Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Looking for a new handgun

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a new handgun

I have been looking for a new handgun the last couple of weeks and was looking for some advice. I'm looking for something to carry in the pickup to shoot small game and just to play around with. I have been looking at some glocks but I'm not really set on any one brand. I would like something fairly accurate and dependable.

I guess I'm just looking for comments on a good handgun and caliber.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:07 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Re:Looking for a new handgun

Find a local range that rents guns and "try a few on".
Some folks are more comfortable with certain sizes/styles/calibers.
Spending some time behind the sights is the best way to see what might be your new favorite.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:52 PM

packfan,
I am a huge fan of Ruger sidearms. I have a .22, a 9mm, and a 44mag. Wouldn't trade any of them, nice selection for what I need. If you are looking for a small caliber for small game, how about a Single Six in .22mag. Nice foir small stuff, but a little expensive for plinking. But you can get a .22LR cylinder for plinking. Just my .02.

Tiny
Old 11-26-2003, 07:31 PM
Banned

If this is just a hand gun that you really don't care much about, or just want to have fun with, then I would look at Hi-Point. They make several in-expensive hand guns that are nice but cheap. Great gun for target paractice, plinking, personel protection. I have there 380,9mm compensated,45. I like automatics, so thats what i got. They shoot nice and offer a pretty decent shot group. The 9mm is my favorite, and the lasser sight works great. I got the 380 for my wife, as a starter pistol. It was easier to get use to, not the kick of a larger weapon. I like glock, S&W, ect too, but I wouldn't use them as everyday, or as a gun to leave in the truck. These are cheaper pistols, but they still work good, and I feel they offer alot of value. Just a thought.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:19 PM

y-not, I'm glad you mentioned hi-point. I was in the store not to long ago, looking for something "small" to carry (I have a ccw). The dealer showed me a high point in a 32 auto?? I think it was a high point, and I think it was a 32 auto. Very small, fit in a back pocket of your jeans, not much larger than a pack of cigarettes.

I was a little concerned about the quality, it looked like a decently built gun. Do you recall where this company is from (where the gun is made?).

Personally, I have a medium frame S&W model 457. Nicely made, easy to shoot (for a 45 cal), and fairly mild recoil. A little big for everyday carry. Considered a medium frame model.

A .380 or a 9mm is nice for getting critters. Maybe the 9mm cause the ammo is cheap and available everywhere. I just seen a very small .40 glock a friend had for his personal carry weapon. .40 cal may be a little large for what you want, but I was impressed with how small of a firearm it was. Won't have to much trouble with "all creatures great and small" with that caliber. Can't remember the model, but probably available in the smaller calibers.

Good luck, Kevin
Old 11-26-2003, 08:30 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Hipoint Firearms website
http://www.mkssupply.com/

Also check out Taurus at www.taurususa.com
Old 11-26-2003, 08:30 PM

I love my ruger handguns. They are by far my favorites, and as posted above, the 22/22mag is plenty versatile.

If you are looking for just varmits, it will do the job. If you want self protection, I would step it up a few notches. A 9mm would be about the miniimum I would want to carry, cause if you have to use it, you want to make sure it goes down.

When I am hiking, I carry my .44mag. ;D
Old 11-26-2003, 08:41 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Choice! ;D ;D ;D

When in Colorado, I don't go into woods, summer or winter, without my SW 44 packed with HydroShocks.

CR
Old 11-26-2003, 09:56 PM

Well, I am real partial to sigs but they aren't cheap. I also prefer to carry a revolver in the truck. I like the simpler action and it is easier for my wife to remember the proper procedures. Just point and click
Old 11-26-2003, 10:01 PM

by the way, kind of off topic but did anyone see that video of the guy trying to shoot the lawyer a couple of weeks ago? Fired 5 or 6 times from just a couple of feet away and totally missed. He probably wasn't experienced with a handgun but it made me wonder how bad my aim would get if the adrenaline (sp?) was really pumping. Most of us don't get to practice in stressfull situations. Just kind of made me wonder. Hope I don't ever have to find out but really hope I do better than he did.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:48 AM

Personally, I like CZ handguns. The are very accurate and affordable. I have the CZ-97B (.45), CZ-40 (.40 with a 1911 style frame) and a CZ-50 (.32 auto...nice compact weapon made in the 1950s.)

I also have a SIG P225 and a Kahr MK9 Stainless. The Kahr is a very compact 9mm that holds 6+1 rounds. It is only about 6-7" long. The SIG is a single stack 9mm.

Here's some of the manufacturer's websites....

www.czusa.com
www.sigarms.com
www.kahrarms.com
Old 11-29-2003, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote author=trailblazenyj link=board=10;threadid=22896;start=0#msg214736 date=1069905689]
by the way, kind of off topic but did anyone see that video of the guy trying to shoot the lawyer a couple of weeks ago? Fired 5 or 6 times from just a couple of feet away and totally missed. He probably wasn't experienced with a handgun but it made me wonder how bad my aim would get if the adrenaline (sp?) was really pumping. Most of us don't get to practice in stressfull situations. Just kind of made me wonder. Hope I don't ever have to find out but really hope I do better than he did.
[/quote]

Actually, he hit him several times. They were just not fatal shots or substantial damage.

Dont overlook the new Springfield XD lineup. They come in a sub compact, service model, and a 5" tactical model. These guns are proving to be a very big contender for the Glock lineup. Some experts say it is the closest contender to the Glock than any other gun put out yet. I have the torture test video on this gun and it is pretty amazing at what they put it through. I purchased the XD 40 Service Model back in Sept and have fired 1000rds through it. Very accurate gun and priced around 435. If you like the 1911 grip, ease of the Sig Sauer takedown, and the Glock trigger. This gun has all of it rolled into one.

http://www.springfieldarmory.com
Old 11-29-2003, 01:32 PM

I am more of a 1911 guy, but I had Glock G-19(9mm) and I put 3000 rnds thru it with nary a hiccup. Fed every round of ammo I ever put in it. If you have been looking at Glocks, you won't be disappointed. W/ quality ammo like Cor-Bon's, 9mm IS a capable man-stopper, regardless of what some will tell you.
I would not hessitate to buy another Glock-beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it was a beauty...-Steve
Old 11-29-2003, 08:38 PM

I just traded for a Ruger 22-45 semi auto pistol in 22 caliber. This weapon is a joy to shoot, fairly accurate for the modest price. I have a P220 Sig that I have put over 7000 rounds through, my first Sig. I now have 3, 2 P220s and a P245. A little pricey but why would you trust a cheap weapon with your life. There are countless brands of weapons that are fine for plinking and hunting but for personal protection I'm a little more picky.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:21 PM

If self protection is your main concern, DO NOT get a semi automatic. It's a fact. Most accidental discharges happen with semi automatics. A revolver is the safest, most accident free choice of weapons. Unlike semi auto's, they can't accidently be fired. You have to pull the trigger....no safety's to worry about or fumble with. A .38 or .357 is a good choice. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Looking for a new handgun