Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Looking for advice for 4x4 Utility ATV/Quad

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my 04 Grizz 660 in late 04 I believe (year purchased was teh same as model year), the Grizz had 11.2 miles on it and about 2 hours... Guy was building a house and running short on funds... I paid $4500 for it.

I have and still do work the crap out of that thing... I pull the boat around the yard (23' mastercraft) lawn trailer, jetskiis in and out of the water, anything that I need to. I also have a 02 Grizz 600 (may be late 01 I forget when the change was), thing is also a work horse, but man that straight axle will murder the body!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I've got an '03 Grizzly 660. Good machine, does everything I need it to. But I would stay away from the '03 Grizzly. Yamaha had some axles issues in '03 that weren't a problem in any other year model. I snapped a rear CV within 3 hours of putting on a lift and bigger tires. Probably would have lasted longer if it stayed stock...but I've read of some people breaking them even on stock parts.

Definitely look for the independent rear suspension...much nicer.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:51 AM

Most people here who have an ATV have said somthing to the affect of, "I work the crap out of it." So when buying a used ATV, you have to consider, if it has a 1000 miles on it; that's the equivelant of drivin from WI to CO and hitting every pothole, rock, bump, jump along the way. And some of that may have been pushing a plow or towing a boat. If you are going to buy used, make sure to pull every cover off you can and inspect front to back with a good spotlight. There's certianly good deals to be had with enough time and patience (I have neither).
Old 04-29-2008, 02:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You also have to consider these machines are made to work in harsh conditions, take extreme abuse, and with proper maintenance run like new for years. I had an 05 grizzly, traded it for the 07 FI with EPS. It has been worth every penny. I agree with the others about sharp turns and sliding with IRS, it is considerably harder. I however have had plenty of time to practice and have it mastered, the power steering makes a few ppl nervous when going 45+mph, but that keeps them on their toes. I see it as an active safety function. Fuel injection has been very beneficial to the ATV world, and it gets better evry year.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by tinkerin-w-stuf
Most people here who have an ATV have said somthing to the affect of, "I work the crap out of it." So when buying a used ATV, you have to consider, if it has a 1000 miles on it; that's the equivelant of drivin from WI to CO and hitting every pothole, rock, bump, jump along the way. And some of that may have been pushing a plow or towing a boat. If you are going to buy used, make sure to pull every cover off you can and inspect front to back with a good spotlight. There's certianly good deals to be had with enough time and patience (I have neither).
Yep[ mine has around 2000-2500 miles on it now... all hard miles... No highway! Well not much anyhow!
Old 04-29-2008, 04:17 PM

I have a 1994 Honda Fourtax 4x4 that my grandfather bought new and I inherited, I know its alot older than what your looking at. My grandpa ran it everyday, until 2001, and used it for everything. He had 140 head and this was his main transportation on the farm, its had the racks bent, broke, and welded. Its pushed, pulled, hauled, been rolled several times, wore out three seats, you name it its done it and it just wont die, I wish it had an odometer on it, I'm curious how many miles it has. I dont use it much now other than to play with and I have been very impressed with it and one of these days when it finally stops I will definitely buy another honda, no questions asked, they have proven themselves to me. Not trying to be a honda commercial here, but thats just my .02 on it. I havent been around many newer ones so I dont know what they are like.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:26 AM

Thanks to all responders, I appreciate all of the input and advice. I am not in a hurry and would like to sell my Honda Shadow A.C.E. prior to purchase of a quad. Thanks again and keep ‘em coming!
Old 05-01-2008, 12:06 AM

I like the old 250 Suzuski (kinda sounds Polish don't it?) Quad Runners and the later 300 King Quads for what you're talking about ..... 4WD with differential lock, independent suspension F & R, a really good frame-mounted trailer hitch AND 15 speeds forward and 3 reverse makes even the 250s pull like a train. I've got one of each and they're busy all the time around here spraying, checking stock, fencing, dragging pasture, irrigating or just going to the top of the ridge to see the sunset ...... I bought 'em used and neither one owes me a dime
Old 05-07-2008, 09:43 AM

Okay my search for a used machine is over and I believe I have narrowed my search for a new machine down to two models.

1. New 2008 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO (carb version) OTD price of $5680.

2. New 2007 Suzuki Vinson 500 Semi-Auto OTD price of $5737.

These prices all include registration and 6% sales tax.

I am really leaning towards the Polaris for the IRS, and the dealer is one mile down the road.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:23 AM
DTR College Boy and FUN SIZED!!!!!!!!!!

I've got a 02 Polaris Sportsman 500 and it has run great. No issues. Everyone in my family seems to run Polaris 4x4's. I may get a new one eventually, and I have to say this is VERY appealing: http://arcticcat.com/atv/vehicle.asp?id=859
More than you want to spend, but ya, it's diesel. What else could ya want?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:42 AM

Opinions are like what?
06 Vinson owner here..happy with it..runs great with the stock size tires..the new Mudlites took some power out. Starts fine in the cold...nothing like a Carb'd Honda.
I didnt want IRS, and never heard a bad thing about a Vinson..other than 02's having some shift problems.
My only complaint isnt the bikes fault. SB tailgate wont close when she's loaded. Sorry the Honda got in the Pic......
Good Luck--
Attached Thumbnails Looking for advice for 4x4 Utility ATV/Quad-img_0050.jpg