Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Looking for a Diesel Compact

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njoverkill
The benefit is really kicking in most now that i have taken my truck 100% off the road, no insurance no maintenance no fuel. I don't have to fight the urge to drive it because it doesn't run

It's funny, I broke my ECM and my APPS in 1 night and taking it off the road is well paying for the parts replacement in just a few months just in insurance,gas.
You can't do that in SC, insurance has to be maintained in order to have a tag. If you cancel the insurance then you have to turn in the tag. When you decide to get insurance again and try to get a tag they charge you $400. Also, you can not "sell" or give the vehicle to a person living at the same address to get around the $400 fee.

Hyspeed
Old 12-07-2005, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems finding a decent priced diesel is not as easy as I had thought. Out of what I've seen, they are either above my price range or have the "salvaged" title . Anyway, I had mentioned to the wifey about my thoughts of getting a third vehicle (we have the 97 CTD and a 01 Impala LS) "for the mileage". What I heard from her was if I needed another vehicle, I should trade in the Impala for the 2006 Impala SS. Sounds like a great plan except for the fact that the 06 would definitely get less mileage than the 01 does (due to my heavy foot and the cool sound of the SS) and the monthly payments would start all over again.

I am rethinking the whole third vehicle with two drivers deal now or if I want those vehicle payments again. Plus - I know my kids would want to constantly "borrow" whatever is left in the driveway

Maybe I can clean out the garage and get an older muscle car like a Cuda or a Chevelle.... Or I could look for an older Harley (late 50's) and do a frame up restoration. Either of these projects could be as the wallet affords Hmmmmm I think I need to expand the garage first
Old 12-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Banned

You could always stick a small Diesel into your own compact car.

A Cummins in a Gremlin, for instance, is a popular conversion...
Old 12-07-2005, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Begle1
You could always stick a small Diesel into your own compact car.

A Cummins in a Gremlin, for instance, is a popular conversion...

Great Idea Begle1!

Anyone out there have an extra Gremlin in good shape? Engine not required. All I have laying around is my Son's 78 Camero with a blown-up engine and a ton of rust and body damage. Not a good donor car.

Oh yea, also looking for a small Diesel with transmission - prefer it to be in running condition