Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Looking for advice for 4x4 Utility ATV/Quad

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for advice for 4x4 Utility ATV/Quad

As the title states, I am in the market for a 4x4 Utility ATV, 500cc max? I am thinking used, 2000 - 2005, about $4500 tops. The main uses would be snow plowing, hunting and general work. Maybe a quad ride once in a while.

Of course I would want the cleanest, best kept used quad possible with low hours and best price... typical???

Not having any experience with ATV's, I am looking for advice here from some people who own and ride them. Open to all makes except the el-cheapo disposable brands.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:20 AM

i(my wifes)have a suzuki 400 eiger automatic and it is bullit proof. works hard on the farm but fun to trail. took it with us to st. anthony dunes and it went just about everwhere we wanted it to, with trail tires.
Clark
Old 04-28-2008, 12:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a Yamaha Kodiak 450 4x4 that was just amazing for its size. Any of the yamahas would be a good choice, they are known for their simplicity and reliability. I would also look at a Honda, a rancher or something of the sorts, they are dependable (steer away from electric shift) but lack the ground clearance i like. I've never had good luck with polaris, they are junk in my experience, but I know many loyal and bona-fide Polaris owners. just not me. i respect Kawasaki but agin I've seen friends with troubles (radiator, 4x4, carb woes). I haven't had much experience with Suzuki, never had the need to try them out, the yamahas are tops in my book.

I would suggest finding one with independent rear suspension (05 kodiaks) as it will be more comfortable, more nimble, and will give you better grab in the snow when pushing a blade. if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:46 PM

My best advice is get fuel injected if at all possible. Our sportsman 700 runs like a top in the summer, but come winter it's a mean cold blooded SOB. You can get it rejet, but then the same stuff that bugged you in the winter starts happening in the summer.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
In or close to that price range you might be able to snag a Honda 500 Foreman. It's a basic 5 speed with auto clutch, air and oil cooled. Later electric shift ones seem to be more reliable than the earlier ones, but I prefer a foot shift anyway. Solid rear axle. The Foreman is kind of stone-axe simple, with a reputation for long term dependability.

If you prefer an auto, you might spend a little more but you could think about the 500 Rubicon. It's liquid cooled hydrostat auto transmission, and is very well suited to dragging and heavy plowing.

Rancher wise, I don't know what the 420's are going for (they haven't been out that long) but they are fuel injected, liquid cooled, and sporty handling, a little smaller and lower than the 500 class machines and a lot of 400's.

A buddy of mine had a 400 Eiger, an air cooled quad with a pretty soft ride for a solid rear axle. His was a CVT belt auto, but they come in foot shift 5 speed auto clutch, too. Up from there you might find a 500 Vinson, which is a solid rear axle that comes in foot shift or CVT auto.

Yamaha also makes some very nice machines. The 450 griz is independent rear suspension, and it has a locker.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:21 PM

I'm all for buying used stuff in most circumstances and letting someone else take the hit in depreciation. However, when it comes to ATV's I'd strongly consider buying new. These are high abuse items and if you plan on keeping it for a length of time, it's good to know what it's been thru.

Whatever you get, I agree with what others have said and feel that independent suspension is priceless. Wished I would have sprung for the extra cost for fuel injection and believe it or not, power steering. The power steering really helps take the abuse when hitting rocks, potholes, and while the front axle is locked in 4X4.

Larger CID machines are less finicky about rejetting if you want to go up or down in altitudes. My '06 Yamaha 660 Grizzly is jetted for 6000 feet so I can use it where I'm at around 4k and can go up into the mountains without rejetting. We'd like to get a smaller machine so the lady can ride her own, the 660 is a little big for her to ride safely in rough terrain.

I think like anything else, all the major brands have their plus' and minus' but I like how quite some of the Honda's are compared to my Grizzly.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by tinkerin-w-stuf
Larger CID machines are less finicky about rejetting if you want to go up or down in altitudes. My '06 Yamaha 660 Grizzly is jetted for 6000 feet so I can use it where I'm at around 4k and can go up into the mountains without rejetting. We'd like to get a smaller machine so the lady can ride her own, the 660 is a little big for her to ride safely in rough terrain.

I think like anything else, all the major brands have their plus' and minus' but I like how quite some of the Honda's are compared to my Grizzly.
My brother in law has a 04 version of that, and loves it. He uses it in the mountains in Virginia, and never has problems.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I second the thing on power steering. The bar can really kick back when you smack that rock that was hidden in the grass along side the trail. A steering damper might solve most of that, though.

