Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

looking for a job, tips or leads???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 06:00 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was going to comment on the jobs in this country that big business is sending
across the creek. I feel for any AMERICAN who has an education and ability but
only speaks AMERICAN, it sucks to say the least.

I have no education, I are an AMERICAN dropout who has had teaching jobs in diesel mechanics and computer science. I used to make $40 an hour till the local college decided everyone had to have a masters degree but needed instructions on where to place the index finger.

I was laid off May 5 1975 from White Motor Corp in Cleveland Ohio. I was one
who actually worked....at the time.

Go into business for yourself. Buy a trailer and haul cars ...... works for me.

Just hang in there fellow AMERICAN!
Old 03-03-2005, 06:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The railroad is hiring about 4,500 people across the US in the next few years. Don't know exactly what jobs are opening up, but there should be a ME position somewhere in the mix.

www.BNSF.com

Don't give up, or get discouraged! Send out resumes and FOLLOW UP with a visit or phone call. It takes persistance, followup, follow up, follow up, follow up. Just sending out a resume is worthless unless you follow up. Potential bosses like to know the people they are hiring for engineering postions can take initiative, and follow up! Even if the say no call them again in a few weeks. Personal people like to know the people they are working with are "assertive" and not bumps on the log. Even if they say no call them again and ask them if they know of anyone else hiring ME's. FOLLOW UP!

Did I mention you should follow up?

Good luck.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Geico266

Good luck.
Good advice Geico. Follow up, follow up and then follow up again. Pat, also generally the larger the company, the better your chances; however, you may have to move in order to get that job. Try Lockheed Martin and Bell Helicopter here in Fort Worth.

John (DH)
Old 03-03-2005, 07:06 AM
Muted User

Location: "The Peoples Republic of Illinois".....behind enemy lines
Number 1: You have to be willing to move and/or relocate anywhere. If that is not something you want to do then part of your problem is self imposed. You need to go where the jobs are; they're are not gonna come to you usually. Number 2: Keep doing what you are doing and if needed, get a part time job just so you have some $$$ rolling in. Most jobs come by word of mouth and not from the computer or want ads. Number 3: Good luck.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:16 AM

As has been said before, you will most likely have to move to find a job. For me that is one of the big drawbacks of what I do, I have to live/work near a big city (Dallas).
If you won't have trouble getting a security clearance, try Raytheon in California, at one time they were looking for a lot of people.

Good luck and follow up (I "think" someone mentioned that)
~Rob
Old 03-03-2005, 09:26 AM

Well I checked BNSF and they do have a position for an intern in Montana apparently,
Intern (Mechanical) All BNSF Locations All BNSF Locations 02/15/2005
I already live near the so called automotive capital, no not Mexico.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:09 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Originally posted by Geico266
The railroad is hiring about 4,500 people across the US in the next few years. Don't know exactly what jobs are opening up, but there should be a ME position somewhere in the mix.

www.BNSF.com

Don't give up, or get discouraged! Send out resumes and FOLLOW UP with a visit or phone call. It takes persistance, followup, follow up, follow up, follow up. Just sending out a resume is worthless unless you follow up. Potential bosses like to know the people they are hiring for engineering postions can take initiative, and follow up! Even if the say no call them again in a few weeks. Personal people like to know the people they are working with are "assertive" and not bumps on the log. Even if they say no call them again and ask them if they know of anyone else hiring ME's. FOLLOW UP!

Good luck.
Yeah, they're choking in business now after all the downsizing over the years. That's part of the reason prices on everything shot up last summer. Seen the price of a 2x4 lately? Shortage on building materials from all the bottle necking. Same with concrete. Norfolk Southern is suppose to be recruiting in Detroit this month. I'm sure they're going all over the country. I hear through the grape vine, Canadian National has better working condition, although not the highest paying.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:07 PM

try India or Mexico-- we have sent a lot of jobs there in the past 4 years
Old 03-03-2005, 01:13 PM

There may be something on our job postings page for Kinder Morgan, Inc.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:13 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

You might call Schlumberger, Weatherford, or Haliburton in Rock Springs, WY and see if they know of any job postings. Even worms are starting out at good pay in the oil field...
Old 03-03-2005, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by Fronty Owner
You might call Schlumberger, Weatherford, or Haliburton in Rock Springs, WY and see if they know of any job postings. Even worms are starting out at good pay in the oil field...
buddy of mine just got a job with Haliburton and will be based out of Pinedale, WY. he gets $100 per drill site per day that he visits on top of his salary. not sure how often he will visit the sites but its a nice incentive.

again, thanks to all of you with the help,

Pat
Old 03-03-2005, 08:15 PM

I talking to a guy doing well testing in that area, he was pulling $500/day plus milage and expenses.
The oil service companies are booming right now. About a year and a half ago, I was busy, but not so much I couldn't take an afternoon off if I wanted to. Im pushing 60 hrs per week and sinking.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:16 PM

check out this site. don't worry you won't get your head shaved. click on the "civilian" tab and take a look. they have internships too. there is also a link to do job searches you can narrow by area or specialty. good luck.

http://www.afpc.randolph.af.mil/
Old 03-03-2005, 08:26 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Re: type of work i am interested in...

Originally posted by pgilles

when i was little, i used to ask for remote control cars for xmas. i never drove them, i always took them apart to find out how they work. that lasted for about two years. haha.
You sound like me. I got tired of the employment ratrace and because I was in my 50's jobs were getting harder to find also. I went into consulting about 7 years ago and I haven't looked back. I set my own hours (24/day) and my own rates. My biggest worry is customers who are slow to pay but thankfully I don't have many of those types. Guess which customers get the best service.

eBay has a service where you can advcertize your skills and bid on jobs. Check it out at:

http://www.elance.com/c/cats/main/sellers.pl?&rid=VDBT

(At least I think it's affiliated with eBay. Might not be though.)

Edwin
Old 03-03-2005, 09:04 PM

I just logged into ASME and they ahve 83 jobs listed, a few are entry level, but most are 4 to 10 years experience. I found one I liked, but they wanted 10 yrs plus PhD. What can you expect for Honolulu....

Quick Reply: looking for a job, tips or leads???