Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

looking for a job, tips or leads???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for a job, tips or leads???

i am going to vent a little here,
so i graduated with a mechanical engineering degree from Montana State University. i have been searching for a job but get to deal with the infamous "experience" issue. i have worked for $$$ since i have been 12 years old, but it seems like my commitment to work through the years means nothing since i dont have any engineering experience. i applied to an internship (contract to hire) but they emailed me back asking for experience. that was frustrating because an internship is the way to gain experience, it should not require it out of the applicant. i have many resumes out there and i follow up, i leave messages, but never get responded back to. i know i have the common sense that many of my fellow students did not, i know how to apply what is taught in school to real-world applications, i am mechanically inclined, i like to work, and am very personable.

on the other hand, i have had some interviews lately and i know it takes time but **** i just want a job.

anyone out there hiring engineers? any leads? any tips?

i just needed to vent a little, thanks for listening

Pat
Old 03-02-2005, 05:54 PM

go on monster and search it out, i know it can be frustrating, i have all the experience in the world and no degree and am looking for a job also. at least with a degree once you get a job you know it will pay good. good luck, keep your head up and be yourself, dont sell yourself short.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:00 PM

im a part of monster and careerbuilder. once i am in the field i know i will be fine, its just entry level positions are tough. i do keep my values/personality going into the jobs, maybe a little fudging as to how interested i am in the job/employer but you gotta do what you gotta do. such as when i wear a suit going into an interview, its not me but i need to impress these people.

Pat
Old 03-02-2005, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need an engineer. It might be too far for you to drive to work every day though!!

Requirement: Atmospheric condensation collection and distribution engineer.

I run a Seamless Gutter company.

I couldn't resist!
Old 03-02-2005, 07:51 PM

Unfortunately I know exactly what you are going through as I'm going through the exact same thing right now. I just graduated last semester with a BSME and I've been told no once or twice already due to lack of experience, everyone else just ignores my resume for the position. What really sucked was my first interview was a week late, the guy goes to be honest I just hired a entry level position last week and I doubt we will have any soon again, but what I will do is distribute your name among our team leaders so if they need somebody.... So after meeting the plant managers for 2 plants, and a project engineer for a soon to be one I'm still jobless. They've asked/ offered positions in other states but I'm not interested in that. I'm hoping / waiting to hear back from another company I interviewed with back when I was in college, but they wanted me for a 4-12shift and all my classes were after 3pm so it was a no go. I put my resume out to 6 places today, I honestly don't expect to hear back from any but you never know unless you try....
Old 03-02-2005, 08:12 PM

Don't have any contact information on this one. I think it is the Shell refinera at Cherry point, Ferdale WA is expanding and adding new equipment. There is suppose to be about 300 jobs open up. If I find out more I will post it.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:27 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

have you tried monster.com or asme.org? they both have several job listings.

Been working as an engineer now for 5 years, EIT registered for 4.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:11 PM

Pat, where are you looking -- Bozeman area right? What sorts of jobs would you be qualified for with a mechanical engineering degree?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:22 PM

Unhappy job hunting

Job hunting is not fun. I was laid off 2 1/2 years ago and went 2 full years without an eng job. I sent out 20-50 resumes a day 5 days a week during this time. My job was to send resumes and respond as required. This was a full time job to get a job. I was willing to travel anywhere. The first year zip not even an interview. 18 years exp in 5 diferent fields, fluent in at least 4 modern cad systems as well as MS office. Plus 10+ years as a toolmaker. Excellent work record and letters of recommendation.
Finally I got a couple bites but I was told I was over qualified. Short for too old. I was po'd. I don't drink or smoke and can run circles around these people. I come to work every day rain or shine, do my job and stay away from the water cooler design things that work the 1st time.

The final interview came. I brushed up on the interview skills, the co, the town, the state (used to live there helped). Came the day and I was wired. Let me tell you this was the toughest interview I ever had. 5 eng asked every question in the book, about every thing. every line of my resume was examined, every letter of recommendation. I even had to get 3 more references. I passed but they wanted a trial period of a month. Test drive if you will. I finally passed and here I am.

All I can say is it is a tough row to hoe. Not only do you have 5 yr or more schooling of nothing but math and physics, but now they want `10+ yr experience. Tell me where do you get gyroscope design exp?? 1 place ..aerospace. How do you get in there?? got me. I got in because the co didn't know what they were doing and I had an answer. Pure luck. Lasted 4 years before the job dried up.

You have to flood the field with good resumes, do just like you are doing ..ask everyone about jobs, be flexible in location and hours and salary. You don't have much choice as you are at the bottom of the food chain with no exp. The more you dig in the job market the more leads you will find. Mean time try for a temp job or contract. You may have to low ball to get in the door, but once you do don't look back.

good luck.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:41 PM

I'm watching monster.com all the time but haven't tried asme.org, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:03 PM

Have you check on Cummins website ,they always some entry level engineering position open. here is a link
http://sh.webhire.com/public/659/
and try this one out , Cummins owns half of this company and they handle Cummins gas engine side. it is called Westport Innovations.
http://www.westport.com/careers/index.php
Old 03-02-2005, 10:38 PM

Yea I looked at those before but they aren't in Michigan or in Pat's case Montana. Thanks anyway.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:39 PM

i have found some Cummins jobs but they usually end the job qualifications with "fluent in spanish, chinese, japanese".

i have about 80 resumes out. internships, entry level, mid level, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, test engineer, anything. just to get my name out there. i follow up on the ones that really excite me. i have applied all around the country, but would like montana or minnesota. found a couple in bozeman, MT and need to follow up tomorrow. as well as minnesota area.

it has came down to me questioning the human resources department on the phone as to how i get experience if no one is willing to give it to me. seems to get a decent response, they are understanding, just cant do much about it.

thanks for all your replies and keep the info coming, Pat
Old 03-02-2005, 11:49 PM

type of work i am interested in...

i like mechanical objects that i can see, feel, hear, design. structures, machine design, strength of materials, statics, stresses, strain, etc etc these aspects of engineering have my attention. i dont care for thermodynamics or heat transfer but do enjoy fluid dynamics.

if my truck is broke, I fix it. if my snowmobile is broke, I fix it. if family, friends, or fellow students (engineering students included) need help fixing whatever it might be, they usually come to me. i feel i can jump into something, foresee the problem, and correct what might be causing it. i dont always find the solution, but usually can pinpoint the problem.

when i was little, i used to ask for remote control cars for xmas. i never drove them, i always took them apart to find out how they work. that lasted for about two years. haha.

i have always known since 3rd grade i wanted to be an engineer, i am just ready for someone to give me my chance.

Pat
Old 03-02-2005, 11:55 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by j-fox
I need an engineer. It might be too far for you to drive to work every day though!!

Requirement: Atmospheric condensation collection and distribution engineer.

I run a Seamless Gutter company.

I couldn't resist!

Ok, that's funny!

Quick Reply: looking for a job, tips or leads???