Also, there are advantages and disadvantages in the independent rear suspension vs solid rear axle...

IRS offers better ground clearance, and better ride over rough trails especially at higher speeds. On the other hand IRS machines have more body lean on off camber trails or sweeping corners. SRA's power slide around corners better, and mainly they will handle heavy trailer hitch weights without squatting, because the hitch weight is on the axle and not on the body/suspension. There are also fewer CV joints and boots to get torn.

I looked at used a little, but ones that were in nice shape weren't that much less than a new one with a warranty, plus there have been suspension and other improvements over the last few years.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I bought a 2003 polaris ranger for 1600 bucks its in great shape and exactly what I wanted just figgure out what you want and be patient you can find whaty you want for the price you are willing to pay. Did I mention it has a winch its by far the handiest piece of equipment I've ever had.

As far as 4 wheelers we have 4 hondas weve never had an opunce of trouble out of any of them.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:34 PM

You can find a good used machine but if the owner hesitates when you ask if you cna have it checked out then walk away. I am a Yamaha fan. I had a Big Bear 400 that I thoroughly abused and couldnt hurt it. I now have the 700 Grizz and wouldn't have anything elso. Hondas are good but I think you pay for a lot of the name. There are better deals and harder workers.

Bearwhiz
Old 04-28-2008, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dad was in the exact same situation you are last fall. He wound up with a 04 Polaris 500 ATP. Its an ATV that they strech 6 inches and put a pickup bock on the back instead of a rack. Otherwise it locks identical to a normal ATV. He has only put abought 1 or 2 miles on it all winter and now wants to sell it and get a Grizzly like mine. If He paid $3700 for it with only around 1000 miles on it. Personaly I love the Grizlys but honestly you are not gona find one clean and used with low miles for the price range you are looking in. Dad looked for quite a whiel localy before setteling on the ATP and now he wants a diferent one. My wifes 660 has 4500 hard miles on it and 3 years of plowing snow and I wouldent let it go for less than $4500. Its real clean and obsesivly maintained but most are not and thats the problem with buying used.

Here is a web site for a local used ATV dealer. It will give ya an idea of what units bring what price. Check the site daily as some machines are only there for a day or two before they sell.

http://powerbrokersinc.com/
Old 04-28-2008, 10:00 PM

I've got a Yamaha Grizzly 450 4x4. Its got plenty of power unless you want the fastest quad or tow big loads all the time.

I weigh about 240 and have hauled myself and a big mule deer buck out whole. We rode out of a nasty canyon and I never felt like I needed more power.

My brother has a Suzuki King Quad 450 thats also a pretty nice machine. The thing I don't like is the size. Its the same size as the KQ 700,in other words a BIG quad. It dwarfs my quad if they're sitting SxS.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by tinkerin-w-stuf
I'm all for buying used stuff in most circumstances and letting someone else take the hit in depreciation. However, when it comes to ATV's I'd strongly consider buying new. These are high abuse items and if you plan on keeping it for a length of time, it's good to know what it's been thru.
Not sure I agree. My Honda Rubicon sees severe service and I just brought it in for a regular oil change. Service guy said it looked great. I have over 7,000 hours on it. Almost all farm work. But I see tons of ATV's in town that just sit until they get the for sale sign. Lots of people buy them as a toy, not a tool.
I love the hydrostatic trans on the Rubicon. I know some ATVs have a snowmobile type band drives. They fail in a wet, muddy application.
I can't say much negative about my Rubicon. Like someone else said, it is carbs not F/I and was cold blooded in the winter until I got over 800 hours on it. Now it doesn't care but I did have some frustrating starts with it for awhile. Hmmm, the seat rips kinda easy too and I have to hit the racks with Rustoleum every now and again to keep her looking purty.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:38 AM

Having a 450 foreman, Id stay away from honda, NO front locker or IRS on the older models. You are going to want to have front locker, but after not having one I kick myself for not getting one. and IRS (independent rear suspension) rides 10x better than a straight axle. On that note, Id go Yamaha or Suzuki, Polarias and Kawi, arent a bad choice either.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:26 AM

I have a 2006 King Quad 700(I know bigger then your looking for) but it will take any thing you throw at it, weather it be plowing or playing. I paid a little over 5k a year ago for it with 35 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice for 4x4 Utility ATV/Quad