What is a good model? Which one would be a better price? What is a good price on the G34?
Old 12-02-2003, 05:37 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Try checking www.gunbroker.com for some ideas about prices.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:33 AM

[quote author=packfan25 link=board=10;threadid=22896;start=15#msg217216 date=1070407391]I have been looking at the G34. I think I want a 9mm and this seems like a nice gun. What about the Sig? What is a good model? Which one would be a better price? What is a good price on the G34?
[/quote]

Don't know about Sigs, but in my part of town pretty much any Glock can be had with night sights for just under $500 (unless it's compensated or has something special done to it). The last one I bought (G23) was $469 without night sights and $489 with them (plus tax).
Old 12-03-2003, 11:01 AM

Here in MD with all the stupid gun laws my SIG P225 ran about $625. It can be had for less in other states. I recommend the SIG P228 or P229 if you are looking for a 9mm with higher capacity mags.

Unfortunately Maryland now requires all new handguns to have built-in trigger locks or they can't be sold here. Used guns are fine if manufactured prior to 2003. No more SIGs for me unless they are used. There are only a few manufacturer's guns they can sell here now....talk about slim pickins.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:25 PM

Slim pickins maybe....but the BEST is still available...

GLOCK
Old 12-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont let Hoss get at ya. There are better or equivelant guns out there than Glock. I personally dont like some of the things that Glock does to try and cover up there mistakes (recalls) but we wont get into that. It is not the only kid on the block. Sig's are great pistols and are very very hard to beat. The accuracy is awesome. The Sig of choice for high profile jobs is the Sig P228. However, I have seen that alot of the highway patrols are switching to the P220 45cal. Expect to pay from 600-900 on a NIB Sig. But, like they say, you get what you pay for. And when you are dealing with guns this is very true.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:16 PM

If you want an auto, I'm pretty partial to the Glocks. There is a reason why the majority of law enforcement uses them. I have a Glock 21 (45 cal) because the larger frame fits my hand better. The frame sizes vary quite a bit so I also think you should try to find a gun range that lets you try their guns. Supposedly you can throw a Glock in the lake, toss it in the mud, and drive over it with your truck and it will still work. Ruger and S&W revolvers are very nice. Just to throw in one more monkey wrench, I also really like my Berretta 92. I have a law enforcement equipment dealer near me that is a great place to get used guns at a great price. They are all ex-cop guns so they have been well taken care of. Maybe you have one close to you. They will not sell new guns to the public though. Good Luck.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:10 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

If you are looking for a 9mm, there should be lots of used Sigs out there in the 226. Many law enforcement agency's switched from the 9 to a 40 a couple years ago. Some resod the guns themselves, some allowed the officers to by their own gun. Many bought these with the intent to resell them. These would have the 15 round mags. Don't be worried about bying a used one. The springs don't retain their memory, just look for signs of abuse. As far as safety, I have seen them dropped on their hammer on concrete without firing.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:57 PM

I hear the new Smith & Wesson 500 is awesome for plinking and really good for small game also ;D

Quick Reply: Looking for a new handgun